Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:10 AM, axlslash said:

Depends on what Kenny wants when his contract expires. If he's looking to bounce to WWE, Kenny vs Kota in the Dome is the way to go out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Kenny hasn't beaten Ibushi yet has he? I could see him finally beating Ibushi at WK13 should that be booked.

Could Jay White win the G1 at the first attempt? Has that ever happened before?

6 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Could Jay White win the G1 at the first attempt? Has that ever happened before?

Omega did a few years ago in his first attempt. It was pretty big surprise, so much so that people actually thought Goto was definitely winning even in the final.

Even the hardcores that followed NJPW didn't think there was a chance. So there's always a chance.

The only other people that have done down the decades (I think) are Okada in 2012, Goto in 2008, Chono in 91 (if you only count while it was called the G1), Inoki in 74.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:11 AM, F*ck Fear said:

I cannot even comment on the current WWE product as I haven't watched it in over a year. I imagine however, that it's probably still garbage (which sucks as they have some talented wrestlers under contract).

I've kind of given up on modern wrestling in general, as I agree with old timers on their opinions of lack of selling, story telling, etc.

I find myself watching a lot of classic Ric Flair/NWA era stuff, which I love even more than The Attitude Era, which is what I grew up on.

I agree with the comment on the lack of selling and story telling.  I know wrestling in general has changed over the years, its just the evolution of the business. But wrestling today...wrestlers are so quick to put on flashy movies and most the match as quick as possible to get the crowd to pop. After executing all these high spot moves, whats the payoff? How can a fan be emotionally invested into a match if we see nothing but high spots and what I like to call.."lets do as many moves as possible with in 10-15 minutes" formula. I like watching Lucha Underground for the first season...but midway through the first season...it just got repetitive seeing the same formula all the time...all these high flying spots, these quick moves with in a short time span..granted they do pretty good with selling a formula and adding a story before/after the match...but how is it believable when we see someone jump 20 feet off a scaffold and do a hurricanronia and the wrestler on the receiving end still kicks out at 2...how is it believable seeing someone get round house kicked in the face and still kick out at the 2 count where in this day in age...you watch MMA, someone gets round house kicked in the face, they are out for the count. 

The Fic Flair/Steamboat classics from the NWA/WCW days were just that...classics and loaded with story stelling and selling...you really don't see matches like that anymore in the WWE. I can't really say anything about New Japan as I don't have much time to actually watch it and every now and then, ROH pulls off great matches with good selling/story telling, but then they fall into that category of putting in as many spots as possible to get the crowd to pop. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Best of the luck to the WWE women & their all woman PPV.

Yes, let's prove that women are equal by creating a women only PPV for them. It's the classic modern feminist error. 

Now let's watch WWE build it along the plot of all Highschool Musical movies combined. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, username said:

Yes, let's prove that women are equal by creating a women only PPV for them. It's the classic modern feminist error. 

Now let's watch WWE build it along the plot of all Highschool Musical movies combined. 

The women are equal enough. In fact some of those women (like Hojo, Io, Kana and a few others) that'll be on that show are better wrestlers than most of the men they have under contract. WWE just doesn't happen to be a wrestling promotion. 

Trump's biggest donner isn't doing it for feminism either. It's publicity.

On 7/25/2018 at 3:04 AM, username said:

Then let's get Stardom to do an all men ppv.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:04 AM, username said:

It's not a classic feminist move, it's the company trying to save face for that Greatest Royal Rumble thing in Saudi Arabia.  And they're going back to Saudi Arabia in October for another all men ppv. 

Edited by journey

13 hours ago, moreblack said:

Then let's get Stardom to do an all men ppv.

It'd probably be pretty good.

5 hours ago, journey said:

It's not a classic feminist move, it's the company trying to save face for that Greatest Royal Rumble thing in Saudi Arabia.  And they're going back to Saudi Arabia in October for another all men ppv. 

...And for Stephanie like her mother probably wanting to make herself look good for a a future failed run at a political office like her mother.

11 hours ago, journey said:

He knows that. He's just stating that they want to do this ppv because it looks like it's a smart move from their stand point. I understand why theyre doing it.  But I know why they're doing it too. The GRR wasn't built the way it is because of against women. They had no control. But let's do this "all women's ppv to make it sound like we're being so forward thinking. " 

Let's admit it, this wouldn't happen if the GRR didn't happen. It's cool they're doing it and all. But it's also just stupid. 

Also. I hope heel Orton really bust up everyone and hopefully it'll make Nakamura fight like a devil. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rest in peace to all those that died recently.

On August 12, 2018 at 1:04 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:
  Hide contents

Congratulations Tanahashi.

The final was incredible. As was Ibushi/Omega, Omega/Ishii and Tana/Okada. Wrestle Kingdom's going to be crazy next year. I hope it's not Omega's swan song.

• Like 1

On 19-8-2018 at 2:56 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

TakeOver Brooklyn IV was fantastic.

Agreed. 

Very mixed feelings about SummerSlam though.... I liked Rollins-Ziggler, AJ-Joe and Miz-Bryan. The latter two feel like they're just starting too. The Charlotte-Becky-Carmella match was better than expected. But other than that? Terrible main event. Not sure who cared less, the crowd or the participants. They made Braun look shit too. The rest of the card... meh... 

Edited by username

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 5:54 AM, moreblack said:

Those never disappoint. 

If I had  to nit-pick I'd say Dream/EC3 was the weakest match. 

The next one is War Games II right?

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, username said:

Agreed. 

Very mixed feelings about SummerSlam though.

It was better than I was expecting.

Owens getting squashed, The Bellas hugging Rousey, Elias's guitar problem, Balor using the demon just to beat Corbin irritated me.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, moreblack said:

SS died with the last 2 matches. Wow. The pop for Becky's heel turn was great.

I was disappointed when Becky lost again. I hope she wins the big one soon.

I thought Reigns & Lesnar should have been better.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004