The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

@Len Cnut

Honest question, did you ever get serious about boxing?  I know you've always been an avid fan I was just wondering if you ever took it up as a sport?

Unfortunately there’s never been a Lankystreakofpissweight for him to get involved in. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

@Len Cnut

Honest question, did you ever get serious about boxing?  I know you've always been an avid fan I was just wondering if you ever took it up as a sport?

No is the short answer :lol:  Went to the gym a bit, loved all that, roadwork, punchbag all that shite but there's no way I could stand there and get punched in the face, I just ain't got the temperment for it.  It takes a special kind of person to handle that and I ain't one of em.  I'm more of your music listening fag variety :lol:  I was always terrible at sport in general, boxing beats the fuckin' ego out of you REAL quick, when you're in a room full of fuckin' geezers and some guys knocking you all over the ring, methodically and systematically working you over, nah, fuck that, not this boy :lol:  I have nowhere near the stomach for it.  My old man really wanted me to do it but like...its not one of those things you can half heartedly do, y'know? 

Just now, Dazey said:

Unfortunately there’s never been a Lankystreakofpissweight for him to get involved in. :lol: 

I'm fuckin' heavyweight right now mate, 15 stone, or just under I think, just a shade :lol:  But its 15 stone of fuckin' Stella and kettle chips and kebabs :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

No is the short answer :lol:  Went to the gym a bit, loved all that, roadwork, punchbag all that shite but there's no way I could stand there and get punched in the face, I just ain't got the temperment for it.  It takes a special kind of person to handle that and I ain't one of em.  I'm more of your music listening fag variety :lol:  I was always terrible at sport in general, boxing beats the fuckin' ego out of you REAL quick, when you're in a room full of fuckin' geezers and some guys knocking you all over the ring, methodically and systematically working you over, nah, fuck that, not this boy :lol:  I have nowhere near the stomach for it.  My old man really wanted me to do it but like...its not one of those things you can half heartedly do, y'know? 

I'm fuckin' heavyweight right now mate, 15 stone, or just under I think, just a shade :lol:  But its 15 stone of fuckin' Stella and kettle chips and kebabs :lol:

I’m only 14 and a bit at the moment* you fat cunt! :lol: 

* at 5’9”. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I’m only 14 and a bit at the moment* you fat cunt! :lol:

* at 5’9”. :lol: 

I'm a big lad so I wear it alright but its fuckin' actually starting to show now and I've never had that before so I decided to fuck it and start getting some exercise again.  Just been eating and drinking like a pig lately.  Anyway I went out for a run right and I was fuckin' stunned.  I can't even run a mile.  I have to keep walking for periods, like 3 or 4 times I had to walk.  Not even a fuckin' mile, I was disgusted.  So the last 4 days in a row I been getting up 5 in the morning and running.  Couldn't believe it, not even a fuckin' mile. 

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Indeed.  It's probably among the most demanding sports that exist.

One of my old friends from college boxed as a kid, then throughout high-school, etc.  But he was always the most level-headed, laid back guy around. 

Not many people knew he used to box until one night....a guy got piss drunk, got kicked out of one of his house parties.....the guy comes back with a revolver, points it about 2 inches from his forehead....the next thing anyone sees is the guy flying 5 feet backwards, flat on his back, completely knocked out...no gun in his hand.

Everyone looks at my friend, in total confusion because he had the gun in his left hand.  Apparently he swiped the pistol with his left hand and immediately gave him a Mike Tyson style uppercut with his right...right under his jaw...instantly knocked him out and sent him flying.   He did it so fast, no one even realized he swiped the gun before sending him for a ride.  :lol:  

39 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Indeed.  It's probably among the most demanding sports that exist.

One of my old friends from college boxed as a kid, then throughout high-school, etc.  But he was always the most level-headed, laid back guy around. 

Not many people knew he used to box until one night....a guy got piss drunk, got kicked out of one of his house parties.....the guy comes back with a revolver, points it about 2 inches from his forehead....the next thing anyone sees is the guy flying 5 feet backwards, flat on his back, completely knocked out...no gun in his hand.

Everyone looks at my friend, in total confusion because he had the gun in his left hand.  Apparently he swiped the pistol with his left hand and immediately gave him a Mike Tyson style uppercut with his right...right under his jaw...instantly knocked him out and sent him flying.   He did it so fast, no one even realized he swiped the gun before sending him for a ride.  :lol:  

Yeah, thats a little more guts than I got but, yeah :lol:  you’d be surprised how handy that shit is, boxing I mean, more so than martial arts and anything else on the street, simply because its like an art of inches yknow, when you slip a shot its inches away from getting hit and its gotta be sharp and snappy and you can pull too far out otherwise you’re out of reach for the counter, the sort of speed it engenders in you is no joke.  

its a hard hustle though, see, for example, this is how I know the upcoming Tyson vs Jones fight is gonna be a tickling contest.  Even your pros, your greats, after a lay off, need to get some heavy sparring or a couple of fights in because even the aspect of taking a punch you need to reaccustom yourself to, no matter how elite level or experienced you are.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, thats a little more guts than I got but, yeah :lol:  you’d be surprised how handy that shit is, boxing I mean, more so than martial arts and anything else on the street, simply because its like an art of inches yknow, when you slip a shot its inches away from getting hit and its gotta be sharp and snappy and you can pull too far out otherwise you’re out of reach for the counter, the sort of speed it engenders in you is no joke.  

its a hard hustle though, see, for example, this is how I know the upcoming Tyson vs Jones fight is gonna be a tickling contest.  Even your pros, your greats, after a lay off, need to get some heavy sparring or a couple of fights in because even the aspect of taking a punch you need to reaccustom yourself to, no matter how elite level or experienced you are.

I don't know, man...Tyson looks pretty good lately....

I'm back' says former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson in new video as ...

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

I’m not suggesting he’s not capable, he’s just not gonna, its not the intention...though having said that if you’re charging PPV you might have to offer a little more than what is usual in an exhibition fight.  

33 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I’m not suggesting he’s not capable, he’s just not gonna, its not the intention...though having said that if you’re charging PPV you might have to offer a little more than what is usual in an exhibition fight.  

If he wants to win, he won't have a choice but to use his power.  If not, won't  Roy Jones just dance around him, wear him down with jabs, etc.?

51 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

If he wants to win, he won't have a choice but to use his power.  If not, won't  Roy Jones just dance around him, wear him down with jabs, etc.?

Roy can’t really move like that anymore, hasn’t been able to in ages, wasn’t really much of a dancer as such even in his prime, more of an athletic counter puncher.

13 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

So who do you think will win?  

Tyson probably...but as I say, its an exhibition of skill, as competitiveness goes its kinda lightweight, not judges, ref just picks a winner.

Trivia, back in the day when Roy did the amazing feat of going from middleweight to win the heavyweight title there were whispers of a Roy v Tyson fight but Roys old man vetoed it with the statement that ‘you don’t drive a Pinto at a Mack truck’.

• Haha 1

I went to see my mum today and she lives 5 minutes from Calzaghes old mans gym is which used to be literally a shed with corrugated iron roof.

He's started doing it up into a proper gym again now since Enzo died and gonna start training boxers in there again. Whether he does or not is debatable as he seems to drift from one thing to another since retiring. Acting at one point I think.  But the gym definately looks less shabby.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I went to see my mum today and she lives 5 minutes from Calzaghes old mans gym is which used to be literally a shed with corrugated iron roof.

He's started doing it up into a proper gym again now since Enzo died and gonna start training boxers in there again. Whether he does or not is debatable as he seems to drift from one thing to another since retiring. Acting at one point I think.  But the gym definately looks less shabby.

In a few interviews he’s seemed a bit...lost without boxing, like he don’t really know what to do with himself.  I believe he mentioned acting as like...just something that didn’t fill the gap for him, he found auditioning to be like, beneath him.

Well, there’s always Carl ‘80,000 people at Wembley’ Froch :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

In a few interviews he’s seemed a bit...lost without boxing, like he don’t really know what to do with himself.  I believe he mentioned acting as like...just something that didn’t fill the gap for him, he found auditioning to be like, beneath him.

Well, there’s always Carl ‘80,000 people at Wembley’ Froch :lol: 

I agree, I got that same vibe from the middleweight behind the gloves that he did. The only unbeaten fighter there, ok you can debate the resumes etc but unbeaten as champion is impressive.

I think at the time Froch just didn't interest him. I certainly don't think he ducked him. I think if towards the end of Joe's career Froch was a fight that was 80k at Wembely he would have got up for it and beat him comfortably. Having said that, at the time Froch seemed more dangerous prospect than what he actually turned out to be. 

20 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I agree, I got that same vibe from the middleweight behind the gloves that he did. The only unbeaten fighter there, ok you can debate the resumes etc but unbeaten as champion is impressive.

I think at the time Froch just didn't interest him. I certainly don't think he ducked him. I think if towards the end of Joe's career Froch was a fight that was 80k at Wembely he would have got up for it and beat him comfortably. Having said that, at the time Froch seemed more dangerous prospect than what he actually turned out to be. 

Froch desperately wanted that showdown cuz he figured Joe for a slapper and thought he’d pound him and it’d be the big british showdown that he could cement a domestic legacy of that Eubank-Benn stripe with, it cheesed him off when Joe weren’t really arsed and he’s not got over it ever since, thats his real issue with Joe.  He never really got that hometown domestic clash, ironically, until the end of his career with Groves.  

But in 08 when Calzaghe had his last fight who was Froch really, what, British and Commonwealth?  Why would Calzaghe go there?

Froch really lets himself down with how bitter he is with everybody, remember a whiles back he wanted to ‘have a straightener with Joe on the cobbles?’, what a bellend.  And his Andre Ward thing, whenever Ward is mentioned he can’t say a kind word about him, all cuz the guy done him...and Wards a really nice fella, he done come off that aggro sort of character.

I’ll be honest with you, I never really respected Joe when he was around but I should’ve done, that resume shit is not to be ignored but at the same time, as you say, he fuckin’ done the business each time of asking and with considerable style. If he would’ve been a white Englishman and not a taffy he would be a fuckin’ hero over here and I honestly believe that.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, Ace Nova said:

Tyson does look great, power and speed looks spot on. Take into account though mainly the the footage has been him hitting the mits and the bag and short bursts at that. Roys plan i would think would be to avoid getting punched in the face at all costs early and take Mike into "deep water". Mike being out of the ring for 15 years and Roy being an active fighterr until a year ago WILL count for alot the longer the fight goes.

• Like 1

Have there been many genuine tight fights in these lockdown Matchroom cards? I know Cheese and Egg was. I havent watched them all so I'm not judging one way or another. I just get suspicious of whether a Matchroom event where they have free reign to cherry pick the opponents is going to be anything more than 80/20.