Exclusive MYGNR interview with former GN'R manager Vicky Hamilton

gunsguy

Earlier this week former Guns N' Roses manager, Vicky Hamilton spoke to us about her up and coming book release. Many thanks to Vicky for her time.

Q. You’re set to release a book 'Appetite for Dysfunction' next year charting your time in the music industry, has it taken long to write and get a publication date?

Yes, it has taken me seven years to write the book, I am now working on artwork and pictures. I have a high profile literary manager shopping my book to agents and publishers, I hope to release the book in the next coming months. Writing this book has been very enlightening for me and at the same time great therapy. I got to retrack my history and see where I have been, where I am now and where I am going. I am proud of what I have accomplished.

Q. How does the book compare to others written? Will the main focus be your time spent as manager of Guns N’ Roses and other bands?

There is a lot about Guns N Roses but I worked with many other bands too. I worked as a management consultant to Motley Crue and Stryper, I managed Poison in the early days and Faster Pussycat. I made a Grammy winning record on my own label with June Carter Cash along with doing A&R at Geffen and Capitol Records. To me, it is interesting to know about the early days of upcoming bands and how they made it. I was lucky enough to be there for this with all these bands and more! This book is also different as it is not a groupie tell all. I worked in the business with these bands and I don’t know of any other female driven books like this in the music industry.

Here is a short synopsis of the book.

This book is about a small-town girl who follows her heart to Hollywood, who finds success, only to lose it all after chasing a dream that becomes a nightmare because nothing and no one are what they appear to be. It’s about hitting the bottom of a dark and lonely abyss to then climb out triumphantly. This book shares Vicky Hamilton’s undeniable optimism, hope and faith-eternal, and is a must read for anyone who is a music fan curious about the golden era of the record business, and for anyone with a dream of their own.

Q. Have you had any good advice or input from anyone in the GN’R world whilst putting the book together?

I spoke to a lot of people while writing the book, but it mostly is from my own experiences, as it my view of living with them, watching them grow and the things I felt during the bidding war with the record labels.

Q. What would a diehard GN’R fan find surprising when reading your book?

I think the journey from zero to hero is surprising and thrilling. It’s amazing we all lived through these times.

Q. Will you be touring the book post release? Doing signings and meet & greets?

Yes, I’m very excited to do a book tour and meet everybody and do readings. I’ve already done two and it’s so much fun!

Q. You’re still involved in artist management to this day, not limited to just bands, what do you look for when signing up a band or individual?

Mostly good songs, great performances and the “it” factor. I don’t know how to describe “it” but I know “it” when I see “it.”

Q. What, in your opinion, made Guns N' Roses so successful? Can you define what special quality they had at that time? Could a band like that make it in today's industry?

Guns N’ Roses came out at a time when it was mostly glammy hair metal, kind of girly. So when this freight train came rolling through, it felt slightly more dangerous, rebellious. You knew you were seeing a train wreak but you couldn’t take your eyes off of it. The bottom line is they had amazing songs and it was a great live show. I do think a great rock band could make it today, as there are just as many people out there that appreciate great rock music, it just might happen in a different way, maybe via the internet.

Q. Do you have any regrets about the past? Anything you would do differently if you had the chance?

I would have gotten sober sooner, beyond that I don’t think I would change anything.

Q. Marc Canter, author of Reckless Road, has spoken about a film version he is involved with. Could you see yourself working with such a project?

No, I won’t be working on this film as I am hoping my book will get picked up for a film deal, but I wish Marc luck.

Q. Do you have any future plans that will interest GN’R fans or do you consider releasing the book as a line drawn under that period of your life?

I’m at peace with my GN’R time and like I said, i hope to make a movie of my life story too. If not, it’s been a fun and interesting ride.

For more info and to get into the discussion check out this link: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/210450-exclusive-mygnr-interview-with-former-gnr-manager-vicky-hamilton/

Edited by gunsguy
  • Like 1