The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

5 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

You haven't had much in the way of German beers then huh?

I'm certain he has... Im pretty sure that he's German. And he is a man of refined tastes. I like a good smoked Marzen or Kellerbier, personally - the heavier German beers. But Becks has a really nice and refreshing way about it that is also perfect with a lot of foods. Ill grab some in the summer. Also that already mentioned wheat beer that I wont try and spell, lol, with a lemon wedge.

As for me today, I just bought some 'buck a beers' and saw some nice butts while I was at it!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Every society, no matter how brilliant at brewery, seems to have crappy mass produced lagers that they sell to the rest of the world, and which give you the shits. 

Except for Belgium. I can't think of a mass-exported Belgian beer that's crap. I mean... Duvel, Palm, Leffe, Hoegaarden... some are better than others, but not a single one is crap.. Maybe Stella? But even that will basically do.

Edit: I remembered Jupiler. Your theory stands. 

Edited by username

53 minutes ago, username said:

Except for Belgium. I can't think of a mass-exported Belgian beer that's crap. I mean... Duvel, Palm, Leffe, Hoegaarden... some are better than others, but not a single one is crap.. Maybe Stella? But even that will basically do.

''Wife beater'' as we call it here. 

I dunno how yous all clock so much difference in beers.  I can tell a bit but not much.  The crap ones to me are like what Dies' just mentioned Carlsberg, Fosters...Budweiser is another.  The only way I can describe their crap-ness is that they taste sort of, well, watery.  Insubstantial.  Thats my two categories, watery and the good stuff.  The watery stuff tends to feel less alcoholey

Edited by Len Cnut

4 hours ago, username said:

I thought Leffe was Turkish?

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Is Stella crap then?  I mean on the beer scale of things?  Buggered if I know, it's my go to as well.

I'd say it's an average pilsener. Personal opinion. Definitely better than Jupiler or Heineken for that matter. The latter being the most overrated pilsener of all time. 

8 hours ago, username said:

The latter being the most overrated pilsener of all time. 

I don't know if it's overrated because I have never heard anyone talk about how great it is.

It's not my favourite either, but I don't consider it as crap as some do. It's average... but it happens to be a very average well known beer.

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So whats good then?  Thats readily available in the shops?  Grolsch I quite like.  Grolsch was my go to for ages but it changed to Stella as a matter of convenience cuz Stella is pretty much everywhere.

Ditch all of the foreign muck and switch to English real ales: Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, Ruddles, Doom, London Pride and Marston's are the most famous but try the smaller breweries also. Just try them and find one you like. You can get quite a few of the more famous real ales in bottles. Admittedly Ruddles is a bit ''old geezerish'' as they sell it for £1.80 per pint in the 'Spoons up north, so the old men ''gaan tu 'Spoons for the day'' and spend their pensions. 

Marston's is nice. I drink that at the cricket. It is a pleasant summer pint, light and golden - a bit too light for the winter perhaps? Hobgoblin is nice but strong. 

Try the English stouts also.