The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

8 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I have considered it but come to accept this is the modern game no escaping it you just gotta roll with it are kid 

What is the modern game though? You need to think of a new way of describing how little you enjoy football compared to whenever it was you liked it. I've heard the term "The modern game" forever and it's not surprising because people have always moaned about football and footballers.

Basically, if we don't like football for what it is now. We have to ask what we loved about it back then. Because let's not fucking kid ourselves, its always been about money in our lifetimes. Our Gerrards, Henrys, Giggsys, Wrightys and Lampardsys are all multi multi millionaires.  We are not old enough to be able to be smug and say how much better it was back then because we ARE the Premier League era. 

• Like 1

Just watch lower league and non-league football. Less diving; teams connected with the actual communities they represent; no money involved; cheaper to watch. I do not know why anyone would want to support all the big Prawn Sandwich teams like Man U and Arsenal these days.  

Morpeth Town. Support teams like that. Unibond league.

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just watch lower league and non-league football. Less diving; teams connected with the actual communities they represent; no money involved; cheaper to watch. I do not know why anyone would want to support all the big Prawn Sandwich teams like Man U and Arsenal these days.  

I couldn’t not support Arsenal if i tried to.

14 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

So Brezeale ( bet I'm spelling that wrong ) is now fighting Wilder poor old Whyte just can't seem to get a fight at the moment.

Wouldn't mind seeing him and Parker go for it again or Takam.

You wanna watch Errol Spence vs Mikey Garcia this weekend, quality fight, you need to get on it.

10 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

What channel is it on?

I might find a stream if its PPV saving my pennies for beer tokens in Bangkok

Fuck knows actually, I need to fight that out, might have to find a stream myself but its a must watch fella ;)

5 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

ITV4 have had some pretty decent cards recently ain't they? 

They have the elite level yanks as headliners, which are really better quality than your Dillian Whytes and Tony Bellews that we pay 20 quid a pop for...and its all for gratis.

On 27/02/2019 at 10:27 PM, spunko12345 said:

Basically, if we don't like football for what it is now. We have to ask what we loved about it back then. Because let's not fucking kid ourselves, its always been about money in our lifetimes. Our Gerrards, Henrys, Giggsys, Wrightys and Lampardsys are all multi multi millionaires.  We are not old enough to be able to be smug and say how much better it was back then because we ARE the Premier League era. 

I yeah but it is another level of silly these days. The last time I was really arsed about football was probably in the late 90's when Middlesbrough had a half decent premiership squad. This was when Ravenelli (a 30 goal a season champion's league winner) cost £7 million. Juninho was only £4.5 million. That's a million miles away from where we are today when the smaller clubs have no chance of putting together a squad like that.

On 27/02/2019 at 10:40 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I live less than 300 yards from Altrincham FC's ground. I've not been to a game yet but quite fancy getting into a local side in the lower leagues where I can actually take the family for less than the cost of a new car.

Edited by Dazey

Freebie my arse, I paid for my TV lisence and I don't even watch fuckin' TV, I deserve this, all these years of laying out for PPVs, this should be the standard, boxing on a high, long term contracts with terrestrial TV, then have us pay for fuckin' fights that are worth paying for, big massive fuckin' best meets best unification jobbies.  I just hope this Al Haymon/ITV thing lasts for the next 20 years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Fucking Hell there are still people out there paying for a TV license? I haven't paid for one in about 10 years 

The Eastenders set don't build itself y'know :lol:  I'll happily fund the BBC, I think its a wonderful organisation.

Edited by Len Cnut

11 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Bollocks to that I pay sky £105 a month £145 if you include my phone I ain't paying anymore for telly 

I think the BBC are a wonderful organisation, they've given so much to British culture, I want to see them continue.  All the massive cultural events they've televised, all the sporting events, all the sitcoms and such that they bought to us, what they gave us in terms of music and such too during that whole cultural revolution, the amount of arts, funding, OU (was that BBC?), the BBC gave this country a window to a rapidly changing world, BBC News etc...even right down to like us kids and that, sitting around watching cartoons or childrens programming, they contribute to the making of us, fair dues they've fallen off a bit of late and there's a lot that could be done to make it better but those things should be done, I would love to see like...The Comedy Playhouse and Wednesday Play make a comeback, it would be nice if they would perhaps try a little harder to cater to what is a little more elevated in people rather than the lowest common denominator but its there to be done if we choose to.

I much prefer that to paying for Sky, which is just a pit you throw more and more money into and get less and less out of it.

10 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

They have also purposely tried to hide the seedy little secrets of pedophiles over the years.

Which is a load of bollocks quite frankly.  If they knew shit there would've been nothing that would've served them better than a good ol' expose, the truth is all they knew was rumours and you can't take a man to the hanging tree over rumours otherwise you get sued.  The people that should get fingers pointed at them over Saville and what he got away with is the police, they're the ones who ignored or supressed a trail of charges going back 50 years, its not the BBCs job to arrest and/or convict people. 

• Like 1