Post pictures of random stuff you've bought recently

Budweiser

48 minutes ago, soon said:

:lol: If you mean the outside part of the window, the screen is torn and I think there is a black widow spider that calls it home. Gonna wait until it spins its cocoon thing and then torch it. :nervous:

Haha... I'm kidding, I'm just projecting here because I am too lazy to wash my windows, you should see mine!

3 hours ago, soon said:

Picked up some retro audio at a yard sale!

J9k6tst.jpg?1

See I get the appeal of vinyl from a nostalgic point of view but for the life of me I can't understand why anybody would want an old cassette deck. Tape players were shite when they were modern. :lol: 

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Haha... I'm kidding, I'm just projecting here because I am too lazy to wash my windows, you should see mine!

Good, because I will have you know that I'm a rather fastidious homemaker! :lol:

26 minutes ago, Dazey said:

See I get the appeal of vinyl from a nostalgic point of view but for the life of me I can't understand why anybody would want an old cassette deck. Tape players were shite when they were modern. :lol: 

Um, please - do you even know how cool I look with that? :lol: And I love that squeeeeeeeee sound that they make at the start of the tape :headbang: It's a nice warm sound and it kept shit outta land fills.

I like vinyl for the broader stereo spectrum personally :P:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, EvanG said:

Cassette decks are nostalgic for the 80's and 90's kids. I have many cassette tapes lying around with recorded stuff on them from back in the day, for that reason alone I hold on to a cassette deck.

I was born in 79 so I grew up in that era. My first Hi-Fi was something a bit like this. :lol: 

23ab964e43b816474084f2d27852d67b.jpg

In fact I think it was exactly this one. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

It's a hipster thing.

Alternatively, so as to not be listened on by the Government.

Alternatively, can run on batteries and hence better when off the grid.

Or for after the Apocalypse.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I was born in 79 so I grew up in that era. My first Hi-Fi was something a bit like this. :lol: 

23ab964e43b816474084f2d27852d67b.jpg

In fact I think it was exactly this one. :lol: 

My sister had one of those, she's about the same age. I'm a little bit younger so I got the one with double cassette deck plus a CD player on top, but I still needed the cassette decks for my tapes.

I never had a proper tape player even until I was 15 and could buy one for myself, just had shitty old walkmans before that.  I think there was some old kitchen morphy richards tape radio thing knocking about at some point.  Not a lot of music lovers in my family.  Never had a CD player that weren’t a walkman type until 99 or 00 when my brother got this big fuck off Technics hi-fi, i loved that thing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Kept a bunch more retro audio from landfill. And this bright yellow walkman is a powerful chick magnet :headbang:

Zk7AWrD.jpg?2

I have to admit that I wasnt sure that the Apple earbuds would be compatible :shrugs::lol: 

So much warmer than MP3

Yyh6aPb.jpg?1

The box of cassettes I bought also came with a copy of GNR Lies, Metallica (Black), STP debut, Waynes World Soundtrack, Bon Jovi Crossroads, a "how to budget" tape from Alabamas Gov. and a few blank tapes still in plastic wrap.

The box also included home recordings of someones band... yeah they even recorded interviews with one another, and took it very seriously. :smiley-confused2::wacko::lol:

0iE8R4V.jpg

Look at this neat cassette tray. Took me a second to figure this out - how each compartment can hold either cases or just tapes 

4 hours ago, soon said:

The box of cassettes I bought also came with a copy of GNR Lies, Metallica (Black), STP debut, Waynes World Soundtrack, Bon Jovi Crossroads, a "how to budget" tape from Alabamas Gov. and a few blank tapes still in plastic wrap.

The box also included home recordings of someones band... yeah they even recorded interviews with one another, and took it very seriously. :smiley-confused2::wacko::lol:

0iE8R4V.jpg

Look at this neat cassette tray. Took me a second to figure this out - how each compartment can hold either cases or just tapes 

Wash your windows.

Also, does that Wayne's World tape have the song Sikamikanico by the RHCP on it? They played that song for the first time live just the other day and I had never heard it before, apparently it was on the Wayne's World soundtrack.

Edited by EvanG

4 hours ago, soon said:

:lol: If you didn't know that, you're not old enough!

I wonder if people who actually had to make do with cassettes find them great too. I know I don't. I don't miss them. I would just like to be able to play my old tapes again, even just once for old times sake, but I tried my old deck and it doesn't work anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely the worst of the three formats with no redeeming qualities really. Vinyl is still the best in sound and presentation. Compact Discs are weaker on both fronts but are easier and more convenient pertaining to storage space. Both vinyl and CDs are durable if they're handled correctly - vinyl more high-maintenance. Cassettes however possess the weakest sound, packaging and could very well chew up in your tape recorder on the first playing!

Make sure you have a pencil soon. You'll need it!

Congratulations though on your copy of Trans, surely the strangest album Neil Young recorded.

Edited by DieselDaisy

14 hours ago, EvanG said:

Wash your windows.

Also, does that Wayne's World tape have the song Sikamikanico by the RHCP on it? They played that song for the first time live just the other day and I had never heard it before, apparently it was on the Wayne's World soundtrack.

Never washing those windows, you've got me sold and that saving the birds ethos!

It does have that track and its a jam!! Never heard it before either.

242d21p.jpg?1

Looking forward to discovering who some of these other tracks are by too.

• GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, EvanG said:

Wash your windows.

He's stuffed little bits of paper in the tabs to tape over the fuckers, old school methodology there.

14 hours ago, Lio said:

:lol: If you didn't know that, you're not old enough!

I wonder if people who actually had to make do with cassettes find them great too. I know I don't. I don't miss them. I would just like to be able to play my old tapes again, even just once for old times sake, but I tried my old deck and it doesn't work anymore.

:lol:

If you still got the tapes maybe get a player? We'll be the cool kids with the cassette players, lol! The ones Ive bought have been for the price of a loaf of bread, maybe worth it for one last listen?

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Definitely the worst of the three formats with no redeeming qualities really. Vinyl is still the best in sound and presentation. Compact Discs are weaker on both fronts but are easier and more convenient pertaining to storage space. Both vinyl and CDs are durable if they're handled correctly - vinyl more high-maintenance. Cassettes however possess the weakest sound, packaging and could very well chew up in your tape recorder on the first playing!

Make sure you have a pencil soon. You'll need it!

Congratulations though on your copy of Trans, surely the strangest album Neil Young recorded.

To me the 4th format is MP3 and I loathe MP3s. Some are just jarring and painful while others simply lack dynamic. For portable music Im enjoying cassette so far - warmer, realer. But you are right and I should report back after having to deal with a spool of twisted tape on the LRT at rush hour, haha.

Something about Trans on cassette just seems 'right.' 

1 hour ago, soon said:

To me the 4th format is MP3 and I loathe MP3s. Some are just jarring and painful while others simply lack dynamic. For portable music Im enjoying cassette so far - warmer, realer. But you are right and I should report back after having to deal with a spool of twisted tape on the LRT at rush hour, haha.

Something about Trans on cassette just seems 'right.' 

Wrong person to discuss all this as I don't listen to MP3s except when investigating music, and I have a strange phobia to listening to music outside: I had a Walkman when I was a child but didn't use that much either. I actually have an IPod but only use it for linguistics audio courses and such like. 

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Young uns 'll never understand this. :lol: 

27W3227-Kmdm5yQLq1e_HqO_zo-xwBr5IHQFSC3_

This mere auxiliary verb,

10 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

The worst thing about cds was when those spindly little plastic bits in the middle of the case it fitted onto used to snap off and get under the CD and scratch it.

produced an effect in me that can only be summarised by the following,

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Wrong person to discuss all this as I don't listen to MP3s except when investigating music, and I have a strange phobia to listening to music outside: I had a Walkman when I was a child but didn't use that much either. I actually have an IPod but only use it for linguistics audio courses and such like. 

I have the strangest sense that you have passed your phobia of listening to music outside on to me :wow::lol:. Oh well, cant really show-off my walkman in this cold and snow anyways.

As Im sure you know, Neil Young agrees with me about MP3 being shit. He has strong opinions on it! And Im sure that the only linguist that Im familiar with, Chomsky, would disapprove of the neoliberal imposition of MP3.

53 minutes ago, soon said:

I have the strangest sense that you have passed your phobia of listening to music outside on to me :wow::lol:. Oh well, cant really show-off my walkman in this cold and snow anyways.

As Im sure you know, Neil Young agrees with me about MP3 being shit. He has strong opinions on it! And Im sure that the only linguist that Im familiar with, Chomsky, would disapprove of the neoliberal imposition of MP3.

Have you heard of streaming music from the Internet? Or maybe I am stupid and it's mp3's that are streamed? :lol: