It’s So Easy (and other Lies) - Duff McKagan The Autobiography

star

Been reading the book from Duff. I’ve already read the Slash book. Both books are different in many ways.

63 Chapters, and I’m on Chapter 23 already after only a couple of days reading, more off than on. Sure the Chapters are short, but that keeps things interesting.
As I wrote on another thread:
'It starts at the present moment, Duff being a parent, then switches back to his childhood, then Duff's near death experience at the end of the UYI tour, to the moment he leaves home for LA/Hollywood and meets Slash and Adler for the first time. It switches about time wise. It's quite an easy going read. It read's like Duff apparently is, direct, and to the point. Already the Duff story comes across like a guy from a poor family, who had/has family related issues, and someone who hit drugs (and playing instruments) early on, then developed an appetite for booze, beer, vodka, then 9 bottles of wine per day! who's skin was falling apart. Talk about self destructive. I know it's easy to say, but if Duff hadn't quit seattle, and had the chance meeting with, as he puts it, the talented Slash, Duff would have probably ended up a penny-less waster.'
After reaching Chapter 23 a picture formed. Guns N’Roses was over as fast as it began. These guys were in and out of bands all the time. It was normal. Just so happens, the GN’R combo hit the big time, a level of success that surprised them, and maybe something they never dreamed would genuinely happen.
Seems the moment the first cheque showed up, was the being of the end, they went their separate ways. As Duff says in the book, the thing about Axl going on stage during their support role for the Stones, and talking drugs to an the Audience, was in his mind the wrong thing to do. Izzy by this point was booze free and sending in his ideas by tape. Adler was off the planet, Axl was absent, Slash and Duff, on the face of it appear to be the real deal, girls, drugs, drink, various combo’s while always managing to get the work done.
It appears from day one they had issues scrapping enough material together for a release, hence the EP release containing only 4 tracks, 2 of those being covers. Funny how the English picked up on GN’R long before the US.
Given the conditions Appetite was created under, no wonder there will never be another record from Axl like it.
I forgot what his name was now, but Duff mentions the name of the person behind the unreleased track Sentimental Movie. I like this track. And another guy who taught Duff something, he receives credit on It's So Easy.
Edited by star

If you like Duff's book for the info on gnr breakup ou should like OVER THE TOP by Mark Putterford. Very informative on how everything went wrong for gnR...

I get the impression the Putterford book is a collection of quotes pieced together in such a way that.. who knows..

Edited by star

I'm almost done with the book. I've never read a book so fast, ever.

Seem's Duff is the kind of guy who gives what he believes is a 100% to most things. Including quitting booze, drugs, and taking up bike riding, a type of kung-fu, and healthy eating.

G'n'R fans might like to know: (probably old news to some)

A sober, drug free Duff stayed in contact with Axl, and they both went to see the Red Hot Chii Peppers perform. Duff had short hair at that time.

The first efforts made by Gn'R to create something new, was for the film Interview with a Vampire, a cover of the Stones track Sympathy for the Devil. Slash was pissed off, as he was not told about Paul being on the track.

To keep busy, and have some fun the Neurotic Outsiders with Duff, Sorum, Steve Jones (Sex Pistols), John Taylor (Duran Duran) formed. Record companies offered advances of 1 Million, as Duff's says, 4 times more than Gn'R were offered. They were being called a Super-group, which as Duff says, is stupid.

Duff, the lean mean fighting machine, having shifted all the booze related fat.

Edited by star

Axl and Duff would go mountain biking in 1994-1995 together after Duff recovered and talk about GN'R's past, present and future.
Axl and Duff both turned down Slash's Snakepit songs as being too "Southern Rock" for Guns N' Roses, but Duff also sided with Slash on wanting Paul Huge in the band

"Slash and I started to write new stuff with other guitar players added to the mix. This was the first time we'd written without Izzy to bounce ideas off of and to bring ideas of his own
Zakk Wylde, who played with Ozzy Osbourne on and off for years, brought energy and enthusiam that was lacking within Guns at the time.
'We can build on the legacy' he said excitedly, 'We can make something great. Listen to this'
He saw a piano against the wall and sat down and elegantly played it. I had no idea he could play piano at all, much less like this. We recorded a few demos with him, but nothing panned out.
Then Axl wanted to bring in a guy named Paul Huge."

Duff's timeline is a little off here. Sympathy for the Devil was recorded in October 1994, meaning Paul's relationship with GN'R began in the fall of 1994.

However, Zakk talked about how he was with Guns in January '95. One interesting bit Zakk said is:

""Yeah - [Axl] said, `Dude, why don't you come and write some songs and we'll see what happens. If it works out, great, it'd be a blast'. He just said, `Hey, maybe we'll be in a band together!'. So we jammed together for just over a week, we jammed over a whole bunch of shit and came out with three pretty cool ideas. That was with the whole band: Axl, Slash, Dizzy, Duff, Matt and me. We were all just jammin' together and havin' a blast.

That's right. [slash] said it sounded f**kin' killer. He's got a batch of good ideas, piano things that sound really cool. I have a bunch and I look forward to jammin' some more, seeing if they work out.

Duff on moving on from Gn’R

‘Guns had been paying rent on studios for three years now - from 1994 - 1997 - and still did not have a single song.’

‘As far as I was concerned, the truly amazing time for the band was from 1985 to 1988’

‘I called Axl when my mind was made up (to quit Gn‘R). We went to dinner and I told Axl, my good friend and business partner, that I was done. We shook hands and that was that’

‘Axl can be the most tender and thoughtful of friends. Was he the ideal bandmate and business partner? Actually no. He was stubborn, moody, arrogant, and greedy. But to be fair, was I any better?’

-

It’s good to read this from Duff, and not misguide views on boards like MyGNR, HTGTH etc..

It’s interesting to note. With Adler out, Izzy out, there were only 3 members remaining. Slash, Axl, Duff. Duff was off the booze and drugs getting healthy, making an effort, far more so than the other 2 to be at the studio. Axl turned into a night owl, and would show up sometimes, usually when Duff was leaving.

Remembering back to Slash’s book. He mentions being in the studio, Axl failing to show up (or only showing up at night?). Slash would get bored, and head to a strip club and drink. I guess Duff would head home to keep away from booze and drugs, pretty much like Izzy did from early on.

Finished the book now. Good read.

..towards the end:

There's some stuff on V.R.

There's the a bit on Duff happening to be in London in the same hotel, in a room next to Axl, in what amounts to be a huge coincidence. Duff met Axl for the first time in years. Axl was using a boat to commute to the 02 Arena. I can picture Axl sitting in a little boat, crossing the Thames, heading towards the 02, which I've driven past many times.

Having put the book down, it's obvious, Gn'R will never return the way they were remembered. Things end for all number of reasons. From what is written in the book, while Axl owns the band name, something he wanted to own on the grounds other members might pass-away through substance abuse, the others still retain their percentage of all that was created.

Edited by star

Still I can not believe that Duff or Slash were capable of remembering anything from the first years because they were always high and wasted...

Duff's book reads like it's all happening in front of him, and he hasen't forgotten a thing, which might explain why I whizzed though it in 4 days.. It was easy reading. Duff seem's, out of all the members, to have it all. A full circle.

Slash's book took me a year on (planes, holiday etc) and off to get through. It some how feels heavy.

Where as Duff's book appears to want to paint a black & white image, matter of fact, raw punk, that's how it was/is. Slash's book feel's like it took more effort to write.

Both books are good. Didn't Adler release a book? is it any good? as out of all the members, he got the most wasted. Duff has much respect for Adler. Adler would do anything for anyone. He almost seems too nice to be in the most Dangerous band in the world.

Edited by star

Duff's is the best book -- the most personal, the most intimate, the most substantial. Slash's is standard ghostwritten stuff (fun, but you get the sense he's helping to perpetuate myths rather than clarify them). I respected Duff's openness and the fact that his book used GN'R's history as a launching pad to touch upon a personal issue he experienced within the band that relates to many people all over the world.

Adlers book is the weakest of the three. Duff & Slashs were both great. I liked Duff's insight into the breakdown of GN'R more so than Slashs. He seems much more matter of fact.

Duff's book on the whole seem's quite positive. It's like a complete learning phase. Not knowing how to deal with much, to learning how to dealing which a lot to the point of helping others.

The helping out Scott Weiland part got me thinking. It was worth a try but probably never going to work out, and it didn't. When Duff was in the same drug/booze situation he didn't want help, he only looked for help when he was ready. Scott wasn't ready, gave it ago, then fucked up, such is the pull of drugs/booze. What was interesting to read, when Scott was doing an Axl, ie turning up to gigs later and later, the band thought fuck it, and jumped on stage on time. Performed, knowing Scott would jump on stage as and when. Scott then started to appear on stage on time. Maybe Axl's hired hands should try the same thing: Jump on stage, perform music until Axl shows his face.

Adlers book is the most fun and feels less staged. It's good on the early days and how they got into the scene. It gives a great insight into what was going on.

I might have to read it. To fill a book must have been more difficult for Adler. Chapter 1 - Gn'R Chapter 2 onwards, the drug days ?

Duff's is the best book -- the most personal, the most intimate, the most substantial. Slash's is standard ghostwritten stuff (fun, but you get the sense he's helping to perpetuate myths rather than clarify them). I respected Duff's openness and the fact that his book used GN'R's history as a launching pad to touch upon a personal issue he experienced within the band that relates to many people all over the world.

I got the impression, with Slash's book, he had a whole lot of people run through it, making sure not to get into any legal stuff. Saying so much, without saying too much.

Still I can not believe that Duff or Slash were capable of remembering anything from the first years because they were always high and wasted...

so as Axl (not THAT much but still)

It's So Easy and other LOL's at people who think Axl is the only one who was sober 1985-1990

Duff's book reads like it's all happening in front of him, and he hasen't forgotten a thing, which might explain why I whizzed though it in 4 days.. It was easy reading. Duff seem's, out of all the members, to have it all. A full circle.

Slash's book took me a year on (planes, holiday etc) and off to get through. It some how feels heavy.

Where as Duff's book appears to want to paint a black & white image, matter of fact, raw punk, that's how it was/is. Slash's book feel's like it took more effort to write.

Both books are good. Didn't Adler release a book? is it any good? as out of all the members, he got the most wasted. Duff has much respect for Adler. Adler would do anything for anyone. He almost seems too nice to be in the most Dangerous band in the world.

Adler's book was written by a friend of Steven and the dude got literally NOTHING for his efforts and the book contains more fiction than truthhttp://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/177474-i-am-the-true-author-of-steven-adlers-tell-all/

Don't believe for wasted, here's a thread were FreshfromDetox posted interesting insights about the writing (she was the ex girlfriend of the writer)

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/207207-steven-adlers-my-appetite-for-destruction/page-3

Edited by Motivation

Who else was sober between '85 and '90?

Slash was into booze and heroin

Izzy was into heroin until 1989, so yes, he was clean after '89, but he's not written any book yet.

Duff was increasingly an alcoholic especially throughout the '90s, enough to earn the "King of Beers" nickname by '92

Steven was increasingly into heroin to the point that he was in rehab several times between '88 and '90 and had to be sacked in '90

Axl, outside of a suicide attempt, and smoking pot, was otherwise it seems the most sober in this period.

Izzy was into heroin until 1989, so yes, he was clean after '89, but he's not written any book yet.

Duff was increasingly an alcoholic especially throughout the '90s, enough to earn the "King of Beers" nickname by '92

Steven was increasingly into heroin to the point that he was in rehab several times between '88 and '90 and had to be sacked in '90

Axl, outside of a suicide attempt, and smoking pot, was otherwise it seems the most sober in this period.

Axl shoot heroin too bro

Axl shoot heroin too bro

For a week span, in around 1987 or 1988. Recreational use of a drug is far different from a documented addiction and dependency. The one thing everyone from the era has given Axl credit for is that he wasn't addicted to anything "except perhaps cigarettes".

Axl, RS Interview, August 1989:

RS: What about drugs? Everyone and their mother seems to have a G n' R story involving junkie debauchery . . . .

AXL: I'm not and never have been a junkie. The last interview in RIP Magazine got taken out of context about me talking openly about my drug use. That was over two years ago and was only for a few weeks when there was nothing to do. I was also very safe about it. That doesn't mean that at some pointI won't get really sick of life and choose to OD. Then people will go, "He was always a junkie." That's not the case, but you can believe what you want, I don't give a fuck. No one's really gonna believe anything I say anyway as far as what I do or don't do with drugs, 'cause it's such a taboo subject. Lately I've been drinking champagne for fun, a few beers, you know. Right now drugs get in the way of my dreams and goals. I really don't want drugs around me now, I'm not necessarily against the use of drugs, they just don't fit in my life right now. Then again, I could be out on tour for six months and a blast might be what cheers me up that night.

RS: Do you ever think these excesses might hurt other members of the group?

AXL: I don't want to see drugs tear up this band. I'm against when it goes too far. Right now, for me, a line of coke is too far. A line of coke puts my voice out of commission for a week. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I did a lot of stuff before. Maybe it's guilt and it's relocated in my throat. All I know is it's not healthy for me right now. And if somebody goes, "Oh, man, he's not a partyer anymore," hey, fuck you! Do you want a record or not?

The RIP Magazine interview Axl mentions:

RIP: Are you, as many people believe, a heavy drug user?
AXL: I have a different physical constitution and different mindset about drugs than anybody I've known in Hollywood, because I don't abstain from doing drugs, but I won't allow myself to have a fuckin' habit. I won't allow it. I'll have done blow for three days and my mind will go "Fuck no". I'll have the physical feeling of knowing my body needs it, and I'll just refuse to do coke that day. I'm not going to do it, because if I was going to do it, I know I won't be able to hit my goals with what I want to do with this band. I can't let myself get into coke as much as I'm into the band. The same thing with heroin. I did it for three weeks straight and had one of the greatest times in my life, because I was with a girl I wanted to be with in this beautiful apartment, and we just sat there listening to Led Zeppelin, doing drugs and fucking. It was great, 'cause at that time I had nothing to do but sit on my ass and make a few phone calls a day. I stopped on, like, Saturday, because I had serious business to attend to on Monday. I felt like shit, sweated, shook, but on Monday I was able to function. I can't hide in drugs. A lot of people can, but whenever I do any drugs - pills, booze, smack, whatever - to enjoy it, my life has to be perfect - no fuck-ups, nothing going wrong. Otherwise, when I'm high, I'll analyse the shit out of everything that's happening in my life and why things are going wrong. That's not enjoyable. And if I have shows to do, I won't touch drugs because it fucks up my throat. My advice is don't get a habit, don't use anybody else's needle and don't let drugs become a prerequisite to having a good time. Do things in moderation , and just be careful.

I think he wanted to experience heroin so the other band members couldn't go "you've never tried it, you wouldn't understand", but no one's going to know from the mid 90s on whether his physician overmedicated him and got him addicted.

Drug dealers get backstage at shows because someone in the crew knew them or the local promoter is a buddy of theirs.

I'd also avoid making slanderous comments and just keep them as alleged, rumored, etc. Even if you saw it firsthand, have to be careful in stating anything as fact.

Edited by dalsh327