The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I'm lucky to live outside the US in that regard, because otherwise I would have to deal with that fake Havana Club from Bacardi.

Im not is US either, but if I order a Cuba Libre often its just made with the bar rail white rum, sadly.  Ive enjoyed lots of real Cuban rum, and its very distinct and delicious!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, soon said:

Im not is US either, but if I order a Cuba Libre often its just made with the bar rail white rum, sadly.  Ive enjoyed lots of real Cuban rum, and its very distinct and delicious!

That's because Havana Club is quality and Bacardi is quantity. 

Captain Morgan is actually the only western rum brand I can enjoy. 

• Like 1

Havana Club 7 is probably my second favourite rum. First is probably Zaya. Captain Morgan is ok... I kinda forget how good it is because I overdid it around 16-18. (I used to walk around the streets with my friends passing around a bottle of Captain Morgan because there was nothing else to do in my town.)

Nowadays I drink indoors and unfiltered IPA's are half my dinner. :lol:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

a new year brings new year resolutions, and one of my resolutions is, not to touch a drink with a ten foot pole for an undefined amount of time.

today, we mark week two since this policy went into effect. the results are....interesting.

The "haze", that hung like a cloud over my senses, seems to disappear with every passing day. Life, was like watching the world through television. i wasnt really there, there always seemed to be a dissociation between me and the real world. I can't describe it better than that. Colours seem brighter, sound clearer, things smell different, i feel more energetic.... and this knowing i drank two units a week, tops. basically, i feel like a kid again. Kids see the world differently. Everything matters more. Well, turns out not only kids can feel that way.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, action said:

a new year brings new year resolutions, and one of my resolutions is, not to touch a drink with a ten foot pole for an undefined amount of time.

today, we mark week two since this policy went into effect. the results are....interesting.

The "haze", that hung like a cloud over my senses, seems to disappear with every passing day. Life, was like watching the world through television. i wasnt really there, there always seemed to be a dissociation between me and the real world. I can't describe it better than that. Colours seem brighter, sound clearer, things smell different, i feel more energetic.... and this knowing i drank two units a week, tops. basically, i feel like a kid again. Kids see the world differently. Everything matters more. Well, turns out not only kids can feel that way.

Good luck on your new journey. I am thinking about cutting wayyyy back, possibly completely quitting. I just had a physical to see how my liver is functioning. My doctor called today and told me that the results showed my liver is inflamed. They said to just cut back so I don't have real problems in the future.  I actually have been thinking about quitting so this might be the motivation I needed. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 5:37 AM, action said:

Weird. I'm what some may refer to as, "a heavy drinker." I havent had a drink in almost 2 weeks and aside from sleeping a little more soundly, I feel no different at all. I guess I eat more, but no other change, really.

• 2 months later...

Currently drinking this: 

29793106_10155365045375924_2890668815916 

29792921_10155365045465924_7215756326721 

It's a Belgian Duvel beer that went past it's expiration date 10 years ago. And it's absolutely amazing. There's tones of caramel, raisins and PX sherry. Also a very strong malty sweet taste. Things that aren't even remotely distinguisable in regular Duvel. The color is much darker too, like amber. This just aged briliantly. :wub: 

Edited by username

On 19-1-2018 at 2:37 PM, action said:

The "haze", that hung like a cloud over my senses, seems to disappear with every passing day. Life, was like watching the world through television. i wasnt really there, there always seemed to be a dissociation between me and the real world. I can't describe it better than that. Colours seem brighter, sound clearer, things smell different, i feel more energetic....

This is exactly how I've been feeling half of my life. Some say it's depression, but I don't know. Drinking usually helps to lift that ''haze'', though, so I guess I have it the other way around.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

This is exactly how I've been feeling half of my life. Some say it's depression, but I don't know. Drinking usually helps to lift that ''haze'', though, so I guess I have it the other way around.

These days I get "flashes" of connection with my surroundings. I hear the birds wistle, I feel the wind, I smell the rain, my head is empty.... and on no such occasion did I use any substance.

I don't know man. everything seems to have gone downhill from the day I began to drink (it wasnt a lot, but it was there). it's like alcohol destroys something innocent in your brain, permanently. In me, it's not entirely gone (like I said I didnt drank that much), but it's only flashes and they're the best moments of the day.

But now, now that i'm typing this, its like I'm on an express train and time ticks away, and it feels like I'm stuck in a movie I can't escape from. watch television, surf the internet, sleep, eat, work, repeat. it's all so fucking dull

19 minutes ago, action said:

These days I get "flashes" of connection with my surroundings. I hear the birds wistle, I feel the wind, I smell the rain, my head is empty.... and on no such occasion did I use any substance.

I don't know man. everything seems to have gone downhill from the day I began to drink (it wasnt a lot, but it was there). it's like alcohol destroys something innocent in your brain, permanently. In me, it's not entirely gone (like I said I didnt drank that much), but it's only flashes and they're the best moments of the day.

But now, now that i'm typing this, its like I'm on an express train and time ticks away, and it feels like I'm stuck in a movie I can't escape from. watch television, surf the internet, sleep, eat, work, repeat. it's all so fucking dull

Fortunately I don't have that problem with alcohol, but I don't consider myself a heavy drinker, I simply don't allow myself to become one.

What you're describing is the 9 to 5 life... you work all day, you come home tired from work and the commute, and you don't have the energy to do something other than watch tv or go online, and before you know it you have to go to bed in order to be fit the next day for another 8 hours at work. It's extremely dull, especially if you don't get satisfaction from your job. I've been there many times.

6 minutes ago, action said:

haven't touched a drink since new years eve. was difficult on a couple of occasions, but overall im doing fine. I'm missing absolutely nothing. drinking only water, and coke or fanta on occasions. it feels like heaven, man

I hardly drank from september till january because I wanted to give it a break, but I started drinking more regularly again recently and I don't regret it. I feel best when I'm slightly sedated.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

So kind of a stupid question, but whatever. Should I store vodka in the refrigerator or is it fine at room temp?

You can store it at room temp, it won't go bad. But if you are a spontaneous drinker then it could make sense to keep it chilled. 

• Thanks 1