Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

1 minute ago, F*ck Fear said:

So far, that card doesn't really appeal to me.

Same here. We've had Jericho-Omega and it just wasn't on par with some of Omega's other matches. It was still good, but we've seen it. 

So far I'd probably be most interested in Nevilla-Page

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Down on the last year of his run tbh. Had a fantastic G1, started that run as champion with the Okada match ending with the Tana one. However he acted like such a child in interviews. All those Elite matches like the triple threat and Cody matches were low points. Feels like they were building towards a big omega/ibushi match, that we'll never see in NJPW and that they held back Naito (who was their most popular star in Japan, by having him do very little for the Omega story) to the extent that it's cooled off abit. Abit of NJPW's fault too.

I don't think Cody and The Young Bucks make any difference to NJPW. However they invested alot in the Omega story for it to end abruptly.

Scrull's contract is up in April as is A.J. Styles. I assume there's no chance they get Lesnar (which would be a bad fit) and would be surprised by Styles, but Scrull presumably is definitely headed there.

Hope Devitt and Nakamura head back to NJPW.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/kenny-omegas-aew-contract-details-revealed

Apparently Kenny can still perform for njpw whenever he wants. 

"I have it specifically written in my contract that I can go anytime I want and appear for New Japan Pro Wrestling," Kenny revealed.

He also stated that his All Elite deal runs for the next four years. He did not mention whether the New Japan stipulation applies for other independent bookings, but given the specificity, we would presume not.

6 minutes ago, username said:

http://whatculture.com/wwe/kenny-omegas-aew-contract-details-revealed

Apparently Kenny can still perform for njpw whenever he wants. 

"I have it specifically written in my contract that I can go anytime I want and appear for New Japan Pro Wrestling," Kenny revealed.

He also stated that his All Elite deal runs for the next four years. He did not mention whether the New Japan stipulation applies for other independent bookings, but given the specificity, we would presume not.

I listended to the Observer interview. Tbh he came across as insecure and harbouring resentment towards the people that ran it and Tana for exampled. Seemed to think he was a bigger draw in NJPW than Okada/Tana in Japan and that he didn't like the bookings. Also seemed to think that triple threat with Cody was what people wanted to see from a NJPW main event. 

AEW is taking Omega and presumably Ibushi, along with a dozen other talent. Why would NJPW go out of their way for AEW or use Omega on a handful of dates a year, when they've made themselves a direct competitor for their talent? 

If the Beretta situation or the AAA relationship didn't do it, then losing Ibushi surely does. No announcement on Ibushi, but Omega made it sound like it was happening and even talked about doing their big match in a bigger building for AEW in the US. 

36 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

I listended to the Observer interview. Tbh he came across as insecure and harbouring resentment towards the people that ran it and Tana for exampled. Seemed to think he was a bigger draw in NJPW than Okada/Tana in Japan and that he didn't like the bookings. Also seemed to think that triple threat with Cody was what people wanted to see from a NJPW main event. 

AEW is taking Omega and presumably Ibushi, along with a dozen other talent. Why would NJPW go out of their way for AEW or use Omega on a handful of dates a year, when they've made themselves a direct competitor for their talent? 

If the Beretta situation or the AAA relationship didn't do it, then losing Ibushi surely does. No announcement on Ibushi, but Omega made it sound like it was happening and even talked about doing their big match in a bigger building for AEW in the US. 

So he was pretty much being an arrogant cunt? 

So they had Jay White win the title. I know people were suspecting it might happen, but it's a surprise that it actually did.

So the Madison Square Garden show's main event; it looks like it's him defending against the winner of the New Japan Cup (possibly Okada, Naito or Ibushi - with the former being the most likely).

Oh and Ibushi thankfully popped up half way through the show and said he's staying in New Japan and not going anywhere. Wouldn't be surprised if he does a few dates for AEW though, but fortunately he's not leaving. Would have been a big loss.

Edited by AtariLegend

8 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Becky Lynch out of Mania, or is it part of the story?

The one reason for me to even watch the show, is up in the air! :lol:

All part of the show. Vince and Charlotte have nuclear heat now. Look for Becky to beat up Vince soon, then have to beat Steph to re-earn her place in the match. She will. It will be a triple threat, with all the the heat they just created added to what Becky and Ronda already had. When Becky wins, WM will go off the air with a crowd rocking and roaring like never before. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, axlslash said:

All part of the show. Vince and Charlotte have nuclear heat now. Look for Becky to beat up Vince soon, then have to beat Steph to re-earn her place in the match. She will. It will be a triple threat, with all the the heat they just created added to what Becky and Ronda already had. When Becky wins, WM will go off the air with a crowd rocking and roaring like never before. 

I'm just wondering if they'll opt for the triple threat, or copy the WM30 plan andhave Becky beat Charlotte in the opening match to earn the 1 on 1 with Ronda. 

It's depressing that Daniel Bryan and Becky Lynch are the only two interesting things in WWE right now. Does anybody even care about Seth vs Brock? 

Edited by username

31 minutes ago, username said:

Does anybody even care about Seth vs Brock? 

I sure as hell don't.

Lesnar has lost his charm. I was into what he was doing when he first made his return in 2012, but the act has gone stale.

I want to like Rollins, but the guy has hurt too many other wrestlers. 

4 hours ago, username said:

It's depressing that Daniel Bryan and Becky Lynch are the only two interesting things in WWE right now. 

That's two more than we had before. And you still get show stealing matches from Seth, Finn, Sasha, Charlott and AJ depending on the night.

Edited by moreblack

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

And you still get show stealing matches from Seth, Finn, Sasha, Charlott and AJ depending on the night.

You can add Joe to that list as well. But in fairness, their booking is shit. Aside from maybe Charlotte. 

Edited by username

11 hours ago, moreblack said:

They also haven't found what to do with Drew in the ring effectively but he was quality the whole time he had matches in the indies before NXT

Drew is already losing steam due to WWE's tradmark half-assed pushes and aimless booking. Sometimes it feels like they're just throwing darts at a board to decide this week's direction for a character. Like you said, there's a ton of quality wrestlers. AJ, Joe, Balor, Drew, KO, Zayn, Nak, Seth, Charlotte, Sasha... Any of those can deliver a great match. But in the bigger picture WWE isn't really pulling the trigger on anything. It's frustrating. Plus they have this thing that when a wrestler commits the gavest of sins, getting over on their own, they kill whatever he or she is doing. 

I'm not that big a fan of Jay White, but at least NJPW is being consistent in their direction. 

Edited by username

White has won me over completely since last year's G-1 Special and all that followed. He's a great heel and really made the character worked, improved his matches dramatically since he returned from excursion. Really loved Okada/White at Wrestle Kingdom too.

Going to be fascinating to see who he defends against at MSG. It wouldn't be shocking if it was White/Naito or White/Ibushi (who has apparently signed a multi-year deal) instead of White/Okada.

However on WWE; Personally never seen the strong matches Drew has had. Honestly as great as AJ, Bryan and Nakamura are... their big matches have been underwhelming. I literally almost fell asleep during that Bryan/AJ match at the rumble and it wasn't because it was 3:AM. The AJ/Nakamura matches were not that good and it felt like two completely different wrestler than the ones that had that Wrestle Kingdom match. A.J./Steen wasn't that great either. Nakamura/Seth wasn't that great.

Personally apart from his matches with Cena, I thought AJ's best match was with Brock. Bryan too recently.

WWE just isn't a work rate promotion and the crowd's wiliness to chant "this is awesome" like the "what" chant, means they'll never have to be.

fyi I did like Ronda/Sasha recently. Felt it ended to short though.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 4 weeks later...

They just announced the full card for the Madison Square Garden show;

• Jay White vs. Kazuchika Okada - IWGP Heavyweight Championship
  • Jay Lethal vs. Marty Scurll vs. Matt Taven - ROH World Championship (Ladder Match)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi - IWGP Intercontinental Championship
  • Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - RevPro British Heavyweight Championship
  • Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. PCO & Brody King vs. The Briscoes vs. EVIL & SANADA - IWGP Tag Team Championship/ROH Tag Team Championship
  • Taiji Ishimori vs. Dragon Lee vs. Bandido - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
  • Bully Ray vs. Mystery Opponent (New York City Street Fight Open Challenge)
  • Mayu Iwatani vs. Kelly Klein - Women of Honor World Championship
  • Rush vs. Dalton Castle
  • Will Ospreay vs. Jeff Cobb - NEVER Openweight Championship/ROH TV Championship
  • 30-entrant Honor Rumble Match (With Jushin Thunder Liger ect.)

Going to be a really great show.

Edited by AtariLegend

On 27/02/2019 at 4:25 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

Quick question for UK fans I haven't followed WWE/WWF for fuckin' ages I think me calling it WWF shows how long.

Is every PPV event now chargeable in the UK?

Back in my day they where all free on Sky Sports?

Every ppv is on sky box office £20 an event.