The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Tunney was an educated guy, wasn't he? Miller was all, ''Yo, wazzup'' whereas Joshua speaks like Len. ''Yos from the Brixton hud innit. Scored some skunk from there bros''. 

Hearn's obligatory ''AJ is absolute box office'' was noticeably absent.

Scored?  Scored?! :lol:  This ain’t a 1960s American University campus :lol: 

35 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yos listen tos da Vanilla Ice on wos Ghetto Blaster bruv. 

'Ghetto Blaster', you're so white :lol: 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Tunney was an educated guy, wasn't he?

So's Audley Harrison, Joe Joyce, Wladimir Klitschko, I believe the latter has a Phd.  Caleb Truax too.

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/47276177

I fuckin' remember that and all, just about.  The memory mostly involves not being able to see it :lol: 

My first sporting memory, preceding Italia 90. Somebody I knew ''had a tape'' of it and we watched it - the entire family as boxing was like that in those days, a big communal thing that you could discuss with your grandmother - the next day. 

Everybody used to shite their pants over big hw fights like that in those days. People would be having palpitations the day before. Everybody would be talking about it. The last fight that had a bit of that was Tyson v Lewis really, which was a disappointing fight ultimately. Since then it is a bunch of Johnny Schmucks really on Sky subscription. It is hard to explain how ubiquitous boxers were then. No sport possesses that, not even the FIFA World Cup Final, that sense that everyone in the world is focused on these two guys in this epic thing. It is hard to put into words. God I loved boxing them. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
Added second paragraph.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

My first sporting memory, preceding Italia 90. Somebody I knew ''had a tape'' of it and we watched it - the entire family as boxing was like that in those days, a big communal thing that you could discuss with your grandmother - the next day. 

Everybody used to shite their pants over big hw fights like that in those days. People would be having palpitations the day before. Everybody would be talking about it. The last fight that had a bit of that was Tyson v Lewis really, which was a disappointing fight ultimately. Since then it is a bunch of Johnny Schmucks really on Sky subscription. It is hard to explain how ubiquitous boxers were then. No sport possesses that, not even the FIFA World Cup Final, that sense that everyone in the world is focused on these two guys in this epic thing. It is hard to put into words. God I loved boxing them. 

Why was Lewis and Tyson disappointing? Was a good fight, reasonably competitive...and capped off with a knockout.  You certainly got a lot more for your pound note than seeing Bruno get two shots off on Tyson before getting knocked the fuck out.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Why was Lewis and Tyson disappointing? Was a good fight, reasonably competitive...and capped off with a knockout.  You certainly got a lot more for your pound note than seeing Bruno get two shots off on Tyson before getting knocked the fuck out.

Rubbish fight. The Yank ref kept penalising Lewis if memory serves, and by that stage Tyson was a nothing fighter. Bruno and Tyson any day of the week for me. 

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rubbish fight. The Yank ref kept penalising Lewis if memory serves, and by that stage Tyson was a nothing fighter. Bruno and Tyson any day of the week for me. 

And an unfit and increasingly arrogant Tyson panelling Bruno inside two rounds was Fight of the Century? :lol:  Was it two rounds, I can't even remember.

I don't know what it is but people seem to always expect so much of boxing?  For instance you can watch football and if you see a second division or first division team you expect a second or first division type game.  With boxing, no matter what it is, people'll watch it and go 'its not like it was in the old days, is it?' and it'll be like...some undercard fight of fringe contenders.  There's not a fight night that goes by where I'm with people and the conversation doesn't turn to Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson.  Now there is no bigger fan of the latter two (and indeed many other great boxers) but at the same time to expect every fighter to be like them is like watching Scunthorpe or even a good modern day team like, I dunno, Liverpool or whatever and go 'well its not like Brazil in the 1970 World Cup'. 

And half of the fuckers watching ain't never seen no fuckin' old days :lol:

10 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Only ever seems to be me you and Deez that post in it now days.

No one ever much posted in it before anyway :lol:  And the few that do are easy going chappies that don't mind a good thread derailing.  I never saw the problem myself, I mean if someones got something to say that goes back on topic then they can do it and everythings fixed, its not like shitting on a cake where you gotta start all over again. 

21 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Yeah I never understood it myself but I guess Mods have a job to do and all that jazz.

Again topic derailing found out La Liga and Serie A are back on proper Telly Premiere sports have got it for £10 a month .. might have to next season bit to late in the season now 

The problem with football is if i follow my fan-dom to its logical conclusion I'll be doing nothing but watching football forever.  And like, I work 9 hours a day as it is, i got the hours from 6 to 1am which is my bedtime to fuckin' do something productive, go out, read a book, anything, something fuckin' useful cuz left to my own devices I'll just be fuckin' eating crisps and watching football forever.  I've been really down on football in general actually since December, when the obligatory Arsenal collapse occured.  I dunno why, it happens every fuckin' year but after a while its like...I dunno.  You just realise that the problem lies in the fact that football is really far removed from what turned me onto it as a kid.

For example, players fighting for the team, for the manor, for the neighbourhood, these lot couldn't give a fuck.  The second, roaring raging excited fans...they look fuckin' asleep sometimes.  Being owned and run by a yank concerned more with turnover than the fact that this squad represents the manor, an area, a core base of people who love the team and understand the history and what it means to be a supporter.  So whats left after that?  The craft, the game itself, seeing skill and balls and fuckin'...passionately competitive playing...and there ain't a lot of that either. 

So whats left?  Boxing is and has always been more the sport of my heart, no wonder how big it gets you can never really lose the blood, sweat and tears aspect and it is a sport thats evolving in a positive way in that like, you see fighters like Floyd Mayweather, Lomachenko, Errol Spence, there's PROPER quality fighters out there that are taking the sport somewhere, especially Lomachenko, who to me is an evolutionary step in boxing, a look at the future, a look whats possible with the sport still, its still a joy to watch.

I go to football now and I feel like I don't belong, a bunch of sober smartly dressed posh people.  Last time at the Emirates, I swear to God, a steward had a go at a lad for swearing...get on that, swearing...and all he was doing was like, geeing the team up.  I even stuck up for the bloke and this steward told me to shut the fuck up.  Now I don't fancy a lifetime ban so I didn't say nothing but it proper fucked me off, what, we have to sit there in silence now?  Take your little high viz lollipop mans uniform off and step outside and I'll knock your fuckin' teeth out you bald headed cunt.

Edited by Len Cnut

41 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I think a lot of these problems came into play in the early 2000's the Glazers coming to united and Bin Whats his face over at Citeh in the 2010's or whenever that was.

The game is now just another way of these billionaire lot to make more $$$$ look at United we have official sponsors for fucking everything OT is plagued with advertising with the recent innovation of sleeve sponsors that is only getting worse.

It's all about making big bucks the clubs are run by people who don't give a fuck and will throw huge wages at whoever because its more about image rights that football now days see Sanchez as an example 320K a week ...  A FUCKING WEEK!!!!???

So the feeling just trickles down to the lads on the pitch who are given god like statuses and that brings a god like attitude of I don't have to answer to anyone

The below link makes me feel Tom And Dick I tell ya.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018/06/the-full-list-of-manchester-united-50-official-sponsors.html

A lot of old time United fans kind of took a back seat after the Glazer take over, or so some mates told me.  Yes, I have United supporter mates, I'm not proud of it.