Kendrick Lamar - New Album Out March 23rd

Zeppelin

I wish I enjoyed him more than I do. He aiight, but I always feel like there's a little something missing.

He's not believable.

He's really not, which makes me think...

He just needs to work with a really good producer and churn out some hits.

... is all he's really good for. He's a pop act to me, not really a rapper.

• Like 1

I thought Good kid M.A.A.D. City was a little over-hyped; for as good as it was, I didn't see it as the second coming of Nas and Illmatic or whatever people were going on about. I like his flow, but sometimes his production sounds uninspired to me, so I'm curious to see how the new album works out.

He had a sick freestyle though:

• Like 1

I thought Good kid M.A.A.D. City was a little over-hyped; for as good as it was, I didn't see it as the second coming of Nas and Illmatic or whatever people were going on about. I like his flow, but sometimes his production sounds uninspired to me, so I'm curious to see how the new album works out.

He had a sick freestyle though:

Now THAT was cold :) That there is what you call quality.

Edited by Len B'stard

In.

Can't wait for Kendrick to prove people wrong in this thread.

I hope he does too and that includes me. I like him a lot and I'm a west coast fan so I want him to kill it. I like that delivery on Blacker the Berry so that's a good start.

In.

Can't wait for Kendrick to prove people wrong in this thread.

I hope he does too and that includes me. I like him a lot and I'm a west coast fan so I want him to kill it. I like that delivery on Blacker the Berry so that's a good start.

The guy released Section 80 (which I feel is underrated), GKMC (which may be a bit overrated, still a landmark album of the past few years), the Control verse (in addition to other great guest verses/freestyles/cyphers), The Blacker The Berry, etc. and is getting disrespected here by people...I don't get it.

But that's ok, because two weeks from today, or whenever the album leaks, I believe Kendrick will deliver another classic album and people will change their tune...even if they don't admit it.

• Like 1

You're slipping, Len. That was shit.

why?

There's just nothing impressive about it. No flow at all, same overrated word play, same vanilla content.

You just described what the cyphers are all about though kinda. I mean, do you find those same three characteristics in a song like Money Trees or Blacker the Berry?

why?

There's just nothing impressive about it. No flow at all, same overrated word play, same vanilla content.

You just described what the cyphers are all about though kinda. I mean, do you find those same three characteristics in a song like Money Trees or Blacker the Berry?

The only thing I think is any good from either of those songs is the chorus of Money Trees.

why?

Flow, OK, he's not Biggie but it moves, wordplay in terms of punchlines? Yeah, it's kinda tired...but the rhyme scheme, come on, that ain't weak, not by any stretch of the imagination, the boys tripping over rhymes. I feel like I'm starting to suck your cock brutally lately but what I will say is, of all the people i ever saw on this forum you REALLY know your hip hop, based on the things you observe in your criticisms, spot on stuff.

Jakey where did you get the impression cyphers were about vanilla content and overrated wordplay. A good rapper is suppose to make you go 'ohhh shit!' and whistle like you just Ferrari zoom past touching 160.

Edited by Len B'stard

why?

Flow, OK, he's not Biggie but it moves, wordplay in terms of punchlines? Yeah, it's kinda tired...but the rhyme scheme, come on, that ain't weak, not by any stretch of the imagination, the boys tripping over rhymes. I feel like I'm starting to suck your cock brutally lately but what I will say is, of all the people i ever saw on this forum you REALLY know your hip hop, based on the things you observe in your criticisms, spot on stuff.

Jakey where did you get the impression cyphers were about vanilla content and overrated wordplay. A good rapper is suppose to make you go 'ohhh shit!' and whistle like you just Ferrari zoom past touching 160.

Yeah I didn't mean it that literally, but I was more getting at not expecting a cypher to have as strict and nice of a flow and as direct/focused of content as a full song. I think Kendrick's performance there accomplished all it was meant to and definitely passed that "ohhh shit!" test.

Maybe it's not fair, because, well, he kinda made a career out of embarrassing people off the stage in battles, but can you imagine Em following or, God forbid, preceding Kendrick in that video? It would be a joke.

I feel like I'm starting to suck your cock brutally lately

Sorry I made your chest hurt.

Maybe it's not fair, because, well, he kinda made a career out of embarrassing people off the stage in battles, but can you imagine Em following or, God forbid, preceding Kendrick in that video? It would be a joke.

Em' would brush him off.

Sorry I made your chest hurt.

Mags, I couldn't've tried any more :unsure::lol:

Em' would brush him off.

Exactly. I mean, I know that shit's hard to do, so I'm not saying some dumb shit like that I could battle Kendrick, but there's a reason so few rappers are known to be freestyle champs. Most can only do a mediocre job at the very best. Kendrick falls in with the majority, not the champs.