Post pictures of random stuff you've bought recently

Budweiser

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

I don't really know either, but I do know you'd be on it 😄 

Its funny you should say that cuz I’m 9 pints into the night and theres an early 90s Renault 5 GT Turbo in my drive and I’m debating whether to take it for a spin...and Lacazette just fluffed a sitter..offside though but still should’ve buried it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Good thing for those Frysians and their special cows, since they are famous for producing the great Dutch cheeses. Gouda and Edam alone make y'all legends, not to mention Dutch-Swiss Cheese (theres a canadian swiss as well) and whats sold here as "dutch blue cheese."

Lots of Dutch people come here as dairy farmers since the land is so cheap by comparison. They are allowed to produce raw milk cheeses. I buy some raw Water Buffalo cheese from a woman at the market. Its incredible, maybe the best cheese Ive ever had. Do you have a favourite Dutch/NL cheese?

"It's hard to imagine Holland without its lush green pastures and black-and-white Frisian cows. These have become as much part of the clichéd Dutch identity as clogs, windmills, and tulips. The Dutch have been making cheese since 400 A.D. Nowadays, the Netherlands is the largest exporter of cheese in the world, with a dairy industry valued at over 7.7 billion Euro. This overview is by no means exhaustive but offers a look at the most important types of Dutch kaas (cheese), as well as a few varieties that are worth seeking out."

https://www.thespruceeats.com/guide-to-dutch-cheese-varieties-markets-1128378

I don't have a favourite but I do love cheese, not many days go by that I don't eat it. 

I don't think I have ever been to Friesland, except for passing through it once on my way to one of the Wadden Islands. It's the other side of the country, and I don't really have a desire to go there either... it's more than 3,5 hours on the train to get there and that is too long for dull, flat landscapes and probably typical Dutch towns and cities that I'm too familiar with anyway. Plus the people would probably scare me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Its funny you should say that cuz I’m 9 pints into the night and theres an early 90s Renault 5 GT Turbo in my drive and I’m debating whether to take it for a spin...and Lacazette just fluffed a sitter..offside though but still should’ve buried it.

Now would be a bad time for guns to be legal 😄

2-1 Now your alright, put them keys away.

Edited by spunko12345

19 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't think I have ever been to Friesland, except for passing through it once on my way to one of the Wadden Islands. It's the other side of the country, and I don't really have a desire to go there either... it's more than 3,5 hours on the train to get there and that is too long for dull, flat landscapes and probably typical Dutch towns and cities that I'm too familiar with anyway. Plus the people would probably scare me.

Why would the people scare you? :lol:

Im especially curious because as soon as I read "Friesland" I was reminded how many anabaptists Ive encountered with variations of that for a lot name. Frieslen, Freise, Freese, Friesen, I think others iirc. Many seemed joyless and bookish, they all played classical instruments and seemed to prefer to speak only with their own cousins. Are we talking about the same people maybe? :lol:

25 minutes ago, soon said:

Im especially curious because as soon as I read "Friesland" I was reminded how many anabaptists Ive encountered with variations of that for a lot name. Frieslen, Freise, Freese, Friesen, I think others iirc. Many seemed joyless and bookish, they all played classical instruments and seemed to prefer to speak only with their own cousins. Are we talking about the same people maybe? :lol:

I can't say that I know many personally, but the stereotypes of them are that they are kinda stubborn, stoical, calm, don't express their feelings easily. While people in the south (of the country) are more Burgondish, they celebrate life more with food and drinks and what not. It's the Protestant-Catholic thing basically.

People in the North of the country are taller than people in the rest of the country, it's a well known fact. And it's not like I'm that short, I'm 6'3, but compared to some of those fuckers I'm probably a midget. I used to work with a guy who is 6'7 and he would often go to Groningen and he said that he didn't stand out there because many guys have his height, or are even taller. 

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lio said:

@username is from Friesland.

Friesland is lovely, it's very pretty with lots of picturesque villages and towns and lots of water.

Don't you dare say such horrible things! :o You. Me. Outside. Now. 

I'm from Groningen, not from Jelle-country. ;) That's like saying you're from Wallonia.

The Mrs. however, is Fries. Sure they talk weird and they're all a bunch of nationalists (the inlaws, thankfully not her), but it's a beautiful province, I agree. I love the Wadden, I love Sneek. I love all their lakes and waterways (LOL @ that company in Amsterdam marketing Friesland to tourists as the "Amsterdam Lake District"! What a load of horsemanure) and I do like most of the traditional 11 cities really. 

Edited by username

10 hours ago, EvanG said:

I can't say that I know many personally, but the stereotypes of them are that they are kinda stubborn, stoical, calm, don't express their feelings easily. While people in the south (of the country) are more Burgondish, they celebrate life more with food and drinks and what not. It's the Protestant-Catholic thing basically.

People in the North of the country are taller than people in the rest of the country, it's a well known fact. And it's not like I'm that short, I'm 6'3, but compared to some of those fuckers I'm probably a midget. I used to work with a guy who is 6'7 and he would often go to Groningen and he said that he didn't stand out there because many guys have his height, or are even taller. 

As much as I have to admit that we Groningers are the essence of what you just said, to most foreigners people from the south are also a bit like that. Plus they talk funny. 

"Dan denk ik aan Brabant, want daar brandt nog licht"? Sure, but don't pretend you can't do a 24-hour bar run here in Groningen. ;) 

3 minutes ago, username said:

Don't you dare say such horrible things you monster! :o 

I'm from Groningen, not from Jelle-country. ;) That's like saying you're from Wallonia.

The Mrs. however, is Fries. Sure they talk weird and they're all a bunch of nationalists (the inlaws, thankfully not her), but it's a beautiful province, I agree. I love the Wadden, I love Sneek. I love all their lakes and waterways (LOL @ that company in Amsterdam marketing Friesland to tourists as the "Amsterdam Lake District"! What a load of horsemanure) and I do like most of the traditional 11 cities really. 

Sorry, I suck at geography. To me, the north= Friesland :lol:

3 hours ago, username said:

As much as I have to admit that we Groningers are the essence of what you just said, to most foreigners people from the south are also a bit like that. Plus they talk funny. 

"Dan denk ik aan Brabant, want daar brandt nog licht"? Sure, but don't pretend you can't do a 24-hour bar run here in Groningen. ;) 

Yeah, well, Brabant kinda sucks. I worked in Eindhoven for many years and each time we would go out drinking all the Brabanders tried to keep up with me but failed miserably.

As for speaking funny, at least we don't have a speech disorder!

Ronald Goedemondt said it best when he talks about the hard G. (starts at 0:36)

7 hours ago, Lio said:

@username is from Friesland.

Friesland is lovely, it's very pretty with lots of picturesque villages and towns and lots of water.

Sounds gorgeous and like somewhere worth visiting. And for all I know, my heritage could have connections there. Also, though @EvanG and I used different descriptors for the people I think we are describing the same culture. Amazing to think that those same Peoples are farming here now here in Mennonite communities!

And thats just the Anabaptists, also in my province, just outside of Toronto, there is a farming area called The Holland Marsh, which is prized for its fertile soil. Dutch settlers turned an area of barren soil into the richest, darkest and well 'fragrant' soil around. Many of those working the land to this day are Dutch. Its not all that picturesque per se but one neat thing is that they dont have fences between properties so it looks like one huge farm field.

17 hours ago, EvanG said:

I think these are definitely the descendants that Im talking about then! Too cool how much of the culture is retained (even if for us its not such fun company, lol).

17 hours ago, EvanG said:

I worked wth a Dutch woman and she was one of the shortest adults Ive ever met. I dont think she was even 4ft! So I guess shes definitely from the South!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After 22 years I finally replaced my, by now, less than appealing looking Batman hat (it has seen things... even was worn by The Darkness' Justin Hawkins for a song ;)). Never came across a similar looking one in recent years. This is my third one, lost my first one 1 week after I bought it, during Universal Studios Jurassic ride in Los Angeles. Had to head back to the Warner Brother's Studio store in town to get a replacement. Man, was I mad. 

batKopie.jpg

Can't believe it. It's finally black again. :lol:

• Like 2