The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Watching bare knuckle something or other, outside of my usual milieu but let it not be said I don’t try new things, watching it chiefly because an actual boxer is the main event, Paulie Malignaggi.  The ones I’ve seen so far ain’t really all that, they all seem to be kinda MMA guys having a stand up fight, honestly they’re really not that good, bum fighting really, I’ve seen gyppos with bags more skill.

35 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Did you see Charlo knock that boy out over the weekend?

I'm taking my nephew down to the boxing gym tomorrow because my brother can't make it. He's been going about 6 weeks now. He's a bit chubby but hes loving it, they've been getting on the pads with him and on the bikes. Selby and his brother train there and Lee's been in there a few times according to my bro so if I see him I'm gonna ask him if he's really planning on fighting Broner and try and talk him out of it 😂

13 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I'm taking my nephew down to the boxing gym tomorrow because my brother can't make it. He's been going about 6 weeks now. He's a bit chubby but hes loving it, they've been getting on the pads with him and on the bikes. Selby and his brother train there and Lee's been in there a few times according to my bro so if I see him I'm gonna ask him if he's really planning on fighting Broner and try and talk him out of it 😂

He could do Broner, Broner ain’t all that.  Problem is the way to beat Broner is pressure and Selbz ain’t really a pressure fighter.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

FFS Fury got me excited then had added the date to my phones calendar like a saddo and everything 

The same guy who guys 'alright Dillian Whyte, I'll fight you but only if the WBC put the Diamond belt on the line!' (thinkin' they wouldn't do that in a month of Sundays)

WBC: Yeah alright, we're up for that.

Fury:  Fuck off!  I ain't fighting Dillian Whyte

:lol:

I love Fury, don't get me wrong (chiefly because I think that this countrys heavyweight aspirations rest in his hands and perhaps only in his hands) but the man talks pure fuckin' shit :lol:

So Lenny you think a fight between ya boy Saunders and GGG is a possibility? To be honest I wouldn't have given Saunders a chance in hell up until recently but I thint it would be a good fight. Question is could Billy eat many of G's punches? For all of Saunders technical ability GGG is elite level and he'll connect plenty of times.

2 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

So Lenny you think a fight between ya boy Saunders and GGG is a possibility? To be honest I wouldn't have given Saunders a chance in hell up until recently but I thint it would be a good fight. Question is could Billy eat many of G's punches? For all of Saunders technical ability GGG is elite level and he'll connect plenty of times.

Saunders is tough as fuck.  He has a chin on him.  Whether he's tough on GGG level remains to be seen but he's a solid ol' boy.  Its there to be done for Bill, the mans aging, if you're gonna beat him nows the time, just move, stick stick, just stay on your bike, don't get caught up, make a boring fight of it.  Whatever else happens he'll make a better job of it than your Curtis Stevenses and Willie Monroes.  G is a fuckin' tall order though but if there's one thing that is proven its that the way to beat him, if there is a way to desicively do so, is to fuckin' move and Bill can move.  G's shot selection is not typical though.  I think Bill can do it.  CAN is one thing though, whether he will or not is another.  He's got that fuckin' mental toughness thats needed, you just can't really look at his competition and say 'alright, THAT fight proves he can do it'.  G is a lot more technically sound than some people give him credit for, he ain't no fuckin' David Lemiuex that'll be plodding after you all night, he might be slow but he's methodical, cuts off the ring beautifully, gets you onto the ropes almost without you knowing.  But if Bill can just stay on his bike, feint feint, give him angles, don't let him set his feet to get those shots off, just pop and move, pop and move, I dunno, its there to be done.  Perhaps I'm being optimistic though cuz I want Bill to win.  Just finesse him, like Ray Leonard done to Hagler, steal the fight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Saunders is tough as fuck.  He has a chin on him.  Whether he's tough on GGG level remains to be seen but he's a solid ol' boy.  Its there to be done for Bill, the mans aging, if you're gonna beat him nows the time, just move, stick stick, just stay on your bike, don't get caught up, make a boring fight of it.  Whatever else happens he'll make a better job of it than your Curtis Stevenses and Willie Monroes.  G is a fuckin' tall order though but if there's one thing that is proven its that the way to beat him, if there is a way to desicively do so, is to fuckin' move and Bill can move.  G's shot selection is not typical though.  I think Bill can do it.  CAN is one thing though, whether he will or not is another.  He's got that fuckin' mental toughness thats needed, you just can't really look at his competition and say 'alright, THAT fight proves he can do it'.  G is a lot more technically sound than some people give him credit for, he ain't no fuckin' David Lemiuex that'll be plodding after you all night, he might be slow but he's methodical, cuts off the ring beautifully, gets you onto the ropes almost without you knowing.  But if Bill can just stay on his bike, feint feint, give him angles, don't let him set his feet to get those shots off, just pop and move, pop and move, I dunno, its there to be done.  Perhaps I'm being optimistic though cuz I want Bill to win.  Just finesse him, like Ray Leonard done to Hagler, steal the fight.

Funny you mention Lemuiex that was the fight I started taking Saunders seriously...David Lemuiex isn't top TOP level but hes a very tough fight and Saunders made it look easy. I think it could happen, perfect fight for both of them right now.

14 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Funny you mention Lemuiex that was the fight I started taking Saunders seriously...David Lemuiex isn't top TOP level but hes a very tough fight and Saunders made it look easy. I think it could happen, perfect fight for both of them right now.

Eubank and Andy Lee was when I started taking him seriously.  Not that Eubank is some great shakes but because he out-boxed a high workrate guy with basically just a double jab for 6 rounds and when Chris came on strong he took a few decent shots and didn't wobble, good solid shots.  Andy Lee because he basically out-boxed the guy also he showed a judiciousness.  First of all that shot he dropped Lee with was a perfectly timed and executed shot, from a guy whoose considered a non puncher but it was just pure technique.  And then, instead of basically wading in he just used his brains, backed off, showed ring IQ in the sense that Lee one of those wounded animal jobs, a bit like Nigel Benn, dangerous when he's hurt...so he just backed right off him and picked his shots all night, didn't fight with emotion but rather with brains.

I mean I knew he was something even before that but you never really know until they take it up a level.

In other news:

Daniel Dubois vs Nathan Gorman, REALLY interesting fight and a brave one to be taking so early in their careers.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2019 at 5:19 PM, Len Cnut said:

Pernell Whittaker, the most underrated boxer of a generation, robbed against Julio Cesar Chavez and Oscar De La Hoya and Jose Luis Ramirez, only really lost the last two fighters of his career....before there was Floyd there was Sweet Pea Whittaker.  Having started boxing in 1984 he never really lost a fight properly until 1999, before retiring in 2001.  A legitimate 2 weight lineal world champion at light and welter.

Little did I know my man would be falling off the perch in a couple of months...gutted :( 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Khan reckons he is fighting Pacman in November in Saudi.

Pacs will fuck him up! 

Khan is clever in a money making sense but this is an oddly timed announcement.  For one Pacman is lined up to fight the infinitely bigger threat in welterweight champ Keith Thurman this weekend, why would you announce this fight a week before Pacman is about to face the stiffest test he's faced since Floyd Mayweather?  (which is not to say he's fought bums since, its just Keith is a quality opponent, undefeated and the conquerer of Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia).  If Pacman loses it kinda takes the legs out of the Khan fight a bit though Khan don't care, he just wants a legend on his resume I suppose.  And if Pacman beats Thurman, which is also very possible, it will make a Khan fight all the jucier.

All of this is academic though because, even at 40 Pacman has way too much for Khan I think, though I have Thurman with the edge in a fight vs Pacman, if a very slight edge.  I'm a lot more interested in Pac vs Thurman this sunday than Khan vs anybody.  Its gonna be in Saudi though so he'll get some of that Man City money for his ride off into the sunset.  I'd also bear in mind that Khan saying the fight is done is hardly a reliable announcement, though there's every reason it might be, especially for the Saudi money, which Pac and Khan will both welcome. 

Edited by Len Cnut