The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Billy Bryson discusses American drinking in one of his books. He said when an American neighbour invites you for a drink he literally means a drink; you sit down and you'll have one bottle of Budweiser, then he'll say, ''well Bill, this has been great, we should do this again'', and you depart haha.

It is about the most un-British thing I know. 

Do you really invited people to your house for a drink if your British? 

Firstly you already in the pub. You might stagger back to start burning some ready meals but the formality sounds a bit one of those. 

13 hours ago, Sosso said:

Sounds great! I would also recommend Shepherd's Pie. 

Ive never had the pleasure of an authentic one with lamb. Ive enjoyed it with beef. When people make it with beef they also tend to leave out the cumin. So it must be very different, and way better, at an English pub. My friend makes it with sweet potato, beef and the paprika I grew, its nice too.

Love how the potato is both creamy and crispy!

We made cottage pie at school in 4th year home economics. Feminism. I remember because my friend dropped his on the way home. That’s why you have a Head bag. Superior stitching to a coop plastic bag that splits outside the cornershop and your cottage pie goes kesplat by the bus stop. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I turn 21 in two weeks. Any must-haves for my liquor cabinet?

I dont really go for much liquor, but it might be fun to buy a vintage red wine and save it for your 22nd birthday?

"Vintage" being any bottle that isn't brand new wine, will say like "Cabernet Franc 2016" or whatever. A new bottle may not be produced to be shelf stable. Anyways, just a thought.

1 hour ago, wasted said:

We made cottage pie at school in 4th year home economics. Feminism. I remember because my friend dropped his on the way home. That’s why you have a Head bag. Superior stitching to a coop plastic bag that splits outside the cornershop and your cottage pie goes kesplat by the bus stop. 

Shit, I remember Head bags, those used to be the thing back in the day.  After that it was the blue Umbro ones that everyone seemed to have:

umbro-speciali-italia-backpack-p36457-22

That or the record bags with Slammin' Viynl and Spliffy and Eclipse on em.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

There's a distinct trampiness about you sometimes, anyone ever tell you that? :lol:  The missus and the baby are the making of you otherwise a couple of wrong turns in your life and you woulda been quite happy with a bottle of white lightning and a dry doorway somewhere :lol: 

Is a man not allowed to have dreams anymore 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Shit, I remember Head bags, those used to be the thing back in the day.  After that it was the blue Umbro ones that everyone seemed to have:

Spliffy, Naff Co 54, Joe Bloggs and a pair of kickers all soundtracks by this. Fucking quality.

https://youtu.be/AVet-HD_BrI

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

They were actually a tennis brand. Head were a brand tennis racket. But suddenly everyone had one. I didn’t I had this shit square blue Nike bag. But it secured my cottage pie. I also remember making a shirt in home ec. That was a disaster. 

No curtains, no turn ups, bound for the grave. 

1 hour ago, soon said:

Black Pilsner??? Never heard of that. Is it good? Sounds weird to me.

Also down with the German Purity Law!!

Yeah I checked my phone before I bought it. Basically though they such a thing as stout - lager type. They also a stout pilsner type. I also got 9 cans on Guldenbrau 7%. Now I drinking a bottle of wine after a chinese lamb hot pot. I was eating cheese slices for breakfast with beans on toast. I’m ready of CD II. We going global sell out. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

German purity law?  They check to see if the beers Grandpa was a Jew?

Look at the can with squinted eyes. 

I have a feeling none of these can exist in Germany. Wurenbacher has a deal with China but no one heard of it in Germany. 

Carlsberg is a solid brand name. But I’m black market ecomony. Who knows maybe I’ll die. Before going on a cruise to Japan. Poppy Bush, Obama Fisa violations, Wenger a French souffle chef. Anything could happen in the life n times of wasted. 

On 07/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, spunko12345 said:

They open at 8am aswell. I'd quite like to work night shifts, clock  off and stop off for a few pints on my way home first thing in the morning just as everyones doing their busy commute or the school run. It could be a Tuesday morning but it would be my Friday night. I'd get a few more beers from the shop around 10 am to drink at home watching the daytime soaps, order a takeaway at lunchtime and pass out. It would be lovely way to disengage with the world.

Yeah I could see that. Most night shift workers are like that. They always used to talk about it. Triple time and not talking to anyone in real life. They obvious benefits to that. Everyone like oh my job so bad. Sure yo wife and kids look like a nightmare. The best time you have is eye fucking your boss in the toilets as you take a piss at lunch. I know you like corporate ass. 

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Yeah I checked my phone before I bought it. Basically though they such a thing as stout - lager type. They also a stout pilsner type. I also got 9 cans on Guldenbrau 7%. Now I drinking a bottle of wine after a chinese lamb hot pot. I was eating cheese slices for breakfast with beans on toast. I’m ready of CD II. We going global sell out. 

Pilsners arent my favorite to begin with. I enjoy a handful of them and others turn me off. Im not a fan of black lager much either. So I guess its just not for me. Neat to know about though.

Its strange seeing the purity law on a pils. Because pilsners unique flavour originally came from a blend of herbs that grow wild in a town called Pils (or some version of namesake). The purity law banned those herbs.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

German purity law?  They check to see if the beers Grandpa was a Jew?

:lol: Its kinda closer to that type of crazy then one might think! Until that time beers were much more diverse and included all sorts of food stuffs and medicinal herbs. The modern caricature of a witch is based on the beer makers of those olden days. The State and the Church came together to outlaw the medicinal use of beer as 'witchcraft.' Interestingly they chose hops as the only acceptable herb, because hops raise estrogen levels in men and make people drowsy. This production of sleepy girlie men would be the perfect herb for the times. The Purity Law, while ostensibly about witchcraft, came to be as Capitalism was coming to the fore and industrialization was the dream it held. Standardization and patriarchy was the order of the day. During the same era that female "witches" beer was outlawed, so was female midwifery in favour of male MDs. It was also about standardizing food production. Until then farmers would brew beers with seasonal ingredients as a way to preserve the harvest and then feed their farm hands with the beer. Gourds, spices, cucumbers, mushrooms, even carrots appear on old farm house saison recipes. What ever they had and in whatever quantities which is fine for small scale agriculture. But that was not what the capitalist adventure had in mind.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Pilsners arent my favorite to begin with. I enjoy a handful of them and others turn me off. Im not a fan of black lager much either. So I guess its just not for me. Neat to know about though.

Its strange seeing the purity law on a pils. Because pilsners unique flavour originally came from a blend of herbs that grow wild in a town called Pils (or some version of namesake). The purity law banned those herbs.

:lol: Its kinda closer to that type of crazy then one might think! Until that time beers were much more diverse and included all sorts of food stuffs and medicinal herbs. The modern caricature of a witch is based on the beer makers of those olden days. The State and the Church came together to outlaw the medicinal use of beer as 'witchcraft.' Interestingly they chose hops as the only acceptable herb, because hops raise estrogen levels in men and make people drowsy. This production of sleepy girlie men would be the perfect herb for the times. The Purity Law, while ostensibly about witchcraft, came to be as Capitalism was coming to the fore and industrialization was the dream it held. Standardization and patriarchy was the order of the day. During the same era that female "witches" beer was outlawed, so was female midwifery in favour of male MDs. It was also about standardizing food production. Until then farmers would brew beers with seasonal ingredients as a way to preserve the harvest and then feed their farm hands with the beer. Gourds, spices, cucumbers, mushrooms, even carrots appear on old farm house saison recipes. What ever they had and in whatever quantities which is fine for small scale agriculture. But that was not what the capitalist adventure had in mind.

Seems like a German thing.

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

Seems like a German thing.

Very German. But it really caught on around the world. Gruits - beer using flavour agents other then hops - are somewhat popular now, but its still niche.

Also, Ive never had Chinese lamb hot pot. And I dont know what it would be like. And I've never craved something so much.

1 minute ago, soon said:

Very German. But it really caught on around the world. Gruits - beer using flavour agents other then hops - are somewhat popular now, but its still niche.

Also, Ive never had Chinese lamb hot pot. And I dont know what it would be like. And I've never craved something so much.

I only did it because they sold out of beef in Lianhua. I have my own hot pot so I can do whatever like fish balls or tofu. I think Mongolian hot pots are lamb? There’s something about raw chilis and sesame sauce and lamb. 

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

I only did it because they sold out of beef in Lianhua. I have my own hot pot so I can do whatever like fish balls or tofu. I think Mongolian hot pots are lamb? There’s something about raw chilis and sesame sauce and lamb. 

Oh, thanks for filling me in. Lamb and sesame inst a familiar profile but I wanna try it now. Acutally sesame and chili is unfamiliar too. Gonna check this out more. Lamb keeps coming up in conversations on here, I'll have to get some and try out a few of these dishes.

Just now, soon said:

Oh, thanks for filling me in. Lamb and sesame inst a familiar profile but I wanna try it now. Acutally sesame and chili is unfamiliar too. Gonna check this out more. Lamb keeps coming up in conversations on here, I'll have to get some and try out a few of these dishes.

It’s sliced lamb. Sesame, vinegar, chives, garlic, soy are basic hot pot. XO sauce is something I’m not sure of. I just go sesame sauce/oil and raw chilis. Vinegar. I’ve got some crazy hot HK chili sauce for the vinegar. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wasted said:

It’s sliced lamb. Sesame, vinegar, chives, garlic, soy are basic hot pot. XO sauce is something I’m not sure of. I just go sesame sauce/oil and raw chilis. Vinegar. I’ve got some crazy hot HK chili sauce for the vinegar. 

Thanks for recipe, man!

I dont have hot pot. Would you suggest very hot cast iron or very hot non-stick pan?

You use the chilli sauce as the acid/vinegar or you add the hot sauce to the vinegar? I have white, brown rice, ombushi, apple cider, balsamic. For vinegar based hot sauce I have sriracha, jalapenos sauce, scotch bonnet sauce and pickled hungarian peppers.

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks for recipe, man!

I dont have hot pot. Would you suggest very hot cast iron or very hot non-stick pan?

You use the chilli sauce as the acid/vinegar or you add the hot sauce to the vinegar? I have white, brown rice, ombushi, apple cider, balsamic. For vinegar based hot sauce I have sriracha, jalapenos sauce, scotch bonnet sauce and pickled hungarian peppers.

I’m an animal I put chili sauce in vinegar. It’s actualy the legit way. Then add sesame. Or seperate. They mo rules here they a hot pot of stock and you throw whatever you have into it. Then you dip the meat or veg, noodles, tofu into the sauce. But red chilis chopped. But I was also throwing around Lee Kum Kee chili garlic sauce. 

I have like a hot pot base with pot. Like a hot plate on the table but really any boiling pot of water. Think Mongolia, whatever works.