The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

9 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Well Tyson doesn't bleed and he was never going to land anything on Roy so should go the distance then ;)

Landing on Roy hasn’t been difficult for the last 10 years.

Exhibition fights are just glorified sparring sessions...though they might be expected to heat it up a bit if they are charging PPV.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The fact this fight has acquired far more interest than anything else in boxing tells us much about the state of the sport.

I dunno, Fury vs Wilder was pretty big.  AJ vs Ruiz too.  And honestly I don’t think this fight has garnered inordinate amounts of interest.  Everyone knows its not really a fight in the proper competitive sense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

40 odd stone? 🤣

I tell you what though, he still clumps Corey Sanders, gets him going, its hard to do an exhibition when you got a style like Mikes because its pretty much set up to just knock people out, he’s sort of holding Sanders up here :lol: 

I don't think it's going to be like the Sanders fight. I think it's going to be a lot more competitive than that, neither one of these guys wants to be made to look bad. I think it's going to be a lot more authentic than some realize. They are wanting to start this new "league" so they have to make a good first impression. 

I've heard Mike talk about it, and he wants this to be separate from traditional boxing (especially the major sanctioning bodies). That's one of the reasons why he's fighting Roy, because he was ok with that. Other fighters Mike talked to had managers, promoters, etc that had ties to the alphabet sanctioning bodies. Mike said "Roy has been promoting himself on his own for years, and that's what I was looking for." Roy also is a BIG name (that's important), and he isn't really a contemporary of Mike's like Holyfield or someone like that is. 

Roy talked about he fight also and he eluded to the "contemporary thing". He was asked about fighting Hopkins again and he said "I want to, and that would be a different thing. If I fight Hopkins again, it's going to be a real fight not an exhibition, too much history." So I'm sure Tyson has similar feelings about getting into the ring with Holyfield or Lewis or someone else like that. He's taking this fight serious, as is Roy, but not having a "winner" kinda takes the pressure off. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

15 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, Fury vs Wilder was pretty big.  AJ vs Ruiz too.  And honestly I don’t think this fight has garnered inordinate amounts of interest.  Everyone knows its not really a fight in the proper competitive sense.

Nowt but a bunch of Johnny Schmucks. Tyson, Ali, Sugar Ray: that was boxing.

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nowt but a bunch of Johnny Schmucks. Tyson, Ali, Sugar Ray: that was boxing.

That's part of Tyson's motivation for starting this "league." He said "the athletes of old are still more popular, have more fans, etc than the current guys are." Which he is not wrong, for every guy like Len that is still really interested in the current guys, there are 10 that stopped caring after "their" guys retired. 

Don't get me wrong, I still "care" about current boxing. I've always been a heavyweight guy, while I enjoy welter, middle, and light heavy I detest how many weight classes exist. I also don't care for anything under welter. I also have serious issues with the alphabet sanctioning bodies (I could go on and on here). 

Another thing that has changed in me, is I no longer am a "fan" of athletes anymore. I tried liking Wilder, but he's a tool honestly. I respect Fury, I think Joshua has only had one real fight (Klitschko), so I'm not jumping for joy for the current guys. Having said that, I enjoyed Fury vs Wilder and would enjoy Fury vs Joshua and Joshua vs Wilder. My interest in a Wilder vs Fury 3 is there as well, but below the other two. 

My disinterest in modern athletes goes well beyond boxing. I still like my hometown teams, and the players on them. But as far as guys on other teams, I honestly can't stand the lot of them, in all sports. LeBron James is there queen, and I could go on and on about that wanker (different topic). But it's sowered me on all modern athletes. I will never like another boxer as much as I liked Tyson. Or another basketball player as much as I liked Michael Jordan. A lot of that is they were the guys of my youth, yes. But it's also the modern entitled premadonna attitude they have now. 

Anyways to get back on topic, yes a Tyson vs Jones exhibition bout is MORE exciting to me than anything boxing can offer outside of Fury vs Joshua. 

3 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Heres mine

1. Roy Jones Jnr

2. Sugar

3. GGG

4. Ali

5. Tyson

6. James Toney

7. Calzaghe

8.Julio Chavez

9. Canelo

10. fuck it Prince Naseem

So you gotta be interested in this Tyson vs Jones fight? 

As I showed on my list, I'm a Roy Jones Jr fan as well. I'm pretty proud of my fight collection, and I have all of Jones best fights (as well as a laundry list of other fighters). He is honestly my 3rd favorite fighter to watch (behind Tyson and Leonard). Throwing on an old Roy Jones Jr fight is a good time imo. 

7 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

So you gotta be interested in this Tyson vs Jones fight? 

As I showed on my list, I'm a Roy Jones Jr fan as well. I'm pretty proud of my fight collection, and I have all of Jones best fights (as well as a laundry list of other fighters). He is honestly my 3rd favorite fighter to watch (behind Tyson and Leonard). Throwing on an old Roy Jones Jr fight is a good time imo. 

I'm interested for sure, just not sure if i'm PPV interested......though i'll probably cave in and watch haha

I dunno how you do these top tens, either of personal favourites or pound for pound lists.  I have like a thousand fighters I like.  I could pick a number one, his names Muhammad Ali.  Thats number one as in the one I personally like, as opposed to he's the greatest pound for pound.  He's in the argument for sure.

On 28/07/2020 at 10:10 PM, Silverburst80 said:

Tony Bellew knocked himself senseless with a left hook during filming, like proper senseless, neck-twisting senseless, a hook that he knew was coming, that according to Bellew, he was only giving about 40% to. 

On 7/28/2020 at 10:04 PM, Len Cnut said:

I dunno how you do these top tens, either of personal favourites or pound for pound lists.  I have like a thousand fighters I like.  I could pick a number one, his names Muhammad Ali.  Thats number one as in the one I personally like, as opposed to he's the greatest pound for pound.  He's in the argument for sure.

I should clasify that outside of Roy the rest are in no particular order..but the others are always names i'll go watch old fights of the most. GGG and Canelo are my modern favourites.