Post pictures of random stuff you've bought recently

Budweiser

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Have you heard of streaming music from the Internet? Or maybe I am stupid and it's mp3's that are streamed? :lol:

Haha, I dont use any streaming services. Do you use any streaming services? Maybe I mean 'MP3 and all low res formats.'

As far as I know they arent often MP3 but they also arent nearly as high resolution as I prefer. If you download from Spotify it will offer an MP3, I believe. I think a lot of the low res streaming services offer different formats to different devices, including sometimes MP3.

The songs I download on my computer or phone is MP3 - like if I put in a CD it will convert to MP3. The leaks, as I heard them, were MP3s. iTunes has upgraded but is still shitty sounding.

Speaking of Neil Young though, he has a a high resolution streaming service, like Tidal (which is also artist-owned). Both are more expensive and require more available bandwidth (to get the hi res). So if I spent more dough to up my phone data significantly and paid for a premium streaming service then I could hear those libraries in hi res. Then Id have to buy high res headphones to make that all worth it. Or $5 gets me a nice and warm, analog, pre-loudness-wars collection of classic rock and a chick magnet walkman :headbang:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/22/15394224/neil-young-high-quality-streaming-music-service-xstream-pono

Edited by soon

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Haha, I dont use any streaming services. Do you use any streaming services?

As far as I know they arent often MP3 but they also arent nearly as high resolution as I prefer. If you download from Spotify it will offer an MP3, I believe. I think a lot of the low res streaming services offer different formats to different devices, including sometimes MP3.

The songs I download on my computer or phone is MP3 - like if I put in a CD it will convert to MP3. The leaks, as I heard them, were MP3s. iTunes has upgraded but is still shitty sounding.

Speaking of Neil Young though, he has a a high resolution streaming service, like Tidal (which is also artist-owned). Both are more expensive and require more available bandwidth (to get the hi res). So if I spent more dough to up my phone data significantly and paid for a premium streaming service then I could hear those libraries in hi res. Then Id have to buy high res headphones to make that all worth it. Or $5 gets me a nice and warm, analog, pre-loudness-wars collection of classic rock and a chick magnet walkman :headbang:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/22/15394224/neil-young-high-quality-streaming-music-service-xstream-pono

Neil Young loses me a bit on his audiophile arguments but he is certainly very passionate about it. Created his own format/player - he is very technologically minded - called Pono; it doesn't seem to have been successful,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pono_(digital_music_service)

It is all a bit above me. My eyes glaze over when he discusses it in his autobiography. I still use compact discs for crying out loud; I just can't be arsed to change, and like some sort of packaging. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

Haha, I dont use any streaming services. Do you use any streaming services? Maybe I mean 'MP3 and all low res formats.'

I am always late to technological innovations and started streaming music just a few months ago. And I still haven't heard a single podcast. And the streaming was my mostly for my kids, because that is how kids discover and explore music these days. So I got a Spotify Family subscription. It is actually quite fantastic. So much music that I can access anytime. And great for finding new music. 

But I still have hard drives of bootlegs in my safe and winamp in my laptop. Hard-earned rarities that will never end up stream services. 

I have been looking for a turntable lately, though. One of my rare memories from childhood is listening to old vinyl singles on my grandma's turntable. It was one of those glorious machines where you could put a stack of vinyls on top of the turntable and it would drop one after the other down to play. It was dozens of Elvis, Beatles, doo-wop, soul, jazz... Just wondrous. I would sit mesmerised and listen to the scratchy, muffled music while watching the machinery do its thing. I inherited all the singles and now I am looking for one of these classic turntables. Then I am going to listen and just reminisce about simples more innocent days. 

I did buy a turntable recently, though, but one that I can connect to my computer to convert vinyls to mp3. I just it to preserve rare GN'R interviews that I have on vinyl. 

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Neil Young loses me a bit on his audiophile arguments but he is certainly very passionate about it. Created his own format/player - he is very technologically minded - called Pono; it doesn't seem to have been successful,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pono_(digital_music_service)

It is all a bit above me. My eyes glaze over when he discusses it in his autobiography. I still use compact discs for crying out loud; I just can't be arsed to change, and like some sort of packaging. 

I agree wholeheartedly! 

And I do miss the packaging. I really enjoyed reading absolutely everything on the covers of my favorite vinyls while listening to the music. The lyrics, the credits… just bliss.

16 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am always late to technological innovations and started streaming music just a few months ago. And I still haven't heard a single podcast. And the streaming was my mostly for my kids, because that is how kids discover and explore music these days. So I got a Spotify Family subscription. It is actually quite fantastic. So much music that I can access anytime. And great for finding new music. 

But I still have hard drives of bootlegs in my safe and winamp in my laptop. Hard-earned rarities that will never end up stream services. 

I have been looking for a turntable lately, though. One of my rare memories from childhood is listening to old vinyl singles on my grandma's turntable. It was one of those glorious machines where you could put a stack of vinyls on top of the turntable and it would drop one after the other down to play. It was dozens of Elvis, Beatles, doo-wop, soul, jazz... Just wondrous. I would sit mesmerised and listen to the scratchy, muffled music while watching the machinery do its thing. I inherited all the singles and now I am looking for one of these classic turntables. Then I am going to listen and just reminisce about simples more innocent days. 

I did buy a turntable recently, though, but one that I can connect to my computer to convert vinyls to mp3. I just it to preserve rare GN'R interviews that I have on vinyl. 

Id probably stream if I were a parent as well. You dont have time to be your kids DJ on top of everything else. And plus then your kids end up listening to more than just Baby Shark and Let It Go. 

But yeah thats the thing, as you say, the streaming libraries dont have everything one might want.

That converter turntable sounds neat. As does the idea that there are interviews on vinyl... makes sense but sounds weird at the same time. Your grammas player sounds epic. I dont think Ive seen one of those in person and can imagine how captivating it could be, especially for a kid. I hope you can find one. My turntable is rather rudimentary but it goes through a decent rig otherwise. 

Not one podcast?? Hmmm, Comedy Bang Bang is so popular for good reason. Check that out sometime!

42 minutes ago, soon said:

Id probably stream if I were a parent as well. You dont have time to be your kids DJ on top of everything else. And plus then your kids end up listening to more than just Baby Shark and Let It Go. 

But yeah thats the thing, as you say, the streaming libraries dont have everything one might want.

That converter turntable sounds neat. As does the idea that there are interviews on vinyl... makes sense but sounds weird at the same time. Your grammas player sounds epic. I dont think Ive seen one of those in person and can imagine how captivating it could be, especially for a kid. I hope you can find one. My turntable is rather rudimentary but it goes through a decent rig otherwise. 

Not one podcast?? Hmmm, Comedy Bang Bang is so popular for good reason. Check that out sometime!

I never used to listen to radio, either, so the transition to podcasts didn't come naturally to me. I know I am losing out because of my reluctance. It's a stupid thing. 

Yeah, the turntable was incredibly fascinating. And so were the collections of vinyl singles they had. Like all that was good in the 50s to 70s. So much great music. 

Angelique-O, Angelique-O
Your mama got to take you back
Angelique-O, Angelique-O
Teach you all the things you lack

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I never used to listen to radio, either, so the transition to podcasts didn't come naturally to me. I know I am losing out because of my reluctance. It's a stupid thing. 

Yeah, the turntable was incredibly fascinating. And so were the collections of vinyl singles they had. Like all that was good in the 50s to 70s. So much great music. 

Angelique-O, Angelique-O
Your mama got to take you back
Angelique-O, Angelique-O
Teach you all the things you lack

Now Im confused, didnt I just read your post in an other thread where you said you liked the Guns podcast? I am a public radio junkie, myself. 

Those lyrics! Ive got a few vinyl box sets that Readers Digest put out in the 70s and one them is "pop hit of the 50's and 60's" hopefully they will have some of the same jams.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Now Im confused, didnt I just read your post in an other thread where you said you liked the Guns podcast? I am a public radio junkie, myself. 

Those lyrics! Ive got a few vinyl box sets that Readers Digest put out in the 70s and one them is "pop hit of the 50's and 60's" hopefully they will have some of the same jams.

True, I have listened to a few of them but never thought of them as podcasts. Maybe because I heard them on YouTube with accompanying video footage? 

The lyrics are hysterical :lol: Whenever my wife fails at a traditional wife chore I start singing that song. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I agree wholeheartedly! 

And I do miss the packaging. I really enjoyed reading absolutely everything on the covers of my favorite vinyls while listening to the music. The lyrics, the credits… just bliss.

I used to sit on my bed listening to the music whilst reading the endless thank you notes on the Illusions on cassette (yes, you needed an eye glass). There are all these little in-jokes and thank yous to people like Schwarzenegger and Metallica. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I was pouring (poring?) over the lyrics to Appetite on the back of the vinyl cover. Lying in bed miming the words to the music. Trying to figure it out, shocked by the crude language. That's how I learned English. 

Is that why you write American English rather than the Queen's olde boy?

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

True, I have listened to a few of them but never thought of them as podcasts. Maybe because I heard them on YouTube with accompanying video footage? 

I didnt know that it was available on YouTube with visuals. Together we are learning so much about new media :lol:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Been through this before. I do it mostly because American English is more common in my industry. 

It's also what most people grow up with, isn't it? I have met people who have never been to North America but speak with an American accent that will fool most Americans. When you learn English by watching mostly American TV and movies, you sorta take over the accent whether you want to or not, and I guess the same goes for spelling. 

Edited by EvanG

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's also what most people grow up with, isn't it? I have met people who had never been to North America but who speak with an American accent that would fool most Americans. When you learn English by watching mostly American TV and movies, you sorta take over the accent whether you want to or not, and I guess the same goes for spelling. 

But there is a plethora of culture from native English from which to draw upon, and indeed is seen as a ''world'' culture and thoroughly ubiquitous worldwide: Shakespeare, Dickens, Wordsworth and the Romantics. English bands like The Kinks, Floyd, The Who and to a lesser extent The Beatles, also sing in an English idiom. These are some of the biggest bands in the world! Also the ubiquity of English television such as Downton Abbey and Peaky Blinders - to give only modern examples. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's also what most people grow up with, isn't it? I have met people who have never been to North America but speak with an American accent that would fool most Americans. When you learn English by watching mostly American TV and movies, you sorta take over the accent whether you want to or not, and I guess the same goes for spelling. 

This is also true, although I have always been fond on English TV and music. 

At some point I made a conscious decision to write American English professionally, and tried to get rid of anything I knew was British America. Naturally, my English isn't good enough that I succeeded at this, so now I am sure my written English, and my spoken, is a chimera of mostly American but with some revealing British here and there. 

Not that it matters, though, no one is complaining about my English. 

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This is also true, although I have always been fond on English TV and music. 

At some point I made a conscious decision to write American English professionally, and tried to get rid of anything I knew was British America. Naturally, my English isn't good enough that I succeeded at this, so now I am sure my written English, and my spoken, is a chimera of mostly American but with some revealing British here and there. 

Not that it matters, though, no one is complaining about my English. 

That Ole Gunner whatshisface speaks a bit Lanky. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That Ole Gunner whatshisface speaks a bit Lanky. 

Solskjær. But with everybody's favorite football manager it is okay to be informal. Besides, I am very forgiving today. I have to since I am standing guard at an event and have to talk to and help people all the time. A situation that calls for joviality and benevolence. I am practically spilling over with bonhomie. I probably should do this more often. 

What’s "Lanky'? 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Solskjær. But with everybody's favorite football manager it is okay to be informal. Besides, I am very forgiving today. I have to since I am standing guard at an event and have to talk to and help people all the time. A situation that calls for joviality and benevolence. I am practically spilling over with bonhomie. I probably should do this more often. 

What’s "Lanky'? 

Lancashire. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But there is a plethora of culture from native English from which to draw upon, and indeed is seen as a ''world'' culture and thoroughly ubiquitous worldwide: Shakespeare, Dickens, Wordsworth and the Romantics. English bands like The Kinks, Floyd, The Who and to a lesser extent The Beatles, also sing in an English idiom. These are some of the biggest bands in the world!

But only linguistic nuts like yourself care about that. Most people who don't have English as a native language are already happy they are able to communicate in another language. 

I think I use both, depending on what I remember from school where we were probably taught British English. For example I think I write ''colour'', ''favourite'' and ''humour'', which I've been told is not the American spelling, but I also spell words like criticize and apologize the American way if I'm not mistaken, but I honestly don't care whether it's British or American, as long as I get my point across.