Post pictures of random stuff you've bought recently

Budweiser

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But only linguistic nuts like yourself care about that. Most people who don't have English as a native language are already happy they are able to communicate in another language. 

I think I use both, depending on what I remember from school where we were probably taught British English. For example I think I write ''colour'', ''favourite'' and ''humour'', which I've been told is not the American spelling, but I also spell words like criticize and apologize the American way if I'm not mistaken, but I honestly don't care whether it's British or American, as long as I get my point across.

That is not true. A lot of people, not to the manor born, discover English through those ubiquitous items of ''world culture'' I have mentioned. Shakespeare is up there with Homer, Virgil and Dante. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Cannot understand why that would be. Maybe that's what you get when a Sunnmøring (his Norwegian dialect) becomes a Mancunian? 

I think it is fair to summarise he picked it up whilst playing for Man U.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is not true. A lot of people, not to the manor born, discover English through those ubiquitous items of ''world culture'' I have mentioned. Shakespeare is up there with Homer, Virgil and Dante. 

I think it is fair to summarise he picked it up whilst playing for Man U.

After consulting with Google Earth I think that is the obvious explanation and that it wasn't really a conundrum to begin with :lol:

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm sure they do, but I was talking about American vs. British spelling. I doubt most people really care about that, especially people who have English as a second language.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I'm sure they do, but I was talking about American vs. British spelling. I doubt most people really care about that, especially people who have English as a second language.

If you are learning to read and write, besides just speaking, it is infinitely preferable to be proscribed a distinct spelling system.

• 2 weeks later...

Samsung-Galaxy-S10e-Duos-128GB-Prism-Bla

Finally upgraded my phone, my last one was about 5-6 years old and the screen was cracked, and the battery life was almost non-existent. This new one seems alright though, relatively small and and easy to use. Plus I like android phones, my last one was a Samsung too... I'll never buy another iphone (went through 2 of them in 2 years, fuck that).

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Got him for free? :lol: 

He's 6'2 and the one he's wearing is a medium, I'm 6'4 and i got a large cuz they didn't have an XL, hope it fuckin' fits or I'm gonna be proper pissed.  i wouldn't've got it ordinarily but this jacket and me have a history, I've wanted it for about 10 years, it was released back when Gallagher started that label but I was skint at the time so couldn't afford to lay out 330 sheets on a jacket...its the tenth annivesary now and they've released some of the older gear but they've only got it in a large so fuck it, I grabbed one.  They shift pretty quickly too, it'll probably be all sold out by tommorow. 

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

What are they about? Is it a traditional thing? 

Yeah. On December 5th we celebrate Sinterklaas, kinda like Santa Claus. He comes from Spain and brings gifts and a chocolate letter (usually the first letter of your name) is part of it among many things. It’s mostly for the kids, though. I don’t really celebrate it anymore but receiving a chocolate letter is sort of tradition in my family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Yeah. On December 5th we celebrate Sinterklaas, kinda like Santa Claus. He comes from Spain and brings gifts and a chocolate letter (usually the first letter of your name) is part of it among many things. It’s mostly for the kids, though. I don’t really celebrate it anymore but receiving a chocolate letter is sort of tradition in my family.

Zwarte Piet?

Crikey, was this character invented for Justin Trudeau?

10 hours ago, EvanG said:

He comes from Spain?  Why Spain?!  Then again, why the fuckin' North Pole I suppose!

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Whats a bunch of people with cack on their faces got to do with Sinterklaas, God you Dutch are confusing!

Those Pieten..... Zwarte Piet (Black Piet) are our version of santa's little helpers. A lot of people seem to disagree with an elderly white man having a bunch of goofy blackface helpers to do his dirty work. 

Edited by username
  • Haha 1