inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

After allthe years i still havent seen a better comedy/tv series than Blackadder Goes ForthūüėĄūüėĄ

You've not been looking hard enough. :lol: 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

After allthe years i still havent seen a better comedy/tv series than Blackadder Goes ForthūüėĄūüėĄ

Darling :Oh sir, just one thing. If we should happen to tread on a mine, what do we do?

Blackadder : Well, normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area

It is great, but this only means you haven't seen the first three seasons of Arrested Development.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Schofield, somebody who lied to his wife for twenty-seven years (and if the rumours are correct, only ''came out'' anyway because a kiss and tell bumboy newsstory was imminent), now a ''brave hero'' for the pc/woke crowd. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Schofield, somebody who lied to his wife for twenty-seven years (and if the rumours are correct, only ''came out'' anyway because a kiss and tell bumboy newsstory was imminent), now a ''brave hero'' for the pc/woke crowd. 

everyone is gay these days. I'm surprised this is even newsworthy. if you really want to score woke points these days, you need to come out as a tranny (although I have already seen stories of trannys going back to their original sexe, so it's hard to keep  up).

5 minutes ago, action said:

everyone is gay these days. I'm surprised this is even newsworthy. if you really want to score woke points these days, you need to come out as a tranny (although I have already seen stories of trannys going back to their original sexe, so it's hard to keep  up).

If you want to be really original in this day and age, you'd have to ''come out'' as heterosexual. (Aged 16) ''mama dearest, Papa, I have a confession: I'm straight''. 

31 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Schofield, somebody who lied to his wife for twenty-seven years

As someone who was gaslit by my own mother for years, I can guarantee the effect on his family is likely to be traumatic, especially if he's been having affairs. I suspect some people close to him are being supportive, conflating that with not being homophobic. A happier life does await him, probably not for his daughters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It is great, but this only means you haven't seen the first three seasons of Arrested Development.

Went downhill after Mr Wendal.

• Like 1

Ciara is approaching from the North Sea and has reached hurricane force. I think I'll stay in today.

37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Ciara is approaching from the North Sea and has reached hurricane force. I think I'll stay in today.

Stay safe! I didn't realize that you got those types of storms there. Is it often that you do?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Stay safe! I didn't realize that you got those types of storms there. Is it often that you do?

Not at all. And hurricane force is even more rare. But this is nothing like real hurricanes which other parts of the world have to deal with, this is just a big storm really.

It's supposed to hit late afternoon and evening and I live two hours from the coast but the wind is already going crazy right now from what I can hear, so I reckon this is a pretty big storm for Western European standards.

All the football matches have been called off today and I think a lot of people are more upset about that than anything else.

• Wow 1

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Not at all. And hurricane force is even more rare. But this is nothing like real hurricanes which other parts of the world have to deal with, this is just a big storm really.

It's supposed to hit late afternoon and evening and I live two hours from the coast but the wind is already going crazy right now from what I can hear, so I reckon this is a pretty big storm for Western European standards.

All the football matches have been called off today and I think a lot of people are more upset about that than anything else.

Yikes. Crazy times. I think I know the type of storm, where its hurricane force but not a hurricane. And I was way more inland than you - it was still brutal. 

Charge up all your devices for when the powers out! I guess it will be football reruns today then. 

I hope this wont be the new normal for y'all. I guess if its rare weather the clean up will be a bit slower since they arent used to it. 

I wonder what Hollands most searched terms will be while everyone is stuck indoors?

30 minutes ago, soon said:

And I was way more inland than you

It's funny when I'm talking to people from large countries... to you two hours from the sea is probably close by, but to me it's far away. I haven't been to the beach in years. When I was in Canada, the lady we stayed with, had to drive thirty minutes to get to the nearest supermarket... I can't even imagine that!

I guess it will be football reruns today then. 

I don't mind, I don't watch football anyway. 

I hope this wont be the new normal for y'all. I guess if its rare weather the clean up will be a bit slower since they arent used to it. 

I think we have a storm maybe once or twice a year, but it doesn't leave much damage behind. Almost everything is mild here. But yeah, this will happen more often due to climate change.

I wonder what Hollands most searched terms will be while everyone is stuck indoors?

Actually, I think a lot of people, especially the ones near the coast, will go outside to ''enjoy'' the storm. This always happens.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor storm strand wind

Edited by EvanG

39 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's funny when I'm talking to people from large countries... to you two hours from the sea is probably close by, but to me it's far away. I haven't been to the beach in years. When I was in Canada, the lady we stayed with, had to drive thirty minutes to get to the nearest supermarket... I can't even imagine that!

I don't mind, I don't watch football anyway. 

I think we have a storm maybe once or twice a year, but it doesn't leave much damage behind. Almost everything is mild here. But yeah, this will happen more often due to climate change.

Actually, I think a lot of people, especially the ones near the coast, will go outside to ''enjoy'' the storm. This always happens.

You also have a cycling contest of 8k against the wind. Funny.

30 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Thats totally it! If I lived two hours from the sea I would be there every weekend.

Yeah, the 30 minute drive is crazy, eh? Theres a minority of really deep-country folk who you can spot a mile away when they drive in for the supermarket. Because they 'ooh and aww" at the displays. They seem to notice any given new products that I wouldnt have seen. 

Theres fly-in communities in the north with no supermarkets either. People there have to pay huge money and order groceries well in advance to be flown in. And what is available at the smaller grocers is incredibly expensive, to the point of being cost prohibitive. One guy is famous for his business flying-in buckets of KFC chicken that he charges like $100 for!

40 minutes ago, EvanG said:

HAHAHA, crazy bastards!!! :headbang:

Pretty impressive form! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lio said:

You also have a cycling contest of 8k against the wind. Funny.

Jeez... I had never even heard about it...

A lot of them are old geezers too;

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor storm fietsen tegen wind vandaag

• Haha 3

I watched the Oscars last night. Have to say the show was pretty good.

What a surprise when Emenem came out and sang his song from his movie. I didn't hear anything about him being on the show.

It was cool to see Brad Pitt win the Oscar for Once upon a time in Hollywood.

No surprise about Rene and Joaquin. Joaquin's speech was so touching. The part of his speech about humanity was spot on and the story about the mother cow made me cry. Loved how he finished his speech with a story about his brother, Phoenix.

All in all I think it was a very good show and all the speeches were spot on without anyone grandstanding.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 10:10 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

No surprise about Rene and Joaquin. Joaquin's speech was so touching. The part of his speech about humanity was spot on and the story about the mother cow made me cry. Loved how he finished his speech with a story about his brother, Phoenix.

Loved how he took the opportunity to talk about cows.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single film of his.  U Turn, thats about it, even that was yonks ago.

53 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don’t think I’ve seen a single film of his.  U Turn, thats about it, even that was yonks ago.

He is in Gladiator and Walk the Line. I like Joker incidentally but I am beginning to feel it is over-hyped; well it lost to the superior film irrespective (Parasite) so maybe I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is in Gladiator and Walk the Line. I like Joker incidentally but I am beginning to feel it is over-hyped; well it lost to the superior film irrespective (Parasite) so maybe I'm wrong.

I've seen bits and bobs of Gladiator on the telly a few times, lots of bits with Oliver Reed, not really seen it properly.  Walk the Line I ain't seen at all.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I've seen bits and bobs of Gladiator on the telly a few times, lots of bits with Oliver Reed, not really seen it properly.  Walk the Line I ain't seen at all.

You are not missing much. Gladiator is a Spartacus-rip; it is entertaining I suppose - I love the score. Walk the Line reinforces my belief that music biopics always are ''tv movie-esque''. I do not know why they turn out that way as some of them have big budgets, Bohemian Rhapsody, etc., but they always have a tv move feel. I think our opinions align on the subject of music biopics - we have had this discussion before? I remember Kurt Russel hamming it up in an Elvis one?

Edited by DieselDaisy

I believe he has some anxiety problems. In interviews or when he is giving a speech he sounds drunk but he's actually quite nervous.

He has played in some excellent films... Two Lovers, Her, The Village, The Immigrant.

50 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I believe he has some anxiety problems. In interviews or when he is giving a speech he sounds drunk but he's actually quite nervous.

He has played in some excellent films... Two Lovers, Her, The Village, The Immigrant.

just because you're nervous doesn't mean you have anxiety problems. geeeeez