What would you think if Slash, Duff, Steven

smoking guns

And Izzy teamed up with Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes and made a Stones type blues rock album.... Not hard rock, not GNR style, I am talking straight up 69-74 style Stones... Used to Love Her was kind of like that... But a hole album... Slash would be Mick Taylor. Izzy would be Keef... Robinson can sound just like Mick. Would be amazing.

And Izzy teamed up with Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes and made a Stones type blues rock album.... Not hard rock, not GNR style, I am talking straight up 69-74 style Stones... Used to Love Her was kind of like that... But a hole album... Slash would be Mick Taylor. Izzy would be Keef... Robinson can sound just like Mick. Would be amazing.

Would be phenomenal but chances for the release of CDII are bigger.

They dont need Chris Robinson to make the perfect stonesy album

Or the greatest rock album since Appetite

They dont need Scott Weiland

Dont Need Miles Kennedy

They could definetely use Axl Rose.

But Axl Rose seems to be much too busy right now dealing with much too serious and important stuff to waste his precious time recording a rock n roll album

Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven...

Oh man they just need each other

Izzy can sing damn well and he sings in that stones style but not like Mick

He is more like Keith or Ronnie

Besides, when Slash plays with Izzy its so fuckin good that he makes Mick Taylor sound like Bumblefoot/

And to top it all, Izzy sounds WAY better than Chris Robinson

Just listen to this and tell me Im wrong

• Like 1

Yeah, Izzy can sing, more laid back style. Izzy, slash, stevn and duff sounds cool. 4 Guns... It would be even better than the "first" version of Velvet Revolver, because Matt was there and not Steven. And infinitely more rock n'roll than the Axl's band...

Edited by nico_france

This reminds of when Scott left Velvet Revolver and every name in the industry was dropped as a prospective replacement. Or after Finck left GNR.

By the way, speaking of Chris Robinson, he hasn't been into rock'n'roll for a while now. He's more into neo-hippy stuff, he's got a Grateful Dead thing going on.

I don't like being a dick to a guy whose had so much trouble in his life, but why Steven? Can anyone give me a reason other than nostalgia?

Nothing to do with nostalgia.

its all about the rhythm, the groove.

Some people have it, some people dont.

Steven has a lot of it (on his playing)/

What he brings to the table makes the music move in a great and, like DR DOOM said, unique way.

Izzy's such a half assed singer though, I'm not saying I don't like him but he and Duff aren't frontmen.

You are right, Izzy is definetely not a frontman if you are looking for the traditional Axl Rose (or Steven Tyler, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickinson, Layne Staley etc) type of frontman.

Izzy is miles away from that, Izzy will never be that, and i am sure he doesnt wanna be anything like that.

I dont think we will ever see Izzy singing without his guitar.

izzy is a guitar player that can sing, much like Keith Richards or Ronnie Wood or Gilby Clarke or Johnny Thunders and many others.

I have seen izzy singing bits and pieces of Nightrain (on that Robert Johnson 1993 video), Mr Browsntone (on the Camp Freddy gig) and even some lines of You Could be Mine (in Rio 1991) and what amazes me is that he sings these songs VERY different from Axl. He doesnt even TRY to sing the same melody lines that Axl sings... On the contrary, he sings his own melody lines and it is far, far away from what Axl brings to the table. But let me tell you, it fucking rocks!

I don't like being a dick to a guy whose had so much trouble in his life, but why Steven? Can anyone give me a reason other than nostalgia?

What he brings to the table makes the music move in a great and, like DR DOOM said, unique way.

Cool reply. I'm glad some people feel that way. Yeah, I guess as a musician he does have that groove with Slash, Duff & Izz that he could probably just lock back into. I'm not a rhythm guy so to me he's just a guy who's best days are behind him and was never that exceptional to begin with. I hate to be brutal - and I'm not bullshitting, because I know Steven is the one guy who seems to love Guns N' Roses as much as the fans did - but to me I just think there are far better drummers out there with far less problems. You've at least given me something to think about there, but the fact that the group went with Matt for VR makes me think they fall on my side of the argument. I fucking really sympathize with Steven as a person though. Hey, I honestly hope it all does come together at some point and he proves himself up to the task and then his rock n' roll odyssey has the happy ending that a fucked-up but well-meaning guy should have. I should know, it takes one to know one and all that.

Edited by tomfriend
  • Like 1

Cool reply. I'm glad some people feel that way. Yeah, I guess as a musician he does have that groove with Slash, Duff & Izz that he could probably just lock back into. I'm not a rhythm guy so to me he's just a guy who's best days are behind him and was never that exceptional to begin with. I hate to be brutal - and I'm not bullshitting, because I know Steven is the one guy who seems to love Guns N' Roses as much as the fans did - but to me I just think there are far better drummers out there with far less problems. You've at least given me something to think about there, but the fact that the group went with Matt for VR makes me think they fall on my side of the argument. I fucking really sympathize with Steven as a person though. Hey, I honestly hope it all does come together at some point and he proves himself up to the task and then his rock n' roll odyssey has the happy ending that a fucked-up but well-meaning guy should have. I should know, it takes one to know one and all that.

Yeah, but it's like... you don't want better. You want what fits best to the sound. It is a very delicate thing.

Sorum is better technically as a drummer compared to Steven, but he lacks the right feel for Guns imo.

Don't get me wrong, his drumming worked on some Illusions tunes, but it wasn't a perfect fit like Steven was.

Slash worked with other guitar players that were better compared to Izzy, but he never managed to get the same results without him imo. Even Ghost shows that to me.

Gotta find the right musicians to have perfect chemistry. Like Duff said back in the day: "it could only be the 5 of us. No one else."

• Like 2

Yeah, but it's like... you don't want better. You want what fits best to the sound. It is a very delicate thing.

Sorum is better technically as a drummer compared to Steven, but he lacks the right feel for Guns imo.

Don't get me wrong, his drumming worked on some Illusions tunes, but it wasn't a perfect fit like Steven was.

Slash worked with other guitar players that were better compared to Izzy, but he never managed to get the same results without him imo. Even Ghost shows that to me.

Gotta find the right musicians to have perfect chemistry. Like Duff said back in the day: "it could only be the 5 of us. No one else."

yeah, thats pretty much exactly how i see it

• Like 1

Wouldn't happen because Izzy wouldn't do it, he's no afraid of Axl but he knows that joining a band comprised of the AFD line up minus Axl now is as good as saying we're no longer buds.

Also, why would that line up be so good? the day the AFD were fantastic but without Axl the magic just isn't there, even with a good singer like Chris robinson. It's just like When Izzy left or Steven was fired and the new band, they're all good, but they aren't as good as the original 5.

Is it rhythm? Or just a drug induced seizure?

but it won't happen because it wouldn't get Slash much money as a solo album with a bunch of unknown guys.

That's kind of a douche-bag thing to say.

Slash has been in two huge bands, full of superstar players.

Now you are bashing the guy for playing with a group of non-superstars? Manets - you are better than that.

You know I would fucking kill for a semi Appetite Lineup reunion.... Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven.. It would be fucking awesome.. I know some people here are all anti Myles but I think that would work just as well. When you are actually at the shows he sounds phenomenal and I think Izzy's voice would compliment him well on the backup vocals... Izzy could still sing a bunch of songs and just have Myles sing the shit like Rocket Queen and Sweet Child...

But I would be more than happy to see Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven up there with anyone or just themselves.. It would be a dream come true. Just one fucking tour and they have so many songs they could play.. I think Izzy's voice is great.. It really is time for something like this.

• Like 1

You know I would fucking kill for a semi Appetite Lineup reunion.... Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven.. It would be fucking awesome.. I know some people here are all anti Myles but I think that would work just as well. When you are actually at the shows he sounds phenomenal and I think Izzy's voice would compliment him well on the backup vocals... Izzy could still sing a bunch of songs and just have Myles sing the shit like Rocket Queen and Sweet Child...

But I would be more than happy to see Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven up there with anyone or just themselves.. It would be a dream come true. Just one fucking tour and they have so many songs they could play.. I think Izzy's voice is great.. It really is time for something like this.

If Izzy, Duff, Slash and Steven would get back together they'd need a singer who's more into classic rock.