Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

Not too happy about the Bryan thing. It's obviously, because they knew he was going to walk with his contract coming up in a few months.

Bryan's one of my favorites, that why I'd have preferred to see him headlining the Tokyo Dome or Bukodan Hall. Now what we're going to get at best is Bryan playing 3rd fiddle to Roman Reigns on a TV show I won't be watching.

As for the Hardy thing, meh. I can't watch the show as it is without being embarrassed. It's a bad sign for the future.

Just a reminder Strong Style Evolved is this Sunday. It's live on AXS in the US that night or dodgy Internet stream for the rest of us. Sakura Genesis NJPW's biggest show since Wrestle Kingdom is the following weekend too.

11 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Who's going to win, Tanahashi or Sabre Jr.?

My money is on Sabre going hard at Tana's bum knee and ultimately taking it. I'd also bet that we are on the road to Sabre-Gun. 

And @AtariLegend: I agree that I don't love the Bryan clearance. That said, if they just want to keep him, they could take him off TV and freeze his contract. So it's not *just* to keep him from walking. They coulda done that anyway. 

Edited by axlslash

22 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Not too happy about the Bryan thing. It's obviously, because they knew he was going to walk with his contract coming up in a few months.

Bryan's one of my favorites, that why I'd have preferred to see him headlining the Tokyo Dome or Bukodan Hall. Now what we're going to get at best is Bryan playing 3rd fiddle to Roman Reigns on a TV show I won't be watching.

I'm with ya. I'm hoping they'll at least re-ignite his feud with Miz and/or have him go against Nak or AJ. Those are easily my top 3 Bryan matches I want in WWE. 

Well it looks like they're holding off on almost everything as expected till Sakura Genesis the following weekend. It'll be cool, but it's a little too much like a NJPW B-show card;

Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs. The Young Bucks

IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion Jay White defending against Hangman Page

Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Will Ospreay

Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi

Cody & Marty Scurll vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa

Chuck Taylor & Toru Yano vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Lance Archer

Juice Robinson & David Finlay vs. Hirooki Goto & Gedo

Rocky Romero, Sho & Yoh vs. Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky

Ospreay is replacing Rey Mysterio (who's injured). No Naito vs. Jericho, since the show sold out fast.

Long Beach is getting to see all the stars of NJPW this time and probably a crazy main event. That said, they probably expected a more stacked card. There's an unconfirmed rumor of another US arena show in July the week before the G-1 starts. That seems risky without a stacked card next time and it's doubtful that show would.

As for Sakura Genesis it's Okada vs. Zack Sabre J.r. and likely Suzuki vs. Naito, both of which should be great.

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Well it looks like they're holding off on almost everything as expected till Sakura Genesis the following weekend. It'll be cool, but it's a little too much like a NJPW B-show card;

Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs. The Young Bucks

IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion Jay White defending against Hangman Page

Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Will Ospreay

Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi

Cody & Marty Scurll vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa

Chuck Taylor & Toru Yano vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Lance Archer

Juice Robinson & David Finlay vs. Hirooki Goto & Gedo

Rocky Romero, Sho & Yoh vs. Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky

Ospreay is replacing Rey Mysterio (who's injured). No Naito vs. Jericho, since the show sold out fast.

Long Beach is getting to see all the stars of NJPW this time and probably a crazy main event. That said, they probably expected a more stacked card. There's an unconfirmed rumor of another US arena show in July the week before the G-1 starts. That seems risky without a stacked card next time and it's doubtful that show would.

As for Sakura Genesis it's Okada vs. Zack Sabre J.r. and likely Suzuki vs. Naito, both of which should be great.

Lovers versus Bucks and White vs Page should both be really fun. Chuckie and Yano teaming up is a good call, but I don't like the matchup with KES. I worry that it's gonna be the typical Yano winning a match he has no business winning via hijinks, and they could use a more credible matchup here. 

Cody/Scurll vs GoD has a lot of potential if they take the reigns (pun partially intended) off Tama. Let him murder Cody in the middle of the ring. I desperately want the BTE crew purged from Bullet Club. Not that I don't love BTE, but the slightly-comedic Kenny version of the Club has run its course, and I'd like more of the OG feel. 

It still needed another major singles, but Liger/Ospreay was better than I expected, Suzuki/Sabre vs. Okada/Ishii was very fun and the Bucks vs. Lovers was excellent.

They're doing San Franciso on July 7th at the Cow Palace the week before G-1 starts.

The only real downside tonight was the AXS production missing moves and Josh Barnett being caught saying "you're right JR, they need to get out of the fucking ring" during the first commercial break.

Edited by AtariLegend

NJPW will be back in the US with a G1 special in July. They're running the Cow Palace in SF, which seats over 15,000. So by year's end, we could be looking at NJPW and All In both selling out arenas. When is the last time two non-WWE feds sold out US arenas in one year? You'd have to be looking back to the territory days. A great time to be a wrestling fan. 

We'll see whether All In sells out. Although people do seem to think they'll be able to get Punk. We'll see on that.

Cow Palace doesn't sit over 15K. This is generally the attendance and WWE even at peak inflated crowd sizes; http://www.profightdb.com/locations/united-states/california/san-francisco/cow-palace-113.html

Hopefully NJPW will stack the show. Though I'm not sure what people can expect when it's just before the G-1 and after Dominion. Will people get Okada/Omega IV (since Okada will have broken the title defense by then, probably) or Naito/Jericho? Not sure.

Sakura Genesis this weekend, shockingly doesn't have a strong card. Though they sold out the building well in advance. Zack/Okada will have a long way to go living up to last year's Shibata/Okada which was one of my favorite ever matchs;

If you've never seen it, you should.

What did people think of The Young Bucks vs. Omega/Ibushi?

-edit-

Just seen Sakura Genesis.

Only worth checking out the last 3 matches. Sabre/Okada was good as was Marty/Will where I legit had to walk out of the room, because I thought Ospreay was going to die;

The blood afterwards was shocking. Can't believe it continued further, it felt worse than Shibata which was at the same show last year.

Edited by AtariLegend

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, AtariLegend said:

What did people think of The Young Bucks vs. Omega/Ibushi?

Just seen Sakura Genesis.

Only worth checking out the last 3 matches. Sabre/Okada was good as was Marty/Will where I legit had to walk out of the room, because I thought Ospreay was going to die;

Golden Lovers vs. The Bucks albeit over the top was probably the best tag team match I have seen maybe ever.

I'm fairly new to NJPW and I enjoy NJPW but I tend to wince a few times every other match.

Seriously who's going to beat Okada?

Recent blind item that's alleged to be about WWE's newest alt right, Sandy Hook conspiracy believer;

MONDAY, APRIL 02, 2018

Blind Item #15

Despite just getting her start with this particular company, this A list alliterate celebrity/athlete is known all over the world. She made it part of her deal that she doesn't have to ever work with any people of color.

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Recent blind item that's alleged to be about WWE's newest alt right, Sandy Hook conspiracy believer;

MONDAY, APRIL 02, 2018

Blind Item #15

Despite just getting her start with this particular company, this A list alliterate celebrity/athlete is known all over the world. She made it part of her deal that she doesn't have to ever work with any people of color.

In addition to the fact that blind items tend to be overwhelmingly false, such a contract provision would be pretty blatantly illegal, and WWE's legal team would almost certainly never agree to anything so ludicrous. 

2 hours ago, axlslash said:

In addition to the fact that blind items tend to be overwhelmingly false, such a contract provision would be pretty blatantly illegal, and WWE's legal team would almost certainly never agree to anything so ludicrous. 

They've got welness suspensions correct before, along with the brand extension and Shane's return in recent years correctly before anyone else.

WWE would never agree to anything like this? You do realize this is the same Vince who is Trump's biggest donor and one of his top advisers is Micheal Hayes who's a notorious racist;

freebird-300x177.jpg

Also it's unlikely anyone would ever find out or be able to prove it.

I'm not saying it's true, I'm saying alleged on the blind item. I wouldn't be shocked at all.

Edited by AtariLegend

7 hours ago, moreblack said:

so much blood

Brock knows EXACTLY how to hardway his opponents. Roman looked great with that crimson mask.

Show was solidly average. Not bad workrate-wise, less than satisfying in lots of the payoffs a la Mania 32, but I didn't dislike any of the matches and didn't feel like I'd wasted any time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

Show was solidly average. Not bad workrate-wise, less than satisfying in lots of the payoffs a la Mania 32, but I didn't dislike any of the matches and didn't feel like I'd wasted any time. 

This is how I felt. tbh though I was very disappointed with Nakamura/A.J. It wasn't exactly their Tokyo Dome. Just a standard good match, isn't enough sometimes.

Apparently Brock's flying to Saudia Arabia to face Reigns again. A contract renewal, although for how long who knows? Lesnar's deal for wrestling was supposed to be finished after today. Maybe they think Reigns can finally win though in Saudia Arabia and not be booed?

I'll never forget this Mania main event anyway.

I also think Asuka's streak shouldn't have been ended. Normally when undefeated streaks end in WWE, the person normally goes 50/50 for the rest of their career.

Edited by AtariLegend

12 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

This is how I felt. tbh though I was very disappointed with Nakamura/A.J. It wasn't exactly their Tokyo Dome. Just a standard good match, isn't enough sometimes.

It definitely wasn't more than just a good match, but I'm provisionally OK with that in context. This wasn't the end, it was the beginning. A great match here with a handshake would have been a one-off. But this wasn't the whole story, it was only chapter 1. Was it Omega-Okada? No, clearly not. But the business of the match was AJ winning and Shin turning. And with the right build, Summer Slam or later when they ultimately pay this all off could be that much better.

Also, lol everyone shocked that Shinsuke turned. Only Americans whose understanding of Nakamura started with his Zayn match think of him as this primarily "good guy" persona. Glad to see him introduce a little Chaos this weekend. 

15 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I also think Asuka's streak shouldn't have been ended. Normally when undefeated streaks end in WWE, the person normally goes 50/50 for the rest of their career.

Had to be a big deal, Mania is the biggest place they could do it. Either that or wait another year. Amazing match anyway, they projected big to the whole place. Not everybody can do that. I'm thinking Asuka will win the belt regardless sooner or later, but she didn't need it now. I guess they could also make her into a sort of gatekeeper for the belt. So only if you can get past her can you challenge for the belt.

Edited by moreblack