Recent advertising

Redhead74

I love this place but I find the recent influx of advertising to be really annoying. As in, REALLY annoying. :max:

I am finding, especially on my phone, that updates on threads or sections (ie, Anything Goes) take ages to load, because of the advertising, however, the ads change and load without a hitch (how fortunate :awesomeface:). But the actual content takes forever.

It fucking shits me when we (as supporters, whether paid or unpaid, and the life blood of this forum) are told that certain behaviour and 'pictures' will not be tolerated and as a consequence we are made to tolerate corporate JUNK. And from now on those who contribute to the lifeblood of this forum now have to second guess everything we post, whilst we are infiltrated with mindless shit. I'll personally make a point of not supporting any company that 'supports' this forum via advertising. It's not the first time I've done this. I used to work in the advertising industry and I know that these companies are appalling and can do better.

It's sad that the corporate voice speaks stronger than our individual voices. I won't leave here as a result but I won't be silenced. It's mind numbingly sad.

I suspect that this is also why the Use Your Illusion section has been deleted. :max:

I don't browse on my mobile much, but other than the 1 banner at the top I haven't seen any ads. And that banner doesn't bug me one bit.

Also, Downzy had a great and fair explanation on the UYI section (and the cleaning in general). I totally get that, so when it's been properly cleaned it'll come back eventually.

• Like 1

I love this place but I find the recent influx of advertising to be really annoying. As in, REALLY annoying. :max:

I am finding, especially on my phone, that updates on threads or sections (ie, Anything Goes) take ages to load, because of the advertising, however, the ads change and load without a hitch (how fortunate :awesomeface:). But the actual content takes forever.

It fucking shits me when we (as supporters, whether paid or unpaid, and the life blood of this forum) are told that certain behaviour and 'pictures' will not be tolerated and as a consequence we are made to tolerate corporate JUNK. And from now on those who contribute to the lifeblood of this forum now have to second guess everything we post, whilst we are infiltrated with mindless shit. I'll personally make a point of not supporting any company that 'supports' this forum via advertising. It's not the first time I've done this. I used to work in the advertising industry and I know that these companies are appalling and can do better.

It's sad that the corporate voice speaks stronger than our individual voices. I won't leave here as a result but I won't be silenced. It's mind numbingly sad.

I suspect that this is also why the Use Your Illusion section has been deleted. :max:

You may want to have a look here:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/208426-ask-staff/page-62 (Downzy's post half way down the page)

And here:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/208769-google-ads-etc/ (The last post)

I understand the concerns regarding the recent changes in the use of advertising, but let's keep things in perspective.

First, I would highly disagree that there's been an influx in advertising. There's a banner at the top and bottom, and a side advertisement on the main page. We don't employ pop-ups nor site wide advertising skins. Compared to most other sites (at least the ones I frequent), I'm not sure anyone could argue that the presence of advertisements is anything but minimal.

Second, while we greatly appreciate donations to help keep the lights on, let's remember that the current level of donations do not come close to cover our monthly costs. It would be great if this site could operate for free, but that's just not the world we live in.

The criticism that supporters should be free from all advertising is a valid one, but there are technical shortcoming at the moment from making that a reality. At present, we have the capability to block all advertisements from the desktop skin for our supporters. However, the system tools at present do not allow the same controls for our mobile skin. So we're left with the decision of having no advertisements for supporters and guests alike, or advertisements for everyone with the mobile skin. I'm still investigating (and have been for the past few days) on how to modify the coding to block advertisements for supporters with our mobile skin. Unfortunately, as I am not a computer programmer, I just haven't figured things out yet.

The reality is that more and more people are using their cell phones and mobile devices to connect to the forum. Over a quarter of the forum's revenue is now coming from its mobile platforms. And it's a growing percentage of the forum's traffic. We simply cannot afford to have the forum's mobile platform to be advertisement free at the present time. I underscore that the goal is for this to be temporary. Efforts are being made to lower operating costs while trying to figure out how to include an opt out operator within the mobile code to prevent advertisers from reaching our supporters. But all of this takes time.

So look, I get the frustration, but in the grand scheme of things, how intrusive is one little banner at the top and bottom of the mobile platform? Keep in mind that such a necessary evil is helping to keep the forum afloat. And as always, you're welcome to use the regular/desktop skim where supporters are free from advertisers. But for now, and likely for a little while longer, advertisements will remain visible for all visitors to this forum who use the mobile platform, regardless whether you're a guest, member, supporter, or even a mod or admin. I'll continue to work on this as I don't like the ads any more than the rest of you, but it's where we're at present.

I'll unlock this thread if people have any further questions or comments.

I understand the concerns regarding the recent changes in the use of advertising, but let's keep things in perspective.

First, I would highly disagree that there's been an influx in advertising. There's a banner at the top and bottom, and a side advertisement on the main page. We don't employ pop-ups nor site wide advertising skins. Compared to most other sites (at least the ones I frequent), I'm not sure anyone could argue that the presence of advertisements is anything but minimal.

Second, while we greatly appreciate donations to help keep the lights on, let's remember that the current level of donations do not come close to cover our monthly costs. It would be great if this site could operate for free, but that's just not the world we live in.

The criticism that supporters should be free from all advertising is a valid one, but there are technical shortcoming at the moment from making that a reality. At present, we have the capability to block all advertisements from the desktop skin for our supporters. However, the system tools at present do not allow the same controls for our mobile skin. So we're left with the decision of having no advertisements for supporters and guests alike, or advertisements for everyone with the mobile skin. I'm still investigating (and have been for the past few days) on how to modify the coding to block advertisements for supporters with our mobile skin. Unfortunately, as I am not a computer programmer, I just haven't figured things out yet.

The reality is that more and more people are using their cell phones and mobile devices to connect to the forum. Over a quarter of the forum's revenue is now coming from its mobile platforms. And it's a growing percentage of the forum's traffic. We simply cannot afford to have the forum's mobile platform to be advertisement free at the present time. I underscore that the goal is for this to be temporary. Efforts are being made to lower operating costs while trying to figure out how to include an opt out operator within the mobile code to prevent advertisers from reaching our supporters. But all of this takes time.

So look, I get the frustration, but in the grand scheme of things, how intrusive is one little banner at the top and bottom of the mobile platform? Keep in mind that such a necessary evil is helping to keep the forum afloat. And as always, you're welcome to use the regular/desktop skim where supporters are free from advertisers. But for now, and likely for a little while longer, advertisements will remain visible for all visitors to this forum who use the mobile platform, regardless whether you're a guest, member, supporter, or even a mod or admin. I'll continue to work on this as I don't like the ads any more than the rest of you, but it's where we're at present.

If this was in regards to my post in the other thread about the ads all over my screen, I didn't mean it as a complaint. Normally the ads on the mobile don't bother me, but I must have inadvertently opened one and it caused my mobile to do all sorts if weird things and ads to appear all over the place. It only happened for a short while and it stopped. I understand the need for revenue and my query was a genuine one as I'm pretty clueless about technology and have no idea about adblockers or whatever. Apologies for any misunderstanding. Thanks guys for all your hard work.☺

I wasn't even complaining about the ads, I was just asking if there was an update as to when they'd be removed from mobile. It's a small banner at the top and at the bottom, it's hardly as bad as redhead is making it out to be.

My post was in response to Red. Part of the problem is on my end, I haven't been clear as to what's been going on and why things have happened the way they have. Blame it on blind optimism on my part for thinking I could have all of this resolved in a shorter period of time. As I mentioned, it would be great if IP Boards allowed for simplified controls over the mobile skin as they do for the regular forum, but that's not the case. It's something I should have been more clear about during this whole process.

If this was in regards to my post in the other thread about the ads all over my screen, I didn't mean it as a complaint. Normally the ads on the mobile don't bother me, but I must have inadvertently opened one and it caused my mobile to do all sorts if weird things and ads to appear all over the place. It only happened for a short while and it stopped. I understand the need for revenue and my query was a genuine one as I'm pretty clueless about technology and have no idea about adblockers or whatever. Apologies for any misunderstanding. Thanks guys for all your hard work.☺

Again, my post was directed towards Red's questions in particular, but I figure a more thorough explanation was needed considering the general concern over this issue. No worries about misunderstandings. Like I said in the previous post to this one, I could have been a little clearer as to what's been going on.

Totally fine bud - I know you're on the case. It is annoying - no two ways about it, but we're all in the same boat :) Always greatly appreciate it - looking forward to the fix. Hope the ads are brining in the income we need.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://invisionmodding.com/tutorials/article/610-if-group-statement/

This might not be correct (syntax wise), but it's likely that the forum software will allow something similar to this in the mobile skin.

If you check the desktop skin, there'll likely be something similar around the advertising portion.. you can just copy and paste that into the mobile theme.

• Like 1