Live Era vocal overdubs. Only Axl?

I doubt it will ever be confirmed or denied, but it seems obvious somebody overdubbed it, robin or otherwise, @ some point as the version used for live era is said to be from Wembley '91 & the vocals aren't on the bootleg version of the track. I doesn't help that the only live versions of the track that the vocals sound similar are from when robin was in the band.

Edited by The Matinator

I just recently made a Mr. Brownstone music video using live footage and I can almost guarantee it's Izzy on the Live Era version with his mic turned up louder than it was in concert.

The only guy that ever really did backing vocals back in the day was Duff.

And that does not sound like Duff.

Nah Izzy did a lot of the backing vocals when he was in the band. Duff didn't do the majority until Izzy left. Edited by Jwalker19

I don't have it in front of me, but i'm 90% sure that Fink is credited in the Live Era booklet.

it's certainly him playing guitar at the end of Rocket Queen

he is credited as Robert Finkelstein

thanks, I knew it was something like that.

and Nosaj - listen to the end of Rocket Queen on Live Era and compare to all the Slash versions vs. Robin versions from 2001-2002. tell me that's not Robin playing

You can just tell it's robin, miles apart from how slash sounded

and Nosaj - listen to the end of Rocket Queen on Live Era and compare to all the Slash versions vs. Robin versions from 2001-2002. tell me that's not Robin playing

If you're referring to the very last solo after the "...leave you strung out, much too far, baby yeah!" line, then I gotta tell you that back then Robin never played that part, that was always Buckethead. I'm not sure about 2006 but I think he didn't play it either.

:facepalm:

I love it when people make these kind of statements. It reminds me of dumb people claiming that Paul Tobias sounded great in Sympathy for the Devil, that his solos were great, that he killed the outro -- only to find out that it was Slash playing those solos with Tobias tiny little guitar parts being added only in the first solo.

Needless to say, these dumb characters were heavy Slash detractors. They couldn't believe they were, in fact, praising Slash. :lol:

I love it when people make these kind of statements. It reminds me of dumb people claiming that Paul Tobias sounded great in Sympathy for the Devil, that his solos were great, that he killed the outro -- only to find out that it was Slash playing those solos with Tobias tiny little guitar parts being added only in the first solo.

Needless to say, these dumb characters were heavy Slash detractors. They couldn't believe they were, in fact, praising Slash. :lol:

What's your problem ? Whatever anyone says u always pop up & only you has a correct opinion

• Like 1

What's your problem ? Whatever anyone says u always pop up & only you has a correct opinion

Who is performing the Rocket Queen solo is not a matter of opinion.

What I'm saying is that for me it sounds more robin than slash

I know Axl had managed to destroy the album by re-recording his (perfect) original vocals and replacing them with stupid, horrible, weak, pathetic studio vocals

i know that and it pisses me off that my favourite band ever has never ever released a real live album

(everytime i think about that i feel so fuckin grateful for all the tapers that recorded and made available all the bootlegs!)

anyway

i dont think axl would do such a move

Brownstone sounds like Izzy to me. Rocket queen sounds like slashes UYI live tone (which is shit compared to studio tone)

I always wondered if Axls redubs would sound good if thybwerent filtered at all. It sounds unnaturally EQd and leveled

Edited by Mendez

It's not Robin, though. It's Slash. I don't know how Slash managed to sound like Robin in 1992.

Thing is, Robin never played that solo the way it sounds on Live Era, and besides he only really played the first few bars, the rest is Buckethead that bailed him out because he couldn't do the fast parts. No, that solo is beyond Robin in every sense.