The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

On 05/05/2019 at 2:35 PM, soon said:

I drank 12 pints last night. 12. I was up with the sun and feel fantastic. 

Thats probably the type of capability that one is better off not knowing they have.

Im good and fucked after 12 pints and I fancy myself an alright drinker.  I certainly wouldn't be up with the sun feeling fantastic.

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

You're a good man.

Hahaha! Thank you kindly. I do try :lol:

2 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Rehab is for quitters 

Yes it is my friend, yes it is. 

Also its for joiners if you think about it. 

The circle of life.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Im good and fucked after 12 pints and I fancy myself an alright drinker.  I certainly wouldn't be up with the sun feeling fantastic.

I have no idea how it happened! I honestly dont remember ever feeling better than the morning after that night out. Felt like going for a solo canoe. There was a pep to my step.

Weird thing though, the following day, yesterday, I had a sip of beer and instantly my mouth felt like Id drank liquid sugar and my body in general just said "no" to the beer. Like a delayed reaction maybe.

48 minutes ago, soon said:

I have no idea how it happened! I honestly dont remember ever feeling better than the morning after that night out. Felt like going for a solo canoe. There was a pep to my step.

You were most probably still pissed.

57 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

You were most probably still pissed.

Thats a very plausible explanation now that you mention it. But I swear I didnt feel drunk. I passed for normal around people. But yeah, maybe some different form of being drunk.

Such drunk-in-the-morning feeling is interesting, you feel quite sober but you are still impaired. It just doesn't feel that way. I suppose it demonstrates the power of expectations when it comes to the feeling of being drunk. Our behavior under the influence is heavily affected by how we think we should behave.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

He was drinking North American beer which is about the equivalent of our cans of Shandy Bass. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He was drinking North American beer which is about the equivalent of our cans of Shandy Bass. 

I will fight you.

... in a time machine from the 2000's when that burn made sense :P

Edited by soon

4 hours ago, soon said:

When I was 18 I usually took my driving lessons at 8 am on a saturday. On some days I would go out the night before and I would still be somewhat drunk by 8 am, but I must say that in those situations I always drove much better than when I hadn't gone out drinking the night before. I guess it has to do with the nerves... my driving instructor was a bit of a nightmare who would yell at me everytime I made a mistake, and I'm a terrible driver anyway, but you are a lot more relaxed and able to deal with the pressure when you are still half drunk.

Edited by EvanG

14 hours ago, EvanG said:

When I was 18 I usually took my driving lessons at 8 am on a saturday. On some days I would go out the night before and I would still be somewhat drunk by 8 am, but I must say that in those situations I always drove much better than when I hadn't gone out drinking the night before. I guess it has to do with the nerves... my driving instructor was a bit of a nightmare who would yell at me everytime I made a mistake, and I'm a terrible driver anyway, but you are a lot more relaxed and able to deal with the pressure when you are still half drunk.

You are professionally trained to be a drunk driver, lol.

I guess waking up buzzed is like being back to that 2-3 drink place, but different because you had more drinks since, then slept? I know dart players like to "steady the hand" with a shot or two before they play. Still not sure its what happened in my case, but its a fascinating thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I'm going through my search history on facebook and I'm astounded to find out who I look for when I'm drunk... it's kinda sad and creepy, but fortunately I still have the good sense not to contact anyone... so far.

I wonder how the Russian web bots algorithms would rank your "kinda sad and creepy" drunken FBing? I bet they've seen much worse :)

:lol: Ive never been on the thing but I can imagine the temptation to contact people is pretty strong. Well done! :headbang:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, soon said:

I wonder how the Russian web bots algorithms would rank your "kinda sad and creepy" drunken FBing? I bet they've seen much worse :)

:lol: Ive never been on the thing but I can imagine the temptation to contact people is pretty strong. Well done! :headbang:

I don't like facebook, I only use it to read bands' facebook pages.... well, and evidently to search for people I haven't talked to in twenty years and only think about when I'm wasted!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On May 27, 2019 at 7:54 AM, EvanG said:

My name is Evan and I'm an alcoholic.

Hi Evan.

I recently had this incredible beer. A "Botanical Lager." I thought it was just a crap shoot to try it out - seemed gimmicky. But the brewery is really good and I love what they do. Im not used to seeing lagers experimented with and with additional flavours (adjuncts). 

cVWM1oEl.jpg

JBfaaz5l.jpg

Just like it describes itself, theres a tartness and a thick currant flavour that just as soon as it coats the tongue is washed a way by a wave of juniper that has this very natural/outdoorsy vibe for a split second as it cleanses the palate. And then it has the most subtle tail of like Grape Sugar Dips candy. Its incredible. All the complexity of a sour, with this squarely summer time drinkability.

Also came across this non alcoholic beer at the bodega. Best Ive ever had. Tastes like any other East Coast IPA, even the mouth feel is the same. It says its citrus forward, but I'd celebrate it for its pine notes. Plus theres way less sugar then juice, pop, sports drink or vitamin water. And its not the early absorbed Fructose either. A really great beer - full stop.

swcW4Qll.jpg

c6bxC0Rl.jpg

Had it with lunch at the park. The gentlemen of leisure, drinking from their paper bags where pissed because I would attract the cops. Sorry men, for 20 minutes at lunch, I am an island. :) 

• Like 1

Okay, wow. I almost just punched out a drunk guy at the park!!!:wow:

9:30am and hes drunk as a skunk. Ive never met him, never seen him and he walks up and says that "God blasts (him) with so much wisdom into his brain. But at 58, (he's) an immature man and needs (me) to translate what God sends (him) for the internet." I mean what a good guess - Im a Christian and I love to blab on and on, on the internet :lol:

I used to work in ministry and this type of interaction would be routine, multiple times a day. He's all in my space, insisting on shaking hands every minute, flashes of violence in his eyes, etc. But I dont work in ministry anymore so dont bother me at the park!!! I even have 'my table' at the park that the youth gang or the old biddies who gamble there make sure to move along any outsiders from when I am approaching :) He is lucky they werent there!

So, i hear his sad story. He just turned 58 and basically, life didnt go as planned nor desired. He's Acadian and felt the weight of that ongoing history. Etc. Im now ready to say a prayer together and get on with my day. He wont 'let me' leave. Eventually he grabbed my phone and said I dont get it back until I upload "gods words from his mind." 

I lost my temper and told him I'd drop him if he didn't give me my phone back :facepalm:. At which point he fell to his knees - not only as apology, it was just his breaking point. He hugged my legs as he cried... well he cried on my crotch :lol: And rambled incoherently and just poured out his deep pain. :( 

There's a lot more to the story, but its long enough as is. So, he now has a file opened with an outpatient addictions support worker and is on the top of the waiting list for a detox bed. Plus some fried chicken and a pamphlet for accessing free counselling at soup kitchens.

Im really not sure he makes it to detox though :( I hope he gets arrested and formed today. And I hate saying that, but thats what I feel most optimistic about. :( 

On 5/7/2019 at 1:34 PM, soon said:

Weird thing though, the following day, yesterday, I had a sip of beer and instantly my mouth felt like Id drank liquid sugar and my body in general just said "no" to the beer. Like a delayed reaction maybe.

Morning after beer buzz...aka, you were still somewhat drunk.  Good chance if you were to take a breathalyzer, you would have failed.  And yep, your hangover is typically delayed until later that day or the day after.   The best part is that you don't really feel "drunk"...you just feel good, stress free and ready to go.  

7 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Morning after beer buzz...aka, you were still somewhat drunk.  Good chance if you were to take a breathalyzer, you would have failed.  And yep, your hangover is typically delayed until later that day or the day after.   The best part is that you don't really feel "drunk"...you just feel good, stress free and ready to go.  

So, I should always drink enough to be buzzed for two days! :lol:

• Haha 1

On 08/05/2019 at 1:18 PM, soon said:

You are professionally trained to be a drunk driver, lol.

I guess waking up buzzed is like being back to that 2-3 drink place, but different because you had more drinks since, then slept? I know dart players like to "steady the hand" with a shot or two before they play. Still not sure its what happened in my case, but its a fascinating thing.

I could beat anybody at pool after two or three pints. That's my fucking sweet spot right in that zone. Trick shots, jumping the ball over other balls the lot. My game goes down hill rapidly after any more though.