The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

2 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Have there been many genuine tight fights in these lockdown Matchroom cards? I know Cheese and Egg was. I havent watched them all so I'm not judging one way or another. I just get suspicious of whether a Matchroom event where they have free reign to cherry pick the opponents is going to be anything more than 80/20. 

They’re alright, he knows he can’t make no big fights cuz none of the big boys will fight without revenue so he’s just taken all the second stringers and could be’s and making em fight, they’re good enough fights, for the level that they’re at.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

They’re alright, he knows he can’t make no big fights cuz none of the big boys will fight without revenue so he’s just taken all the second stringers and could be’s and making em fight, they’re good enough fights, for the level that they’re at.

Yeah fair point.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, moreblack said:

You guys are closer to the sport than me, can he do it?

Do what, beat Roy Jones in an exhibition? Can’t see why not, though the opposite is just as likely.  Don’t be fooled by the well edited clip, what you’re looking at there is a bloke in his 50s with back problems and feet problems and all sorts of issues that stem from a lifetime of intense rigourous training.  Honestly, its not that interesting a proposition.  

Mike said he could hardly move for a week after that initial training video came out :lol: Gotta love Mike atleast he was being honest, sure his conditioning is better now though.

Roy isn't letting too much go as far as footage, i believe hes sparring with Eubank jnr. Heres a little recent clip, the right hand hook at 35 sec had something behind it

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

@Len Cnut have you seen this?

I admire Roy Jones and I think he's a class act.  That said, Mike Tyson (obviously) looks like the heavier hitter....but what's surprising is that he looks faster as well.  There's no doubt Tyson is taking this fight seriously.  

Mike don't look fast, those clips are literally punches right before they are being thrown, tied together end to end.  Mike did those drills from age 13 until into his late 30s, those drills are embedded in him, take any ex-fighter at the age of 40 to 60 and get em going on the pads, working out day in day out like training camp, they will all be able to admirably replicate that shit whilst looking a step or two slower, the fact is Mike is an old man and Roy ain't no fuckin' spring chicken either.  I'm not saying they shouldn't do it and I'm not saying they don't look great for their age (why wouldn't they, its Roy Jones and Mike Tyson, arguably two of the best athletes of the last 40 years), I just don't think all this 'OMG, ITS THE OLD MIKE AGAIN!' stuff is very realistic.  Go back to his last fight, look at the training clips from then, doing these same pad drills, he looks fucking fantastic...stick him in the ring and by the 3rd, when he's blowing heavy and walking like he's got his feet in treacle, then talk to me.

And Roy Jones, did you see any of his last fights?  Losing to people like Enzo Macranelli, who ain't fit to tie Roys boots.  But its an exhibition fight, its a public sparring session, though they'll probably have to turn the heat up at least a bit if they're gonna charge PPV.  Also, Mike Tyson is a career heavyweight, RJJ started out as a middleweight, then campaigned most of the rest of his career at light heavy and cruiser, not even the same weight division, there's a reason why weight divisions exist, as RJ's old man put it, 'you don't put a mack truck up against a pinto'.  Its all a joke really, like Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor, everyone knows it ain't like a serious competitive thing. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Dillian Whyte rematch, Nov 21st.  See how easily fights can get made when fighters are up for it?  Rematch clause I know but Wilder and Fury have that and its taken forever.

How do you call it? Does Dillion get his own back?

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

How do you call it? Does Dillion get his own back?

I dunno, its a tricky one.  I mean Dillian is clearly limited and Povetkin is a former Olympic champion and a class heavyweight, with losses only to Klitschko and Big Josh.  As I say, its a slippery one and if he doesn’t concentrate Pov’ll put him away but honestly I think Dillian has enough for him.  His boxing fundamentals are nowhere near Pov, ones an Olympic gold medalist and the other only had like a handful of amateur fights...like six.  He just took Pov lightly, should do it this time.

P.S. I’ve never won a boxing bet in my life :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...

Adam Booth must be the smuggest, most unlikable character in boxing today. He talks all this shit about his silly covid conspiracy theories and how the masses need to stop being brain dead followers, stop wearing masks and open their minds and that's all fine apparently.

Then, I call him a feeble minded twat ONCE on Twitter and I get blocked by the bald prick :lol: Its the double standards that get to me :lol:

On 9/15/2020 at 5:11 PM, Len Cnut said:

Dillian Whyte rematch, Nov 21st.  See how easily fights can get made when fighters are up for it?  Rematch clause I know but Wilder and Fury have that and its taken forever.

Is it wise though to get straight back in so soon after literally suffering mild brain damage. At least have a tune up and a proper bit of recovery time before going into another 50/50 against the same guy who might do the same again. That's taking risks with your long term health.

1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

Adam Booth must be the smuggest, most unlikable character in boxing today. He talks all this shit about his silly covid conspiracy theories and how the masses need to stop being brain dead followers, stop wearing masks and open their minds and that's all fine apparently.

Then, I call him a feeble minded twat ONCE on Twitter and I get blocked by the bald prick :lol: Its the double standards that get to me :lol:

He's a fuckin' pompous slaphead prick isn't he?  Word around the campfire is the reason he and David Haye and George Groves split is because he done them out of money, had some sort of fuckin' shady investments and they sunk their money into that went sideways and led to them getting fucked financially, hence David Haye doing that comeback and fighting those two soft opponents followed by his famed encounters with Bellew.  Haye wrote a bouncy cheque in Dubai behind all that shit and them Arabs don't take kindly to an unsettled debt, its like a serious crime in that country.

1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

Is it wise though to get straight back in so soon after literally suffering mild brain damage. At least have a tune up and a proper bit of recovery time before going into another 50/50 against the same guy who might do the same again. That's taking risks with your long term health.

I dunno, knowing what we do about head trauma etc, with my thinking cap on, yeah, you might say its worth thinking about but look, can he really afford not to?  I mean thats his fuckin' mandatory spot, the one he'd be holding onto for over 1000 days with no title shot, then right on the eve of some sort of progress he ends up getting turned over, he's got to get that shit back for the sake of his career otherwise is Fury Wilder, Fury AJ, AJ Usyk, Fury Povetkin etc etc any number of combinations pushing him back in the queue, whats he gonna do, become the next Del Chisora, he's really got no choice.

And anyway, fighters did it in the old days, maybe he's made of sterner stuff. 

Edited by Len Cnut

He's a fuckin' pompous slaphead prick isn't he?  Word around the campfire is the reason he and David Haye and George Groves split is because he done them out of money, had some sort of fuckin' shady investments and they sunk their money into that went sideways and led to them getting fucked financially, hence David Haye doing that comeback and fighting those two soft opponents followed by his famed encounters with Bellew.  Haye wrote a bouncy cheque in Dubai behind all that shit and them Arabs don't take kindly to an unsettled debt, its like a serious crime in that country.

I dunno, knowing what we do about head trauma etc, with my thinking cap on, yeah, you might say its worth thinking about but look, can he really afford not to?  I mean thats his fuckin' mandatory spot, the one he'd be holding onto for over 1000 days with no title shot, then right on the eve of some sort of progress he ends up getting turned over, he's got to get that shit back for the sake of his career otherwise is Fury Wilder, Fury AJ, AJ Usyk, Fury Povetkin etc etc any number of combinations pushing him back in the queue, whats he gonna do, become the next Del Chisora, he's really got no choice.

And anyway, fighters did it in the old days, maybe he's made of sterner stuff. 

That's my point though. Chasing the World title if your not quite a world title level boxer is all well and good but you normally get a shot and then if you get knocked out in pursuit of it it takes at least 12 months to get another one. 

Just now, spunko12345 said:

That's my point though. Chasing the World title if your not quite a world title level boxer is all well and good but you normally get a shot and then if you get knocked out in pursuit of it it takes at least 12 months to get another one. 

These are the ones who get punchy later on.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

That would explain why Haye had them knockover fights on Channel 5. I remember he boxed this Australian fella and beat the fuck out of the poor bastard for about 2 rounds.

Eddie Hearn has got coronavirus.  Surely he's been around the whole 'Matchroom bubble' in the  lead up to the Buatsi fight tommorow. 

Apparently you have to get tested before being allowed into the bubble so he hasn't been near the fighters refs etc so all going ahead. He was the only positive out of 70 odd which seems a bit strange but there you go.