Art of Anarchy (Band w/ BBF & Weiland)

Solid album. Especially love Small Batch Whiskey, Get On Down, Till The Dust Is Gone, Time Everytime and Aqualung.

It's a shame Scott has abandoned this project. I still don't understand how he claims never to have been in the band. What exactly did he think he was doing when he was shooting the music video for the single or posing for band promo shots??

Edited by Towelie

I wrote a review of the album:

So I knew I had to check this album out. The sickeningly talented guitar virtuoso and singer/songwriter Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal in the same band as one of the coolest frontmen in all of rock, Mr Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver fame. With two such world-class acts in the same band, I was tentatively excited to hear the results.

What they have delivered, alongside lead guitarist and drummer siblings, Jon and Vince Votta and John Moyer on bass (Disturbed), is not only the best rock album of 2015 so far, but one of the best rock albums of recent years.

Weiland is on top form here, vocally and lyrically, the melody lines just sing on this album. It is difficult to choose a highlight, as every track has its own merits. Crunchy, dramatic album opener "Small Batch Whiskey" is superb, complete with two fantastic guitar solos, a harmonica outro and riffs for days - this has to be one of the best rock tracks I've heard in years. "Time Every Time" is reminiscent of Velvet Revolvers heavier tracks in places, but rocks harder than anything Scott's former band have done and after a few listens becomes insanely hooky ("tiiiyyyme, every tiiiiyyyme, every tiiiyyyme" will get stuck in your head I guarantee).

"Get On Down" is a truly beautiful piece of work from all involved. It centres around a repeating melancholic guitar motif in the verses before Scott delivers an anthemic and emotive chorus, with Bumblefoot and Jon Votta exchanging very tasteful and understated lead guitar solos, which compliment the track beautifully.

One thing I appreciate about this album is that there's honesty to the tracks, where the musicians work together to serve the songs rather than get in the way. For those unaware of Jon Votta's prowess on the axe, he more than holds his own next to Bumblefoot - which is no easy feat. With two such world-class lead guitarists in the same band it would be all too easy for things to become flashy for the sake of it, but the solos are tastefully done, they do not overpower the songs and sound more like mini-compositions in their own right as opposed to just mindless shredding/showing off.

Lead single "Till The Dust Is Gone" is one of the more immediate tracks that draw you in, with a stellar vocal delivery from Scott, and lots of subtle nuances to enjoy, from the understated arpeggiated picking in the verses to Bumblefoot's dreamy acoustic solos. The down-tempo, almost mournful "Death Of It" starts as a wistful ballad and progresses into a climatic rock ending which keeps rewarding with repeated listens.

Tracks like "Grand Applause" and "Superstar" are brazen slices of unashamed riff-centred rock/metal, very different to anything you'd expect to hear from Scott Weiland, but he sounds just as at home here as he does with his other bands, which is a testament to his versatility as a singer.

What the future holds for Art of Anarchy remains uncertain, but if the material on their first album is anything to go by, there is way too much talent and chemistry in this band for them to give up without a fight.

Edited by Towelie

Good review. Kind of how I feel. The only thing is that it's like an album out of time with everything. It's not part or from a scene but it has the vibe of a 90s debut album. If these guys actually got this on in a real way Scott will definitely die. But it's a great fantasy.

Good review. Kind of how I feel. The only thing is that it's like an album out of time with everything. It's not part or from a scene but it has the vibe of a 90s debut album.

True, but then isn't all rock music out of time with everything else these days? What does contemporary rock music in 2015 even sound like?

Edited by Towelie

I know there's no young bands. Maybe there are I don't know. It's just a shame there isn't an audience for this album or for it to be the 90s so it could impact more and have a life of its own.

Unfortunately all the while Scott is distancing himself from the band, the record is doomed to become one of those awesome hidden gem albums.

Poor Ron, dude doesn't have much luck, does he? Then again, Scott is a known flight risk, maybe Ron's just glutton for punishment?

Edited by Towelie

The more I listen to it the better this album gets. I find it's a good album to listen to after midnight; it's very atmospheric.

If this had come out in 90' would have connected with a lot of people. Melodies and instrumentation are really great.

As it is it's a real shame not getting more attention. Saying that, lack of awareness of the album is no reflection on the album's

quality, which is excellent.

Bumblefoot has put out two great albums this year (this one and his own).

Edited by axl666

Bumble on Weiland:

“I don’t want to throw anybody under the bus or anything, but contracts were worded clearly. We all knew what we were getting into and thought each other knew what we were getting into. So anything else came as a shock. And even when we announced the existence of the band in January, the night before camps were in touch with each other approving the bio and all those things so that nothing was a surprise. Even things that we didn’t need to be in touch about like, ‘Here’s what I’m gonna say on Twitter, just so you know,’ out of courtesy so that nothing for any reason rubs anyone the wrong way. And we made the announcement and then (laughs) we saw in the middle of… (pauses). Yeah. So it was disappointing.”

He adds, “I would have much preferred if Scott had called me and said, ‘Can we find a different way of doing this or wording this,’ or something that would be less damaging.” Bumblefoot admits that while there were talks with Weiland at different points in the process, most of the conversations took place with the singer’s manager.

While Weiland’s reluctance to embrace the project is disappointing, the guitarist states, “Honestly, at this point, I just want people to be happy. Everyone’s gotta do what’s in their heart. But at the same time you also have to see through your obligations. And if you don’t wanna see them though then you need to work out something. But I get it. You know what, you only have one life and you can’t be a slave to what you do. You have to do what makes you happy. And honestly, if doing Blaster, doing that tour and doing nothing else, if that’s what he needs to do to be happy, for life to be livable and for his spirit to stay lit, and for him to enjoy making music (and I hope it’s doing that for him) then I can understand that that’s what he needs to do. I’ve been in that same position where you have to start making choices.”

He adds, “Ultimately, there’s been way too many rock stars that blew their head off, and I can almost understand why (laughs). You become property of everyone else and you’re just a slave to what everybody else wants from you. It doesn’t mean anything to you anymore and it’s just too f–king much. I don’t want to see anybody like that. And I don’t wanna be like that. I don’t want anyone I play with to be like that. But we just need to work out the details of all of that.”

Interesting.... but a bit of a hipocrite statement :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it on vinyl (with CD and lyrics sheet inside) for 20 bucks. Mix some songs from this and some from Blaster and you got amazing STP album ;). But please stop it with no new bands - first out of my head - The Marmozets amazing modern hard rock, insane live and puts bands like Halestorm to shame with how hard it rocks. And the girl from Marmozets has one hell of a voice.

So I knew I had to check this album out. The sickeningly talented guitar virtuoso and singer/songwriter Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal in the same band as one of the coolest frontmen in all of rock, Mr Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver fame. With two such world-class acts in the same band, I was tentatively excited to hear the results.

What they have delivered, alongside lead guitarist and drummer siblings, Jon and Vince Votta and John Moyer on bass (Disturbed), is not only the best rock album of 2015 so far, but one of the best rock albums of recent years.

Weiland is on top form here, vocally and lyrically, the melody lines just sing on this album. It is difficult to choose a highlight, as every track has its own merits. Crunchy, dramatic album opener "Small Batch Whiskey" is superb, complete with two fantastic guitar solos, a harmonica outro and riffs for days - this has to be one of the best rock tracks I've heard in years. "Time Every Time" is reminiscent of Velvet Revolvers heavier tracks in places, but rocks harder than anything Scott's former band have done and after a few listens becomes insanely hooky ("tiiiyyyme, every tiiiiyyyme, every tiiiyyyme" will get stuck in your head I guarantee).

"Get On Down" is a truly beautiful piece of work from all involved. It centres around a repeating melancholic guitar motif in the verses before Scott delivers an anthemic and emotive chorus, with Bumblefoot and Jon Votta exchanging very tasteful and understated lead guitar solos, which compliment the track beautifully.

One thing I appreciate about this album is that there's honesty to the tracks, where the musicians work together to serve the songs rather than get in the way. For those unaware of Jon Votta's prowess on the axe, he more than holds his own next to Bumblefoot - which is no easy feat. With two such world-class lead guitarists in the same band it would be all too easy for things to become flashy for the sake of it, but the solos are tastefully done, they do not overpower the songs and sound more like mini-compositions in their own right as opposed to just mindless shredding/showing off.

Lead single "Till The Dust Is Gone" is one of the more immediate tracks that draw you in, with a stellar vocal delivery from Scott, and lots of subtle nuances to enjoy, from the understated arpeggiated picking in the verses to Bumblefoot's dreamy acoustic solos. The down-tempo, almost mournful "Death Of It" starts as a wistful ballad and progresses into a climatic rock ending which keeps rewarding with repeated listens.

Tracks like "Grand Applause" and "Superstar" are brazen slices of unashamed riff-centred rock/metal, very different to anything you'd expect to hear from Scott Weiland, but he sounds just as at home here as he does with his other bands, which is a testament to his versatility as a singer.

What the future holds for Art of Anarchy remains uncertain, but if the material on their first album is anything to go by, there is way too much talent and chemistry in this band for them to give up without a fight.

No mention of Aqualung?! I think it's a great track... Very meaty baseline!

No matter how good band is in terms of music Scott really shines, he has talent to write great melodies with such ease. His latest solo album had some amazing melodies, Avengers song was awesome and Wildabouts albums has some great tunes. And he shines even more here and singing is pretty amazing too.

I doubt there is much future without Scott for then as he really elevated this material to different level.

Edited by eye2eye

• 3 weeks later...