Old School Hip-Hop

J Dog

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 12:26 PM, Len Cnut said:

This threads fuckin' depressing, am I that fuckin' old, the majority of songs on here I remember being released :lol:  Temptations, fuck me, is that old skool now?  Say it ain't so :lol:

Hate to break it to ya cuz, yes, we are old :lol: perhaps this is more fitting...

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

That beat is fuckin' filthy!  Always loved it to bits.  

Just my lowly opinion, it’s one of the best old school beats ever. It’s like the perfect golden age of hip hop beat. Ain’t No Half Steppin gets an honorable mention.

14 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Just my lowly opinion, it’s one of the best old school beats ever. It’s like the perfect golden age of hip hop beat. Ain’t No Half Steppin gets an honorable mention.

One of the first times i ever got jumped was to the tune of Ain't No Half Steppin'.  True story, I'm standing by this car in a garage in this courtyard thing full of garages, stereos playin' half steppin', I'm facing towards the car and a bunch of lads kicked the fuckin' shit out of me and the two other guys with me who were in the car, I was havin' a fag outside, they had a problem with one of my friends in the car and I never even saw em comin', not that I'm some fuckin' He-Man that would've dealt with all of em but I could've at least tried y'know.  

Still a class tune :lol: 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Last three posts in this thread are arguably three of the hardest fuckin’ beats out there, Dopeman especially, with that fuckin’ sample of Funky Worm by The Ohio Players that west coast hip hop loves so much, fuckin lethal shit.

The beat on Dope Man is just nasty. That was a song back in the day that everyone played when they got big speakers or a new system in their ride. It’s really the perfect song for that. I’ve heard a ton of rap beats from big speakers, Dope Man is one of the best ever.

And yeah that sample. Don’t you love a well used sample? First it can elevate a beat to greatness. But the creative part too. What made Dre remember that Ohio Players song and think, this would sound great in the middle of those hard beats on Dope Man. Know what I mean? Like who said, hey that song we got about being all paranoid and shit, it would go great with that old Isaac Hayes song from 1974 :lol: Always thought that was cool.

^^^^That sample helped make that, imo, an time top 10 hip hop song. Great track.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J Dog said:

The beat on Dope Man is just nasty. That was a song back in the day that everyone played when they got big speakers or a new system in their ride. It’s really the perfect song for that. I’ve heard a ton of rap beats from big speakers, Dope Man is one of the best ever.

And yeah that sample. Don’t you love a well used sample? First it can elevate a beat to greatness. But the creative part too. What made Dre remember that Ohio Players song and think, this would sound great in the middle of those hard beats on Dope Man. Know what I mean? Like who said, hey that song we got about being all paranoid and shit, it would go great with that old Isaac Hayes song from 1974 :lol: Always thought that was cool.

^^^^That sample helped make that, imo, an time top 10 hip hop song. Great track.

And thats the fuckin art of sampling, not wholesale thievery as the naysayers of hip hop call it but taking that shit somewhere that the original makers and appreciaters of it could never have dreamed of it going.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

And thats the fuckin art of sampling, not wholesale thievery as the naysayers of hip hop call it but taking that shit somewhere that the original makers and appreciaters of it could never have dreamed of it going.

Exactly. I always felt that people who talked that way just don’t get it. It’s not just some copycat, stealing b.s. It’s a well thought out and crafted thing. It’s taking music from sometimes a completely different type of song and making it work.

This song was already all types of great, but they added the freaking Inspector Gadget theme song in there and it’s  become a classic hip hop moment. Everybody loves it. And Slick Rick has to be the most sampled rapper. I think every big rapper has sampled something from him.

Beatles trivia: find Ricky D singing a piece of one of their songs.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Silverburst80 said:

Man these St Ides beer commercials were insane, the shit these rappers put out just for a commercial shits on anything going around today. Am i living in past?, yeah but fuck it shit was just better then.

And they’re really rapping too :lol: like legit bars and beats. One of my boys back in the day had the poster with Pac and Snoop on it.

• Like 1