inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

I have been doing some research on historic London pubs and apparently every pub in London has had Pepys and Dickens drinking there at some point. Something ''to tell the Americans'' I feel.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:54 PM, Dazey said:

Yeah, he's from Leicester. Y'all at least have electricity and running water in Georgia. :lol:  

The Old Town and around the university and canals isn't actually bad. There are some historic pubs, churches, lots of interesting restaurants and this old arsenal building. I'd rather drink in Leicester's Old Town than Newcastle. The rest of the city is a bit of a cakehole though.

Edited by DieselDaisy

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'd rather drink in Leicester's Old Town than Newcastle.

How is it for slags? :lol:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

How is it for slags? :lol:

There were strangely a lot of ''characters'' and minor incidents in the four days I was there.

On 18/01/2020 at 11:36 PM, spunko12345 said:

Did they even bother having teachers in your class or did they just wheel the fucking telly out and stick UK Gold on 😄

There's a vein of truth in that y'know.  I distinctly remember a few times bunking off school and when there's was no one I could go hang out with I used to camp out in my sisters room with the door locked until I heard the old man leave out the front door and then veg out in front of the telly watching all these videos of stuff taped off the telly like Bottom and The Young Ones and, predictably enough, In Sickness and in Health.  My mate Marks dad used to work on the post and he had something like 15 cassettes worth of it.  I was the master bunker of the home counties, I remember my IT teacher lobbing a book at my head once, it was one of those end of term show your work thingies and I'd done like 3 sides of this exercise book, I tell ya she weren't half pissed, sent me to see the head of year too, she was a sour-faced old bag.  She's since died of a haemorrage of some sort so needless to say I had the last laugh there :lol:

• Haha 1

On 17/01/2020 at 3:53 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Anyone been to Krakow? I'll try that next year, October.

Yes, I've been. You'll love it. Plenty of ornate old buildings, plazas and cathedrals in a beautiful country. Decent food and beer, doesn't feel too touristy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Yes, I've been. You'll love it. Plenty of ornate old buildings, plazas and cathedrals in a beautiful country. Decent food and beer, doesn't feel too touristy. 

Did you visit Auschwitz, excursion? Not sure I will, although I will certainly visit Schindler's factory which is located in Krakow itself. 

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Did you visit Auschwitz, excursion? Not sure I will, although I will certainly visit Schindler's factory which is located in Krakow itself. 

My youngest went last year, loved the city and said Auschwitz was very emotional for her. 

She also said that there were people taking selfies at Auschwitz which seemed disrespectful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

My youngest went last year, loved the city and said Auschwitz was very emotional for her. 

She also said that there were people taking selfies at Auschwitz which seemed disrespectful.

''This is me outside the gas chamber...this is me outside the crematoria''.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

''This is me outside the gas chamber...this is me outside the crematoria''.

That's more or less what they were doing

Just now, janrichmond said:

That's more or less what they were doing

I saw a bit too much Holocaust last year as I saw the top floor of the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth, which has an exhibition on that subject, the worst of which (at least for me) was a pyramid made of children's shoes confiscated when they entered the camps. I furthermore saw the Pinkas Synagogue in Prague's Jewish Quarter, which has been turned into a memorial-museum to Prague's lost Jewish community, all sent to the camps, most of them probably to Auschwitz; there is a name to each person covering the walls,

Prague_Praha_2014_Holmstad_flott_Navn_p%

And there is also a museum on the top floor. In that museum were children's drawings done from the camps, of trains and guards! 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I saw a bit too much Holocaust last year as I saw the top floor of the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth, which has an exhibition on that subject, the worst of which (at least for me) was a pyramid made of children's shoes confiscated when they entered the camps.

I went to that too, and i cried at the shoes, there were so many

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes. It's certainly a worthwhile visit, especially these days as antisemitism is on the rise again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Mobile Phone upgrade time any suggestions?

Keep your old handset and get a sim only deal. I stopped upgrading my phone about 3 years ago. Was paying about £150 a month for mine and the missus' phones on a 2 year contract. As soon as it ended I dropped to sim only and now I'm paying less than £30 a month. In fact on a current deal I'm paying less than a tenner a month for each.

18 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Keep your old handset and get a sim only deal. I stopped upgrading my phone about 3 years ago. Was paying about £150 a month for mine and the missus' phones on a 2 year contract. As soon as it ended I dropped to sim only and now I'm paying less than £30 a month. In fact on a current deal I'm paying less than a tenner a month for each.

Might have a look into this.

Got a Note 9 at the moment still a really good little runner does what I need it to do.

6 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Might have a look into this.

Got a Note 9 at the moment still a really good little runner does what I need it to do.

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't really see all that much of a difference between my 4 year old iPhone 6s Plus and the new super duper wanker iPhone. I mean it's got a better camera and wotnot but it's certainly not worth dropping a grand on.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't really see all that much of a difference between my 4 year old iPhone 6s Plus and the new super duper wanker iPhone. I mean it's got a better camera and wotnot but it's certainly not worth dropping a grand on.

They ain’t really grown substantially speaking, in terms of function, since your 5 pluses or  S or whatever bollocks it was called.  Make em a bit bigger, sharper camera, thats about all they’ve done, waste of time if you ask me.

Don’t it get on your tits now long a fuckin’ blokes haircut takes these days?  I dunno what it is with these new fuckin’ barbers, they take fuckin’ yonks.  10-15 mins, thats how long a blokes haircut should take, in and out, all this faffin’ about with fades and fuckin’ blending and all that shit, first of all a fade is a fuckin’ black mans haircut, no white man or asian or whoever should have a fuckin’ fade, fuckin’ around half an hour in a fuckin’ barbers chair like a poof, fuckin’ get on with it you cunt.

Fuckin’ barber, proper benders job that is.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Don’t it get on your tits now long a fuckin’ blokes haircut takes these days?  I dunno what it is with these new fuckin’ barbers, they take fuckin’ yonks.  10-15 mins, thats how long a blokes haircut should take, in and out, all this faffin’ about with fades and fuckin’ blending and all that shit, first of all a fade is a fuckin’ black mans haircut, no white man or asian or whoever should have a fuckin’ fade, fuckin’ around half an hour in a fuckin’ barbers chair like a poof, fuckin’ get on with it you cunt.

I've been going to the same bloke since I was in school. Dangerous Don, he's about 80 now and knows what I want without me needing to tell him. Short tidy up on the top with the scissors and number 2 round the sides and back. 

He gets the open razor blade to even it up on the neck line. It's starting to get a bit fucking nerve wracking that part at the end, old Don with his razor round the neck area 😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

It's ridiculous. It took my barber sometimes up to 45 minutes.

I haven't been to one in years, though. I started doing it myself. It happened by accident once because I wasn't happy with my haircut after I got back from the barber one day, so I tried to fix it myself and I thought I did a good enough job because it looked better than before, so I kept doing it. It might not look like a million bucks, but no one has ever commented on how bad it looks or asked in a joking way if I cut my own hair (I've actually become good at it by now), so it's good enough for me.

Edited by EvanG

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's ridiculous. It took my barber sometimes up to 45 minutes.

I haven't been to one in years, though. I started doing it myself. It happened by accident once because I wasn't happy with my haircut after I got back from the barber one day, so I tried to fix it myself and I thought I did a good enough job because it looked better than before, so I kept doing it. It might not look like a million bucks, but no one has ever commented on how bad it looks or asked in a joking matter if I cut my own hair (I've actually become good at it by now), so it's good enough for me.

How do you do the back of your head? A few years ago I shaved my head in the summer and I fucked the back totally. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I like the scalp massages I get at my barber. Almost makes me feel it is worth the price.

I know a great barber in Manchester for a scalp massage if by barber shop you mean brothel and if by scalp you mean penis. :lol: 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I know a great barber in Manchester for a scalp massage if by barber shop you mean brothel and if by scalp you mean penis. :lol: 

To be fair I thought his post was a euphemism for a tip rub :lol: