Kendrick Lamar - New Album Out March 23rd

Zeppelin

A concern becomes for me personally that sometimes i'll see someone and a bunch of people'll point and go 'greatest of all time!', i immediately dont like him now, i feel offended on Rakim and Biggies behalf, If i may condense what I'm thinking into a flippant sound remark. I gotta snap out of that mentality cuz you can miss out on some good music.

Certain things in hip hop you need to be careful when you say em and in what context. Careful calling yourself King of New York. Careful

Agreed on all points, including taking care not to let the GOAT hyperbole get in the way of enjoying good music. It's not even just music, though. Everyone is obsessed with GOATs right now. Looks at sports. Who's the GOAT?! Messi or Ronaldo?! Who's the GOAT?! Peyton or Tom?! A few years ago, who's the GOAT?! Federer or Nadal?!

None of them, motherfucker, shut up. :lol:

It's a cultural symptom, and I'd bet there's a lot to read into it if we spent some time thinking.

• Like 1

The actual distinct lack of that sort of excellence around today? Or rather the desire to construct these things in the public consciousness? Floyd Mayweathers an example of that, anyone who knows thing one about boxing he aint the greatest of all time or even close...but he might as well be for the spot he occupies. And hes kinda groomed for it. Perhaps theres a similar thing here, young black Dre protege with a big debut and a clear ability at rhyming incongruous with the one time standard of the west coast? You could make a case I suppose. There appears to be a tremendous self awareness at work here and not necessarily a good kind.

I just think anybody who was ever the greatest of anything didn't come out the gate with people thinking it, they prove it, they change peoples minds, it's not something thats like 'expected'. And thats what it feels like with Kendrick, like all these people are just sitting around waiting for this inevitable thing where he's gonna prove himself like that artistically and in believing its inevitable it's kind of been accepted ahead of time i feel. Which is bullshit.

Edited by Len B'stard

In.

Can't wait for Kendrick to prove people wrong in this thread.

I hope he does too and that includes me. I like him a lot and I'm a west coast fan so I want him to kill it. I like that delivery on Blacker the Berry so that's a good start.

The guy released Section 80 (which I feel is underrated), GKMC (which may be a bit overrated, still a landmark album of the past few years), the Control verse (in addition to other great guest verses/freestyles/cyphers), The Blacker The Berry, etc. and is getting disrespected here by people...I don't get it.

But that's ok, because two weeks from today, or whenever the album leaks, I believe Kendrick will deliver another classic album and people will change their tune...even if they don't admit it.

I'm not really trying to disrespect him. I like him and think he's better than most of the big dogs out there. Kanye, Drake, 2 Chainz, Rick Ross, J Cole, Lupe, Wiz, Slaughterhouse. That is a weak list and I'll take Kendrick over any of them. Maybe not Slaughterhouse I like them boys. I'm just not quite ready to crown him that's all.

I like him when he is a little rough around the edges. Blacker the Berry, Backseat Freestyle, Madd City, his outro verse on Game's The City. And this, maybe my favorite song from him, I posted it in another thread but it's that good. Now I like this Kendrick.

Edited by J Dog

Maybe it's not fair, because, well, he kinda made a career out of embarrassing people off the stage in battles, but can you imagine Em following or, God forbid, preceding Kendrick in that video? It would be a joke.

I feel like I'm starting to suck your cock brutally lately

Sorry I made your chest hurt.
Sorry, but Eminem is a bit past his prime at this point mate. To use him as a defense against Kendrick? I know you're a huge fan and so is Lenny but for every impressive track like Rap God he has utter filth like Survival or Guts Over Fear. His track record is spotty to say the least. Now if you were comparing 99 em to kendrick...

Maybe it's not fair, because, well, he kinda made a career out of embarrassing people off the stage in battles, but can you imagine Em following or, God forbid, preceding Kendrick in that video? It would be a joke.

I feel like I'm starting to suck your cock brutally lately

Sorry I made your chest hurt.
Sorry, but Eminem is a bit past his prime at this point mate. To use him as a defense against Kendrick? I know you're a huge fan and so is Lenny but for every impressive track like Rap God he has utter filth like Survival or Guts Over Fear. His track record is spotty to say the least. Now if you were comparing 99 em to kendrick...

I'm not talking about albums. And I'm not talking about whether he's past his prime or not. I'm talking about freestyle, and how Kendrick's pales in comparison to legitimately good freestyle.

The actual distinct lack of that sort of excellence around today? Or rather the desire to construct these things in the public consciousness?

The latter, although the latter kinda proves the former for me.

So I think Itunes fucked up because the clean version is available to buy right now and has leaked. I'm not sure if I'll listen to it, because I wanna hear the legit (and explicit) version.

Just to note - the version of "i" on the album is the version he performed on SNL

Edit: Actually I'm starting to think this was planned as some tribute to Me Against The World. Not sure why it's just the clean version, though.

Edit #2: The explicit version is on Spotify now.

Edited by Crazyman

Without trying to spoil anything, this was definitely "leaked" on purpose. If you listen you'll find out why.

Quick notes: Strong Outkast influence. Not a ton of songs you'd play at a party though, for example. "i" is different on the record on purpose. Very unapologetic and "black", as some of the reviews have been saying. Very different than GKMC (in a good way).

Will give a better review tomorrow, maybe. Heading to bed now.

Edited by Crazyman