The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

On 03/02/2020 at 1:25 PM, soon said:

Back in the day many workers in the US and Canada would find themselves working and living in a Company Town. They were indentured workers whose housing was owned by the Company they worked for.  And all their needs were met by purchasing them at the Company Store. So you'd get your shit wage and then promptly hand it back over to the company. And this model lives on to some extent in vices. Booze is especially good to keep you to keep you preoccupied, pacified and drowsy - unable to organize. You get your wages, buy some booze and stay in your own little box until Monday morning.

So, I home-brew! :lol:

It was like that in valleys in Wales where the coal mines used to be. The people who owned the mines also owned the pub, the village shop etc. So people would go to work down the mines for 12 hours a day and have a few pints after work. Their wives would be looking after the kids and getting the groceries in the shop. It would all be put on their tab so at the end of the week when he collects his wages there's basically fuck all left.

Normally at the end of his days he'd have managed to buy a 3 bedroom terraced house in the tiny little town he was born in and have enough to afford a Co-Op funeral. Coffin chucked down a hole his mates had dug on the side of a bleak windswept hill. 

And believe it or not people up the valleys look at them as the good old days before Margaret Thatcher really fucked them over.

@Len Cnut get on a train mate we will go on a piss up around one of those places and have a look what they're like now. That's bound to cheer you up 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

It was like that in valleys in Wales where the coal mines used to be. The people who owned the mines also owned the pub, the village shop etc. So people would go to work down the mines for 12 hours a day and have a few pints after work. Their wives would be looking after the kids and getting the groceries in the shop. It would all be put on their tab so at the end of the week when he collects his wages there's basically fuck all left.

Normally at the end of his days he'd have managed to buy a 3 bedroom terraced house in the tiny little town he was born in and have enough to afford a Co-Op funeral. Coffin chucked down a hole his mates had dug on the side of a bleak windswept hill. 

And believe it or not people up the valleys look at them as the good old days before Margaret Thatcher really fucked them over.

@Len Cnut get on a train mate we will go on a piss up around one of those places and have a look what they're like now. That's bound to cheer you up 😄

Look on the brightside Len, at least you ain't a taffy coal miner from the 1940s, great :lol:

• Haha 1

On February 5, 2020 at 2:52 AM, spunko12345 said:

Man, it really is crazy to think that they look back at that being the 'good old days' by comparison to Thatcherism! Having not been their I dont know if thats the human tendency towards cold comfort or what. Or maybe it really is worse post Thatcher?

I was actually on the picket line with our striking teachers today and we were evoking labour strikes over the years and I raised the coal miners of Wales. To great applause :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

Half term has arrived and my missus has taken our son up to spend the rest of the week with her mum so I'm on my own until Friday and I have the day off today.

That means it's time for my annual solo pub crawl around Cardiff with a crossword book. The route has been planned so each pub is within walking distance of a betting shop so I will be having little bets on Equadorian table tennis matches here and there aswell.

I'm sat having a coffee gearing up for it now in the Wetherspoons by the train station where I saw a tramp shit himself back in the day if anyone's in town and wants to join me 😁

I'll be pissed and in bed by 5pm id imagine so plenty of sleep and thursday to recover. I'll be as right as rain by the time they get back on Friday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/02/2020 at 6:03 PM, SoulMonster said:

I realize that some people like to talk politics while drunk, but keep that shit out of the thread, please.

I usually drink a bottle of red wine if home at a Saturday evening. Couldn't really understand why I was getting drunker and drunker...realized that I bought a box of wine today.

Do you find red wine makes your shit black as fuck? :lol:  I've been on the red last couple of nights and I been chucking out some proper fuckin' odd black muck.

2 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

That happens when I have Guiness. 

Has anyone seen that Star Trek episode where Tasha Yar gets killed by a puddle of black tar?

skinofevil195-600x458.jpg

That puddle resembles the consequence of Guinness on your innards. It actually says a lot about the Irish that they all shit black tar. 

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Has anyone seen that Star Trek episode where Tasha Yar gets killed by a puddle of black tar?

skinofevil195-600x458.jpg

That puddle resembles the consequence of Guinness on your innards. It actually says a lot about the Irish that they all shit black tar. 

Come out ye black an tans.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I decided I needed a proper beer this evening. it's been ages. so I decided for something good today, this is the one I chose after carefull consideration:

sint-bernarndus-abt.jpg

it's thick as syrup, alcohol level 10%, 4 years of fermenting in the bottle

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2020 at 5:12 PM, action said:

I decided I needed a proper beer this evening. it's been ages. so I decided for something good today, this is the one I chose after carefull consideration:

sint-bernarndus-abt.jpg

it's thick as syrup, alcohol level 10%, 4 years of fermenting in the bottle

Should we ever find ourselves in Belgium at the same time I'd love to take you to the Delirium Cafe. :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dazey said:

Should we ever find ourselves in Belgium at the same time I'd love to take you to the Delirium Cafe. :) 

Hope I don't lose my membership card after taking you there! :P

and the next time you come over, we definately have to visit the "in the vrede" westvleteren brasserie, the only place in the world where westvleteren is served, in the middle of the flanders fields. You'd have to ignore the monks and religious symbols though - it's a monastery. Gotte do some effort so taste "the best beer in the world".

http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

Edited by action

8 minutes ago, action said:

Hope I don't lose my membership card after taking you there! :P

and the next time you come over, we definately have to visit the "in the vrede" westvleteren brasserie, the only place in the world where westvleteren is served, in the middle of the flanders fields. You'd have to ignore the monks and religious symbols though - it's a monastery. Gotte do some effort so taste "the best beer in the world".

http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

I bought a bunch of no. 12 the last time I was in Amsterdam :)

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I bought a bunch of no. 12 the last time I was in Amsterdam :)

you got lucky then, cos it's not allowed to sell westvleteren outside the monastery. I once got an advertisement of westvleteren removed, as "illegal goods".

bought under the counter?

you probably paid good money for your purchase too. But that's ok, it's really precious beer

13 minutes ago, soon said:

Havent had a beer in well over a month. People go on about 'feeling so much better' after not having a drink in a month. What a bunch of malarky. I just feel like 'hmm, a beer would be nice.' 

I guess it's different for everyone, some feel healthier and more energized when they're off the booze for a while. 

Personally, it makes no difference to me. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I guess it's different for everyone, some feel healthier and more energized when they're off the booze for a while. 

Personally, it makes no difference to me. 

Thats true. I guess its possible that Id feel more energized if I weren't on shutdown. I even have everything I need to whip up a 6 gallon patch or two of ale. But I'm just not motivated too.

The only thing Im energized for is having my cat 'Zoom bomb' the chamber of commerce meetings, lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...