Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 4:25 AM, zeppelinrocksnexttognr said:

Ziggler! U.s. title! Good. Although. Idk what he's doing. Leaving the belt in the ring. Jesus. They're just gonna screw him over again aren't they?

After their promos, I'd expect him and Natty to be off tv for a bit and turn up at NXT. Word was Zigs wants a behind the scenes role with the company, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a PC coach and NXT get-over guy for the up and comers. 

5 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

I'm picking Paige and Rusev for winning the Rumbles. I've never been correct, so we'll see.

Happy Rusev Day!

I hope he wins the tag team championships with English at the Rumble.

I would like Paige to win the women's Rumble.

I think Balor or Nakamura will win the Rumble.

2 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Dude don’t even joke about that! Well he is going over Brock at Mania, so maybe. 

I think Reigns over Brock at Mania as sub-main event to AJ-Nakamura seems like the most likely scenario, with Shin winning the RR and Roman getting in through some other way. 

I’m pretty sure Roman’s going over Brock. Meltzer said with confidence around Mania 31 the next four Manias would be about Roman. And Kane is only in the match with Brock and Braun to eat the pin because they want to keep Braun strong.

31. Roman v Brock, Rollins cashed in. 

32. Roman v HHH, Roman won  

33. Roman retired(?) Undertaker. 

Reigns vs. Lesnar is happening. Fans buy tickets because it's Mania anyway, so until the fans stop buying tickets don't expect a great "wrestling" show.

Supposedly people want A.J. vs. Nakamura at Mania including A.J. himself. Meltz said he doesn't know but heard Cena.

As for the biggest show of 2018 coming up soon :P. Starting to get worried about this Jericho/Omega match. It's great for press coverage, but I don't think Jericho's capable of having the kind of match that's expected 2nd from top at a Jan 4th show in 2017 and a hardcore trash match don't really work well there these days.

With Tanahashi injured and question marks over what kind of match he can do with White, Suzuki/Goto not having a great history of doing great matches with each other and Ibushi wrestling Cody instead of Omega along with no Ishii singles match or Shibata... it feels like it's up to Okada/Naito to have a 6 star match. It'll still be a good show, but it's going to have a hard time on paper competing with the last few years.

Edited by AtariLegend

Just a reminder that Wrestle Kingdom is tomorrow morning, if you're off work. It's a long show.

Pre-show (with New Japan Rumble, with guest appearances) is around 7:AM GMT and the main show at 8:AM. The show generally goes over 5 hours.

Some select previous show highlights down the decades;

Spoiler

Edited by AtariLegend

A few random thoughts on the show;

Spoiler

It was a great show, but not in the same way the previous few years were.

Naito/Okada was great, but I was shocked by the finish. Not sure it was a good idea. Naito was super over and the biggest babyface the company has in Japan, if Naito doesn't beat Okada then who? 

Jericho/Omega was good and one of the better Jericho matches I've seen in years, but it felt more WWE street-fight than NJPW. Ibushi/Cody was better than expected as well, one of Cody's better efforts.

I'm still in the boat that I'd have preferred Omega/Ibushi on this show.

Looking forward to New Year's Dash tomorrow (NJPW version of the RAW after Wrestlemania). It's a show with various multi-man tag matches, but it's also where major angles (a rarity in NJPW) tend to happen. It's the last time we'll probably see WWE bound War Machine at least.

Edited by AtariLegend

4 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

A few random thoughts on the show;

Reveal hidden contents

It was a great show, but not in the same way the previous few years were.

Naito/Okada was great, but I was shocked by the finish. Not sure it was a good idea. Naito was super over and the biggest babyface the company has in Japan, if Naito doesn't beat Okada then who? 

Jericho/Omega was good and one of the better Jericho matches I've seen in years, but it felt more WWE street-fight than NJPW. Ibushi/Cody was better than expected as well, one of Cody's better efforts.

I'm still in the boat that I'd have preferred Omega/Ibushi on this show.

Looking forward to New Year's Dash tomorrow (NJPW version of the RAW after Wrestlemania). It's a show with various multi-man tag matches, but it's also where major angles (a rarity in NJPW) tend to happen. It's the last time we'll probably see WWE bound War Machine at least.

WrestleKingdom was exhausting but in a good way.

Spoiler

The Junior Heavyweight Fatal Four Way was my match of the night.

I'm still in shock about Naito versus Okada.

If you didn't see Wrestle Kingdom yesterday and you're in the US. The AXS version airs on Saturday night in a 3 hour version with Jim Ross/Josh Barnett calling it.

New Year's Dash today is at 9:30 AM.

-edit-

For those that didn't see it. It looks like a few matches were set-up;

Tanahashi/Suzuki, Ospreay/Takashashi and Naito/Jericho for some point later in the year. All 3 should be great.

Also another angle where they teased the break-up of the Bullet Club. Omega saved Ibushi from a beat down by Cody and the rest of Bullet Club. They aren't doing Omega/Cody yet though, it looks like we're getting Omega/Switchblade first. Perhaps Omega/Cody at Long Beach (just a guess). 

Since the G-1 Finals this year will be in Bukodan Hall instead of Sumo Hall, it wouldn't be a surprise if that's where the inevitable Ibushi/Omega match happens. Though Omega claims Ibushi is banned from Bukodan Hall after their last match years ago (pre-NJPW).

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1