Plans going forward and forum transparency

downzy

• The monthly server costs are $330.00 a month.

That's something that I (and some other users) never understood ... why does it cost so much? It must exist a cheaper way to run this place ...

• That said, myself and the team are working hard at the moment to lower the monthly operating costs by looking at different hosting options.

Totally agree. The solution has to be more in the side of the decrease of the costs than in the side of the recipes.

I remember I tried to give some hints somewhere but I got no replies ... to be honest, I never felt comfortable enough to talk about this and dig a little more into this matter ...

• Guys like Jeff Boerio, Jarmo, Subs.

You forgot that GUNNER PT guy :(

• We plan on being very transparent with respect to how this forum is managed and the why certain decision are made.

^^^ Thumbs up.

Downzy if someday the shit hit the fan, don't forget that many of us are still available to help with our donations or whatever. So feel free to ask whatever you need to keep the reign of doom rolling. :P

Edited by GUNNER PT

Thanks Gunner for your input (sorry I left you out, how could I be so dumb! :shrugs::P )

Again, not going to speak too much for Subs, but the forum paid for itself (mostly) when the band was busier and there was more activity. More activity means more dollars from advertisers. I think Subs was just happy to break even, which is why he kept the current hosting services in place. But we live in a different time right now and the costs have to be scaled down so I'm not forgoing lunch money to keep this place afloat. Right now Adsense brings in $120-$150 a month, not nearly enough to cover expenses. And while donations help, they still leave this place firmly in the red. So you're right, things need to change on the cost side of the balance leisure. There's a lot to moving a forum of this size and many options available. It's going to take a little bit of time to find the right fit. I will not be sacrificing day-to-day performance just to save a buck.

The donation system as it operated before won't be coming back. We'll be announcing what is replacing it, but rest assured, my goal is to provide maximum value for any and all contributions. We hope to provide something more to those who "buy-in" to this forum than just the good feeling of helping to keep the lights on.

Frankly, I'm very sceptical about the necessity of a nugnr community. But, hey, go ahead if you feel it's the right thing to do.

The community will not be changed whatsoever. Think of the changes as "additions" versus anything else. The look and feel of this forum will remain the same; as will the mantra of inclusiveness to a wide range of opinions.

Some people will wet themselves about that transparency thing.

I always felt some people (under the influence of others) demanded some transparency that simply doesn't exist in any forum on the internet. But they feel MyGNR owns them a lot of background stuff that no one really cares besides some lunatics. You guys are doing a great job.

• Like 1

Even though he has some pretty shady political views, Downzy and Intercourse are the two people I would have picked to become the new owners of the site.

Downzy will be awesome and I have no doubt he'll do great things with the forum.

Who the bejesus is Intercourse :lol:

• Like 2

Even though he has some pretty shady political views, Downzy and Intercourse are the two people I would have picked to become the new owners of the site.

Downzy will be awesome and I have no doubt he'll do great things with the forum.

Who the bejesus is Intercourse :lol:

A really intelligent poster.

One of the few that doesn't sway to the right or the left depending on their own personal Axl/Slash bias.

They don't overpraise or find excuses for the things Axl does.

They give proper credit where it is due, and criticize where it is warranted.

Probably the person who makes the most accurate posts concerning GnR.

In spite of their screen name, he/she is probably the most logical person on the forum (in regards to GnR).

Meh, he puts a few bullet points up and all of a sudden Downzy is some god like figure? Wtf!? URGH, you guys!! It's all a scam he's following the $$$$

#shortmemories

He is a radical democrat who hates America, republicans and successful people.......so before the end of his reign, those of us who are successful in life will no doubt end up footing the bill for the entire forum and lining his pockets with our hard-earned money.

• Like 3

Meh, he puts a few bullet points up and all of a sudden Downzy is some god like figure? Wtf!? URGH, you guys!! It's all a scam he's following the $$$$

#shortmemories

He is a radical democrat who hates America, republicans and successful people.......so before the end of his reign, those of us who are successful in life will no doubt end up footing the bill for the entire forum and lining his pockets with our hard-earned money.

Good observation Bro! ;)

• Like 1

He could start by being transparent about his relationship with the band. That's serious stuff. Like, are we still independent of them? Do they hold any editorial sway? Am I Axl's favorite poster? And, most importantly, what personal experience has downzy had with the band? A detailed account of any interactions will suffice, from before he took over the forum and since.

• Like 1

He could start by being transparent about his relationship with the band. That's serious stuff. Like, are we still independent of them? Do they hold any editorial sway? Am I Axl's favorite poster? And, most importantly, what personal experience has downzy had with the band? A detailed account of any interactions will suffice, from before he took over the forum and since.

He posted about it. He partied with them once, got drunk and made out with Pitman.

1) I have no relationship with the band, other than getting an email from management last week addressing the change in ownership.

2) This forum will always be independently owned and operated (at least while I'm the owner). We won't curtail people's opinion so long as they're not over the line, maliciously cruel, inapplicable to the topic/discussion.

3) GNR and its management hold absolutely no editorial sway whatsoever.

4) You are absolutely Axl's favourite poster. Beta said so herself. Expect an all-expense paid invite to hear the next album.

5) I partied with them for one night over five years ago. That's it (other than GivenToFly's shocking revelation about me making out with Pitman).

6) There is no truth to one of the previous five points (hint: it's number 4, and the second part to point 5).

1) I have no relationship with the band, other than getting an email from management last week addressing the change in ownership.

2) This forum will always be independently owned and operated (at least while I'm the owner). We won't curtail people's opinion so long as they're not over the line, maliciously cruel, inapplicable to the topic/discussion.

3) GNR and its management hold absolutely no editorial sway whatsoever.

4) You are absolutely Axl's favourite poster. Beta said so herself. Expect an all-expense paid invite to hear the next album.

5) I partied with them for one night over five years ago. That's it (other than GivenToFly's shocking revelation about me making out with Pitman).

6) There is no truth to one of the previous five points (hint: it's number 4, and the second part to point 5).

I SAID:

A detailed account

:max:

I'm never donating again. Wait....