Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

On 05/10/2019 at 2:22 PM, AtariLegend said:

Building to the biggest show of the year.

WWE Bad Blood Money in Saudia Arabia.

Crown Jewel II: Blood Money Bugaloo on Halloween too.

On 08/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, username said:

Fucking hell, Hell In A Cell was a trainwreck. 

The whole show or just the main event?

22 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Crown Jewel II: Blood Money Bugaloo on Halloween too.

The whole show or just the main event?

Becky vs sasha was pretty good. Bryan and Roman vs Harper and Rowan as well. A lot fell flat imo because it was unannounced, felt random and didnt get much time. 

7 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

yeah hell in a cell was an amazing advert for AEW, worst finish to a ppv I can recall.

Chants of Bullshit, refund, & AEW.

The fan video's of the crowd chanting REFUND as they were leaving the arena were brutal. And deserved. 

On 10/5/2019 at 6:26 AM, Shacklermyrye said:

I liked Aew not a bad first episode

AEW has gotten me back into wrestling (my whole family as a matter of fact). I stopped watching WWE around 2001/2 or so, and never really looked back. I loved the WWF in the 80s and 90s and WCW of course, but ever since Vince bought WCW it's just been blah imo. I tried to watch the big Smackdown premier on Fox last week and thought it was complete garbage, it showcased everything WRONG with the WWE imo. 

AEW isnt perfect, and they have a LONG way to go, but I'm enjoying wrestling again, which I haven't done in 15 plus years. Honestly im not even going to try and watch the WWE until they get their crap together. For me (and my family) we want a little bit of the bubbly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

AEW has gotten me back into wrestling (my whole family as a matter of fact). I stopped watching WWE around 2001/2 or so, and never really looked back. I loved the WWF in the 80s and 90s and WCW of course, but ever since Vince bought WCW it's just been blah imo. I tried to watch the big Smackdown premier on Fox last week and thought it was complete garbage, it showcased everything WRONG with the WWE imo. 

AEW isnt perfect, and they have a LONG way to go, but I'm enjoying wrestling again, which I haven't done in 15 plus years. Honestly im not even going to try and watch the WWE until they get their crap together. For me (and my family) we want a little bit of the bubbly.

AEW reminds me of pre-Hogan TNA which in turn reminded me of mid-90's WCW. Far from perfect, but very much fun to watch. And without the usual WWE gripes. That's a good thing. 

22 hours ago, username said:

A lot fell flat imo because it was unannounced, felt random and didnt get much time. 

Absolutely. There was some good wrestling but it felt like it was just...there.

21 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

yeah hell in a cell was an amazing advert for AEW, worst finish to a ppv I can recall.

My friend and I were convinced they wouldn't end another Hell In A Cell match with a non finish. How wrong we were.

That's twice in two years they've done it now.

Haven't watched AEW, NXTUK or NXT yet.

4 hours ago, username said:

AEW reminds me of pre-Hogan TNA which in turn reminded me of mid-90's WCW. Far from perfect, but very much fun to watch. And without the usual WWE gripes. That's a good thing. 

I never really watched TNA, beyond in passing a couple of times. It just seemed like wannabe WCW too much imo, right down to which wrestlers they had, etc. AEW (while giving me WCW vibes), is a new thing, and I like that. I dont need to watch Hogan, Sting, Hall and Nash anymore (which is what TNA was), I need new people to be interested in. I also REALLY like how they are keeping win/loss records, and I heard they are also keeping track of advanced analytics (wins by pin/submission, how effective finishing moves are, etc). I think that's a really good idea. 

If Hogan, Nash, Hall, etc had went to TNA right after WCW ended, then that would have worked imo. They just waited too long and the magic was gone. Really though, what killed wrestling for me was how BAD the WWE botched their WCW takeover. I think Vince was afraid to admit that WCW had really given them the business, and us such he only really gave Booker and perhaps Goldberg any real push. Sure he gave Hogan some shine (but he was ALWAYS a WWF guy anyways, so it wasnt the same). He completely killed DDP (which was stupid), and they ruined the NWO. 

When I was watching wrestling in 96, 97, 98 I DREAMED about seeing the NWO come beat up The Rock or spray paint NWO on Vince McMahon's back. Or see Stone Cold vs Goldberg. That's the kind of stuff that would have been really cool and kept wrestling going strong through the 2000s. But instead Vince killed it all... I watched it for a few episodes just to see how it was going to go, and severely dissapointed. So much so, that I never came back, I could care less about Cena or anything from that era. 

I genuinely happy that AEW is actually providing solid, entertaining wrestling again. 

15 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Apparently njpw have bought stardom.

Very interesting, it was rumoured for a bit. Supposedly njpw's parent company had been putting cash into Stardom behind the scenes since last year.

So Stardom is the defacto NJPW women's wrestling.

I heard WWE put in an offer too, trying to turn it into WWE Japan's women's division. Thankfully that didn't happen. 

On 10/12/2019 at 3:40 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

This week went like this for me;

Dynamite > NXT > RAW > SMACKDOWN.

Wouldn't that be pretty much every week?

I honestly dont know how people can still stomach raw and smackdown anymore, they are just garbage. I'm not as versed in wrestling as some (I've only ever really watched WWF/E, WCW, and now AEW). Although I have tried to give Ring of honor and Impact a shot recently. Which ROH is ok I guess and I thought Impact was BAD, even though it was a Rob Van Dam match I watched. 

Anyways my point is, WWE is just plain terrible currently. Which I was a WWF kid, so it's not like I dont like them or dont have nostalgia for them, but it's just not good. I watched a bunch of old WWF clips on YouTube recently, and they USED to be so much better. I dont know why they get away with (by the fans) for being so bad? 

This is how I rate wrestling programs that I've watched in my lifetime 

1. WCW 96-98 (the start of the NWO until it slowly started killing WCW). They won the Monday Night War for a reason, it was the best wrestling angle ever, period. Nothing that came before or has been seen since had the "magic" that this era had. You probably wont understand it if you didnt live through it, but it was the most real wrestling EVER seemed. 

2. WWF The New Generation era 93-96. This era gets over looked OFTEN imo. Yes it still has a little bit of that WWF cheese going on (but it's better than today), but overall there were a lot of REALLY good wrestling matches going on. Seriously go watch Razor Ramon vs anybody, and tell me that's not miles ahead of modern WWE. Plus you have Brets best, Michael's best, Undertakers best, etc. Really, really well done quality wrestling from this era. 

3. WWF Attitude era 97-02 Most fans would say this is the best era ever. While I agree it was VERY good, the wrestling became secondary to all the other nonsense (which is the way the WWE is now, and it started here, so it gets blame imo). Having said that you still have The Rock and Stone Cold, can't complain there. 

4. WWF classic era 84-92 This was the wrestling of my childhood, and as such I will always love it. Having said that, most of the BIG stars (Hogan and Warriror), their matches have not aged all that well imo. They were great in their time, yes, but not really "great" matches now. 

5. WCW 98-end This era of WCW had some decent and even good moments, but it also has some straight up garbage. The NWO got bloated (too many members), the Wolfpack (while cool), was the beginning of the end imo. WCW lost control of what they were doing, and it killed them. Honestly you could say that the NWO did indeed ended up killing WCW (like they claimed to want to do when it started). It's also hard to find really good matches from this era, which is disappointing. 

6. WCW pre NWO 90-95 They just felt like the WWF minor leagues to me. The only thing they had going for them was Ric Flair imo. I remember seeing a Sting toy in toys r us (probably around 1992) and saying "nobody cares about WCW or Sting." Even after they got Hogan and Macho Man, they still didnt seem legit to me. Not until... See #1

7. WWE Era (After they dropped the F and bought out WCW it all went to crap). I dont blame Vince or WWE with killing WCW or anything like that, but I DO blame them for how they handled it. It could have been the best thing EVER in wrestling, instead they botched it. In the process they lost me as a fan, and have yet to get me back. Yes I DO buy the video games from time to time (but that's because I can play as the wrestlers that I like, I very rarely play as new guys). 

It's too early for me to rate AEW (it's only been 3 episodes). But if I were to guess, I'd say 4th or 5th for me, which is pretty good. I'm happy with that, much better than WWE, atleast for me.

18 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Wouldn't that be pretty much every week?

I honestly dont know how people can still stomach raw and smackdown anymore, they are just garbage. I'm not as versed in wrestling as some (I've only ever really watched WWF/E, WCW, and now AEW). Although I have tried to give Ring of honor and Impact a shot recently. Which ROH is ok I guess and I thought Impact was BAD, even though it was a Rob Van Dam match I watched. 

Anyways my point is, WWE is just plain terrible currently. Which I was a WWF kid, so it's not like I dont like them or dont have nostalgia for them, but it's just not good. I watched a bunch of old WWF clips on YouTube recently, and they USED to be so much better. I dont know why they get away with (by the fans) for being so bad? 

This is how I rate wrestling programs that I've watched in my lifetime 

1. WCW 96-98 (the start of the NWO until it slowly started killing WCW). They won the Monday Night War for a reason, it was the best wrestling angle ever, period. Nothing that came before or has been seen since had the "magic" that this era had. You probably wont understand it if you didnt live through it, but it was the most real wrestling EVER seemed. 

2. WWF The New Generation era 93-96. This era gets over looked OFTEN imo. Yes it still has a little bit of that WWF cheese going on (but it's better than today), but overall there were a lot of REALLY good wrestling matches going on. Seriously go watch Razor Ramon vs anybody, and tell me that's not miles ahead of modern WWE. Plus you have Brets best, Michael's best, Undertakers best, etc. Really, really well done quality wrestling from this era. 

3. WWF Attitude era 97-02 Most fans would say this is the best era ever. While I agree it was VERY good, the wrestling became secondary to all the other nonsense (which is the way the WWE is now, and it started here, so it gets blame imo). Having said that you still have The Rock and Stone Cold, can't complain there. 

4. WWF classic era 84-92 This was the wrestling of my childhood, and as such I will always love it. Having said that, most of the BIG stars (Hogan and Warriror), their matches have not aged all that well imo. They were great in their time, yes, but not really "great" matches now. 

5. WCW 98-end This era of WCW had some decent and even good moments, but it also has some straight up garbage. The NWO got bloated (too many members), the Wolfpack (while cool), was the beginning of the end imo. WCW lost control of what they were doing, and it killed them. Honestly you could say that the NWO did indeed ended up killing WCW (like they claimed to want to do when it started). It's also hard to find really good matches from this era, which is disappointing. 

6. WCW pre NWO 90-95 They just felt like the WWF minor leagues to me. The only thing they had going for them was Ric Flair imo. I remember seeing a Sting toy in toys r us (probably around 1992) and saying "nobody cares about WCW or Sting." Even after they got Hogan and Macho Man, they still didnt seem legit to me. Not until... See #1

7. WWE Era (After they dropped the F and bought out WCW it all went to crap). I dont blame Vince or WWE with killing WCW or anything like that, but I DO blame them for how they handled it. It could have been the best thing EVER in wrestling, instead they botched it. In the process they lost me as a fan, and have yet to get me back. Yes I DO buy the video games from time to time (but that's because I can play as the wrestlers that I like, I very rarely play as new guys). 

It's too early for me to rate AEW (it's only been 3 episodes). But if I were to guess, I'd say 4th or 5th for me, which is pretty good. I'm happy with that, much better than WWE, atleast for me.

Perhaps.

Dynamite has been better than NXT for about a fortnight now imo.

RAW & SMACKDOWN have swapped places for me recently too.

RAW's wrestling has been alright and SMACKDOWN has been bland for me so far.

I started watching in 1999. RAW on Friday nights & SMACKDOWN on Saturday mornings. 

Watched WCW Worldwide on Friday afternoons.

I enjoyed the Invasion at the time and I understand why it's not remembered fondly.

1999 to 2005 (maybe) were my peak years.

I watch WWE, NJPW & AEW now.