The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

KEITH RICHARDS SAYS HE’S CUT BACK ON DRINKING: ‘IT WAS TIME TO QUIT’

For all the chatter in recent years about whether or not rock is dead, we may now have definitive proof of its impending demise: Keith Richards said in a new interview that he doesn't drink much these days.

“It’s been about a year now,” he told Rolling Stone. “I pulled the plug on it. I got fed up with it.”

The Rolling Stones guitarist added that he still occasionally consumes a glass of wine or beer, but felt that “it was time to quit. Just like all the other stuff. ... I don’t notice any difference really – except for I don’t drink. I wasn’t feeling. I’ve done it. I didn’t want that anymore.”

Bandmate Ron Wood, who has been sober since 2010 and offered "full support" to his friend, gave his thoughts on Richards' decision. “It just wasn’t working anymore, you know,” he said. “I think the Keith that we used to know and love had this cutoff point where if he had one more, he’d go over the top and he’d be nasty. The cutoff point became shorter and shorter, and he realized that.”

Wood said the decision to not drink as much has made Richards “a pleasure to work with. Much more mellow. He’s open to more ideas, whereas before I’d kind of grit my teeth and go, ‘He’s gonna give me some shit for saying this.’ Now he’ll say, ‘That’s cool, man.’ ”

Richards tried out this new approach to life on the Rolling Stones' No Filter tour of Europe this past summer, noting that it was "interesting to play sober.”

Wood said he noticed that their well-established dynamic has since improved onstage. “We’re weaving [guitar parts] a lot more conscientiously now," he said. "We’re much more aware of the gaps and the spaces between. We’re in our seventies, but we’re still rocking like we’re 40-year-olds, you know?”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/keith-richards-drinking/

Edited by soon

18 minutes ago, soon said:

KEITH RICHARDS SAYS HE’S CUT BACK ON DRINKING: ‘IT WAS TIME TO QUIT’

For all the chatter in recent years about whether or not rock is dead, we may now have definitive proof of its impending demise: Keith Richards said in a new interview that he doesn't drink much these days.

“It’s been about a year now,” he told Rolling Stone. “I pulled the plug on it. I got fed up with it.”

The Rolling Stones guitarist added that he still occasionally consumes a glass of wine or beer, but felt that “it was time to quit. Just like all the other stuff. ... I don’t notice any difference really – except for I don’t drink. I wasn’t feeling. I’ve done it. I didn’t want that anymore.”

Bandmate Ron Wood, who has been sober since 2010 and offered "full support" to his friend, gave his thoughts on Richards' decision. “It just wasn’t working anymore, you know,” he said. “I think the Keith that we used to know and love had this cutoff point where if he had one more, he’d go over the top and he’d be nasty. The cutoff point became shorter and shorter, and he realized that.”

Wood said the decision to not drink as much has made Richards “a pleasure to work with. Much more mellow. He’s open to more ideas, whereas before I’d kind of grit my teeth and go, ‘He’s gonna give me some shit for saying this.’ Now he’ll say, ‘That’s cool, man.’ ”

Richards tried out this new approach to life on the Rolling Stones' No Filter tour of Europe this past summer, noting that it was "interesting to play sober.”

Wood said he noticed that their well-established dynamic has since improved onstage. “We’re weaving [guitar parts] a lot more conscientiously now," he said. "We’re much more aware of the gaps and the spaces between. We’re in our seventies, but we’re still rocking like we’re 40-year-olds, you know?”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/keith-richards-drinking/

When you're small and wiry and judicious with your intake as Keith has generally claimed to have been, at least compared to the waster archetype surrounding him, you can go pretty far on it.  People make a lot of the indestructable Keith but in reality there's any number of people well into their 60s and even 70s who drink like fishes.  Still ain't quit, the old bastard.  Hey, more power to him.  The trick with drink and drugs is just being measured with it, live with it, don't live for it, if you'll allow me to sound like one of those insipid facebook quotes of doubtful veracity for a moment. 

Edited by Len Cnut

14 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Normally wouldn't touch it it's a crap beer as beer goes but it's cheap and i'm skint spent £300 on the piss last week 

I think of Bud as a luxury product.

I drink Suntory beer which about 2.40 for 12. 

I’m trying to decide whether to do that or get a bottle of blended whisky for 4 quid. 

Maybe both. 

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Stop drinking gin or I will kill you.  Brandy, Whiskey, these are mens drink, gin is widowed old bags.

I have the soul of a widowed old bag. I see it like I’m in a speakeasy in the 40s. I love gin and prostitutes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

@wasted How does an average day in your life look like? You wake up, have a couple of drinks to stop the shaking, go to work, come home and drink till you pass out? That's the image I have of you but I might be completely off here. I'm sincerely curious.

I normally do all my work before lunch. After that let’s say poetic off license is the word. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Ive been strictly drinking wine lately and haven't had any hangovers at all.

Just had a beer and glass of wine. Hangover over. 

But you drink the whole bottle? I down it like a beer. 

That’s why light beer is better for me.it’s like a placebo. 

But if I fill a pint glass full of gin and add a bit of tonic. That kind of slows me down. But yeah ouch. Felt like gin knives cutting into my sides. 

Do I get a sixer for tonight or do I pretend I won’t want a beer at 4pm. 

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

Last night I had one bottle. Usually I mix it with something else, but I'm trying to cut back.

I guess that’s my problem I drink 4-5 beers then a bottle of wine. To be honest the beers do nothing. But I just down wine up I get that feeling then I feel alright. But might then drink another bottle just to keep it going. Then the ultimate mistake a glass of neat gin. I need to get back into videogames. 

43 minutes ago, wasted said:

I guess that’s my problem I drink 4-5 beers then a bottle of wine. To be honest the beers do nothing. But I just down wine up I get that feeling then I feel alright. But might then drink another bottle just to keep it going. Then the ultimate mistake a glass of neat gin. I need to get back into videogames. 

I do the opposite, I start with wine and then depending on how I feel, I switch to beer or something stronger. But anyway, I have quit drinking.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I do the opposite, I start with wine and then depending on how I feel, I switch to beer or something stronger. But anyway, I have quit drinking.

I just need to cut down to one can a day. That first ice cold beer is always awesome. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Captain Morgan is not that good, actually. I prefer Havana Club. 

Thats the first spirit I ever tried (well, first I ever got proper mullered on anyway), Havana Club, blagged it out of my mates old mans drinks cabinet. 

Edited by Len Cnut