The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

When I am desiring a cold lager I tend to head to Italy, Moretti and Peroni. Tsingtao is decent also - endorsed by Wasted. You can usually only find these in bottles behind the bar, although occasionally you do see them on tap and when you do see them on tap they come at £5 per pint. It is however better than slugging four pints of Joe Mangel's urine.

22 hours ago, soon said:

I'm certain he has... Im pretty sure that he's German. And he is a man of refined tastes. I like a good smoked Marzen or Kellerbier, personally - the heavier German beers. But Becks has a really nice and refreshing way about it that is also perfect with a lot of foods. Ill grab some in the summer. Also that already mentioned wheat beer that I wont try and spell, lol, with a lemon wedge.

As for me today, I just bought some 'buck a beers' and saw some nice butts while I was at it!

Yes, I'm German and it's certainly not true that we have the best beer in the world. :lol: It's actually just another example of our arrogant behaviour towards the other countries.

10 hours ago, username said:

Definitely from the Leffe abbey in Dinant, Belgium. :) 

A quick search revealed I was thinking of Efes which is the one from Turkey. 

50 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

When I am desiring a cold lager I tend to head to Italy, Moretti and Peroni. Tsingtao is decent also - endorsed by Wasted. You can usually only find these in bottles behind the bar, although occasionally you do see them on tap and when you do see them on tap they come at £5 per pint. It is however better than slugging four pints of Joe Mangel's urine.

Tsingtao is my usual. I've got four in the fridge now actually.

32 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Yes, I'm German and it's certainly not true that we have the best beer in the world. :lol: It's actually just another example of our arrogant behaviour towards the other countries.

Your beer is second only to Canada and Belgium :lol: Actually a lot of our brewing heritage started with peoples Germans roots.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Your beer is second only to Canada and Belgium :lol: Actually a lot of our brewing heritage started with peoples Germans roots.

I like the beer from England (Newcastle Brown Ale), Ireland (Guinness), Czechoslovakia (Budweiser) and China (Tsingtao). 

What's so special about beer from Canada? 

Edited by Sosso

9 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I like the beer from England (Newcastle Brown Ale), Ireland (Guinness), Czechoslovakia (Budweiser) and China (Tsingtao). 

What's so special about beer from Canada? 

Freshness and diversity. We have a nice balance of tradition and innovation. We have so many craft breweries and brew pubs which are great for freshness, attention to detail and top quality ingredients that are often local. Mix that with our multiculturalism. Beer is one of those thing that people 'bring' with them. For example, at one Craft brewery where I live the head brewers from Iran. So in season her mother back in Iran gathers saffron by hand and sends it here. Her daughter brews an Iranian style beer, infused with a hint of saffron. Same brewer also makes a Scottish Wee Heavy that doesnt get its annual release until the cranky ol Scottsman in residence gives it the thumbs up to the batch. Both are among the best brews I've tasted. There are at least 20 craft breweries nearby. All of them have mainstay brews that are way better then anything else Ive tried and then they also have new brews every few weeks or months. Like smoked peat moss Irish ale, spruce tip brown ale, IPA with a hop profile similar to bubble gum - classics pushed forward I guess. And all the heritage stuff like Kellerbier, Ur Bock, Marzen for our Octoberfests.

We also have amazing spring water here that a handful of craft brewers use. And during US prohibition Canadians really stepped up to the plate to fill the void. Canadian Cream Ale came to fame at the time, plus some US brewers moved to Canada. We basically cut the beast USA at its knees and have fought hard to maintian the dominant brewing position ever since, lol. And the NA craft beer boom has really pushed things into overdrive.

• Thanks 1

I still can't get over the fact Newcastle Brown is sold abroad, when I was a lad Newcastle Brown was considered scatty as fuck.  I don't think Newcastle Brown would work abroad.  I mean imagine a golden sandy beach somewhere on the American west coast...and there's someone drinking Newkie Brown as the ocean fuckin' laps at their feet, its just incongruous.  Newcastle Brown has a very specific context, Newcastle Brown has to be drunk in your teenage years sitting on someones front garden wall after a night out, goin' twos on a small portion of chips with your 'girlfriend' who hasn't let you feel her tits yet, its not a Beach Boys kind of tipple.  

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I still can't get over the fact Newcastle Brown is sold abroad, when I was a lad Newcastle Brown was considered scatty as fuck.  I don't think Newcastle Brown would work abroad.  I mean imagine a golden sandy beach somewhere on the American west coast...and there's someone drinking Newkie Brown as the ocean fuckin' laps at their feet, its just incongruous.  Newcastle Brown has a very specific context, Newcastle Brown has to be drunk in your teenage years sitting on someones front garden wall after a night out, goin' twos on a small portion of chips with your 'girlfriend' who hasn't let you feel her tits yet, its not a Beach Boys kind of tipple.  

Bit flat cap wearing old man-ish, especially drinking it from a traditional Geordie schooner,

Geordie_Schooner1.jpg

PS 

I have to return to this because Broon Ale is really not an underage drinking drink. It is drank by chaps with cirrhosis face, flat caps, bunch of betting slips in their pocket. Chaps who say things like, ''yee kiddo''.

Fat middle-aged follicly challenged Toon Army fans later drink it because of the Toon connection.

Underage kids? Nope. What the hell were you drinking Broon Ale for when you were 15 and trying to cop a feel? Are you going to impress her with your knowledge of whippets?

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, Sosso said:

It's actually just another example of our arrogant behaviour towards the other countries.

I don’t find Germans to be arrogant in general. The only thing I dislike is that they come here and expect everyone to speak German. And this happens to me all the time, living near the German border in an area with a lot of German tourists. When I go to Germany I don’t expect them to speak my language either. But besides that, I like the Germans.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Because the rest of the world is California? Newcastle Brown works perfectly here in Norway.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are you going to impress her with your knowledge of whippets?

I know that this beer is not popular among young people, but I like to drink it anyway. 

Edited by Sosso

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bit flat cap wearing old man-ish, especially drinking it from a traditional Geordie schooner,

Geordie_Schooner1.jpg

PS 

I have to return to this because Broon Ale is really not an underage drinking drink. It is drank by chaps with cirrhosis face, flat caps, bunch of betting slips in their pocket. Chaps who say things like, ''yee kiddo''.

Fat middle-aged follicly challenged Toon Army fans later drink it because of the Toon connection.

Underage kids? Nope. What the hell were you drinking Broon Ale for when you were 15 and trying to cop a feel? Are you going to impress her with your knowledge of whippets?

Cuz it was the dirty punk thing.  I mean its clearly an old gits drink but we weren't about to be drinking fuckin' Hooch were we? 

16 hours ago, soon said:

Freshness and diversity. We have a nice balance of tradition and innovation. We have so many craft breweries and brew pubs which are great for freshness, attention to detail and top quality ingredients that are often local. Mix that with our multiculturalism. Beer is one of those thing that people 'bring' with them. For example, at one Craft brewery where I live the head brewers from Iran. So in season her mother back in Iran gathers saffron by hand and sends it here. Her daughter brews an Iranian style beer, infused with a hint of saffron. Same brewer also makes a Scottish Wee Heavy that doesnt get its annual release until the cranky ol Scottsman in residence gives it the thumbs up to the batch. Both are among the best brews I've tasted. There are at least 20 craft breweries nearby. All of them have mainstay brews that are way better then anything else Ive tried and then they also have new brews every few weeks or months. Like smoked peat moss Irish ale, spruce tip brown ale, IPA with a hop profile similar to bubble gum - classics pushed forward I guess. And all the heritage stuff like Kellerbier, Ur Bock, Marzen for our Octoberfests.

We also have amazing spring water here that a handful of craft brewers use. And during US prohibition Canadians really stepped up to the plate to fill the void. Canadian Cream Ale came to fame at the time, plus some US brewers moved to Canada. We basically cut the beast USA at its knees and have fought hard to maintian the dominant brewing position ever since, lol. And the NA craft beer boom has really pushed things into overdrive.

Are there any native American breweries?

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I would rather drink a Heineken than American beer

I'd say Dutch Heineken is better than most if not all large-scale American pilseners. Export Heineken seemed a little watered down compared to regular Heineken, the few times I tasted it. 

Based on my experience with American beer, their large pilsener brands are shit. Bud being the most famous brand of watered down piss. However, I've had a lot of American craft beers that were absolutely fantastic. The micro-breweries are doing amazing stuff.