The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

2 hours ago, arnold layne said:

I REFUSE to support businesses open on Christmas Day, but I really needed mixer. I ran out of beer!

So I was trying to drop some quarters into a random vending machine I found but it didn't take any money. 

I have been drinking Wild Turkey straight. Awful. 

I’ve always wanted to try Wild Turkey.  As it is I’m stuck with a bottle of Grouse today.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:44 PM, Len Cnut said:

I still can't get over the fact Newcastle Brown is sold abroad, when I was a lad Newcastle Brown was considered scatty as fuck.  I don't think Newcastle Brown would work abroad.  I mean imagine a golden sandy beach somewhere on the American west coast...and there's someone drinking Newkie Brown as the ocean fuckin' laps at their feet, its just incongruous.  Newcastle Brown has a very specific context, Newcastle Brown has to be drunk in your teenage years sitting on someones front garden wall after a night out, goin' twos on a small portion of chips with your 'girlfriend' who hasn't let you feel her tits yet, its not a Beach Boys kind of tipple.  

This US billboard always makes me laugh. :lol:

20110906-085437.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

My favorite whiskey is Canadian Club. I was just given a bottle of 41 Year for Christmas and I'm beside myself with joy. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

There it is:
if34i0.jpg
:)

I'm not very high on Canadian whisky, but I really do envy you for that one!

It has a very good rating on whiskybase too. 95 is extremely high, but it's just over 3 reviews. Still, can't possibly be bad. Glad they kept the abv above 43%. 

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/120780/canadian-club-chronicles-41 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I’ve always wanted to try Wild Turkey.  As it is I’m stuck with a bottle of Grouse today.

It's a very nice bourbon imo. Particularly their 101 proof. That extra bit of alcohol packs a nice punch. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, username said:

I'm not very high on Canadian whisky, but for that I really do envy you for that one!

It has a very good rating on whiskybase too. 95 is extremely high, but it's just over 3 reviews. Still, can't possibly be bad. Glad they kept the abv above 43%. 

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/120780/canadian-club-chronicles-41 

I'm a xhearp date, lol. I'll drink 6, 9 and 12 Year on the rocks. Then I like to drink 20 Year neat. I love 20 Year, so I really can't imagine how good this 41 is going to be! 

Just now, RussTCB said:

I'm a xhearp date, lol. I'll drink 6, 9 and 12 Year on the rocks. Then I like to drink 20 Year neat. I love 20 Year, so I really can't imagine how good this 41 is going to be! 

It's tricky to compare! A 6, 9 or even 12 year old whisky is often young, a little harsh and with a lot of punch. From roughly 8 to 12 years they start to even out more in flavour and get more balanced. I think that 15-25 year old whiskies are usually very well-rounded and have a lot more depth than their younger counterparts. When you go over 20 and definitely over 25 it becomes much more tricky because certain flavors can get way too prominent. The spirit can get extremely woody or for example a sherry influence can take over. Smoky and peaty flavors tend to weaken as well and because the alcohol evaporates it loses some oomph too. But when it's done right, it's amazingly deep. Great older whiskies are a tribute to the craftmanship of the master blender, selecting the right casks and letting them do their thing until the time is right for them to be bottled. I'd definitely drink this one neat withough any ice or water. Take your time with it as well. An oldie like that has spent over 40 years in a cask, so it might need a good 15 or even 30 minutes to get some air and open up in your glass. Kind of like how you'd decanter a good wine. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, username said:

It's tricky to compare! A 6, 9 or even 12 year old whisky is often young, a little harsh and with a lot of punch. From roughly 8 to 12 years they start to even out more in flavour and get more balanced. I think that 15-25 year old whiskies are usually very well-rounded and have a lot more depth than their younger counterparts. When you go over 20 and definitely over 25 it becomes much more tricky because certain flavors can get way too prominent. The spirit can get extremely woody or for example a sherry influence can take over. Smoky and peaty flavors tend to weaken as well and because the alcohol evaporates it loses some oomph too. But when it's done right, it's amazingly deep. Great older whiskies are a tribute to the craftmanship of the master blender, selecting the right casks and letting them do their thing until the time is right for them to be bottled. I'd definitely drink this one neat withough any ice or water. Take your time with it as well. An oldie like that has spent over 40 years in a cask, so it might need a good 15 or even 30 minutes to get some air and open up in your glass. Kind of like how you'd decanter a good wine. :) 

I greatly appreciate the tips! I wasn't going to go anywhere near it with water or ice, but I didn't even think about letting it breathe in the glass. We're heading to a family Christmas function in a few minutes and I plan to have a glass with my wife's uncle. I'll make sure we let it sit in the glass for a bit before sipping. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

I greatly appreciate the tips! I wasn't going to go anywhere near it with water or ice, but I didn't even think about letting it breathe in the glass. We're heading to a family Christmas function in a few minutes and I plan to have a glass with my wife's uncle. I'll make sure we let it sit in the glass for a bit before sipping. 

Cool! I'd love to hear how you like it. I love smelling it for a while and just see how the nose developes. ^_^ It usually starts giving you more and more flavours before you ever had a sip. 

• Like 1

Speaking of barrel aged Whiskey, Innis and Gunns is my favourite Scottish beer. Its aged in Bourbon Barrels. The barrels impart toffee, vanilla and oaky tones.

But lately the vanilla is way more pronounced. I swear they are adding vanilla flavour and fucking it all up. Vanilla beer is on trend and I think they gave in to that, maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Speaking of barrel aged Whiskey, Innis and Gunns is my favourite Scottish beer. Its aged in Bourbon Barrels. The barrels impart toffee, vanilla and oaky tones.

But lately the vanilla is way more pronounced. I swear they are adding vanilla flavour and fucking it all up. Vanilla beer is on trend and I think they gave in to that, maybe.

It might depend on how long they've had bourbon in them. Bourbon law states that all bourbon must be matured on new oak barrels. So they can never use the same barrel twice. Some bourbons are bottled after just 1 or 2 years, others after 6 or 8. A few are matured longer. Vanilla is one of the key flavours that new oak wood gives off. The shorter it's had spirit in it, the less deep the spirit has penetrated the wood and interacted with it. So barrels that have been used for only a short time can definitely give off more vanilla than barrels that have been used for a longer period of time. 

Another thing is whether it's European or American oak. I always tend to get them mixed up, but if I'm not mistaken European oak is less dense and reacts with the liquid more quickly. But I always mix up which has the more prominent vanilla tones. I think it's American oak. Anyway, these can all factor into how one barrel aged beer might taste completely different despite both being aged in an ex-bourbon barrel. 

Aside from all that - I love barrel aged beers. My recent favourite is the Estonian Pohjala brewery. They're doing amazing stuff. Their recent cognac barrel was fantastic. But the Dutch brewery De Molen is one of the best as well. Their Hell & Verdoemenis (translation: Hell and damnnation) is already a stellar imperial stout, but the barrel-aged versions are just SO ridiculously good. Especially the ones aged on ex-sherry-ex-whisky barrels. 

• GNFNR 1

On 25/12/2018 at 8:33 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

Hate the way you septic tanks refer to it as a fifth mind you you call petrol gas... totally different element look at the periodic table 

There's not such things as either petrol or gas in the periodic table. :lol: 

57 minutes ago, username said:

It might depend on how long they've had bourbon in them. Bourbon law states that all bourbon must be matured on new oak barrels. So they can never use the same barrel twice. Some bourbons are bottled after just 1 or 2 years, others after 6 or 8. A few are matured longer. Vanilla is one of the key flavours that new oak wood gives off. The shorter it's had spirit in it, the less deep the spirit has penetrated the wood and interacted with it. So barrels that have been used for only a short time can definitely give off more vanilla than barrels that have been used for a longer period of time. 

Another thing is whether it's European or American oak. I always tend to get them mixed up, but if I'm not mistaken European oak is less dense and reacts with the liquid more quickly. But I always mix up which has the more prominent vanilla tones. I think it's American oak. Anyway, these can all factor into how one barrel aged beer might taste completely different despite both being aged in an ex-bourbon barrel. 

Aside from all that - I love barrel aged beers. My recent favourite is the Estonian Pohjala brewery. They're doing amazing stuff. Their recent cognac barrel was fantastic. But the Dutch brewery De Molen is one of the best as well. Their Hell & Verdoemenis (translation: Hell and damnnation) is already a stellar imperial stout, but the barrel-aged versions are just SO ridiculously good. Especially the ones aged on ex-sherry-ex-whisky barrels. 

Oh, I see. Thanks for this, man! I had no idea about the law and hadn't taken into account the variance in aging. Its embarrassing for me to admit, but I just assumed that the vanilla came from the residual bourbon rather than the oak. Now I get how that works with the aging periods. Thats fascinating.

And the type of oak too. Amazing how different the outcome can be. Im into that. Are there many types of woods used?

Even though this batch of Innis and Gunn isnt suiting me, Its cool that there are variations based on those types of factors. 

Im gonna try to track down those beers. Theres something deeply satisfying about the idea of wood and time as a flavour agent. I havent had as many barrel aged beers, but Ive loved all the ones Ive tried. I like sours a lot. Rodenbach comes to mind. 

Edited by soon