Is this Axl's essay real?

Sad that we never got to see the vision for this album come to fruition. It seems Axl got in his own way on this thing. Somewhere down the road he started making excuses for why things couldn't go his way instead of pursuing that dream. Yea maybe CD wasn't the best album ever made like many thought it should be, but I still feel it was Axl's project and I looked forward to what he would bring. Looking back at what has leaked and what we have received so far in terms of official releases, I can't help but feel let down by what could have been. I feel like I received 15% of Axl's vision.

He gave up on the fans, the label, the name (GNR), and he basically has said he's done. He started hiding behind sunglasses, coats and hats. He sticks to the classics at shows bc it's an easy sell. He stopped pursuing the vision of Chinese Democracy and moved on to what's easy. It's a shame because we look forward to a rare CD song being played like Prostitute or There was a Time, instead of getting giddy about a AFD song being played for the first time in a while.

Yea Axl doesn't owe me anything or any of us really. He didn't owe us the greatest album of all time, but at one time I felt like he was trying to achieve that. Maybe it was for himself or maybe it was for us. Somewhere down the line he got lost though. The thing is CD didn't have to be the greatest album ever, we just wanted his vision, but we only got a portion of that vision.

In this aspect I feel let down as a fan. I know this is all a little off topic but the whole red hand booklet and missing albums from the "trilogy" just make me feel like something went wrong. I just hope Axl finds his way again. I think the vision can be brought back to life.

I'll be here waiting like the rest, but I'm not sure for what. Maybe Axl feels we gave up on him. I guess, a trip here would be a wake up call.

• Like 1

What makes it political is that it is so personal. Its a micro to macro application. What I take away from it all is achieving progress through confrontation. Its applicaple on a personal and poltical level. Its downright Biblical when you really take a good look and listen.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

Sad that we never got to see the vision for this album come to fruition. It seems Axl got in his own way on this thing. Somewhere down the road he started making excuses for why things couldn't go his way instead of pursuing that dream. Yea maybe CD wasn't the best album ever made like many thought it should be, but I still feel it was Axl's project and I looked forward to what he would bring. Looking back at what has leaked and what we have received so far in terms of official releases, I can't help but feel let down by what could have been. I feel like I received 15% of Axl's vision.

He gave up on the fans, the label, the name (GNR), and he basically has said he's done. He started hiding behind sunglasses, coats and hats. He sticks to the classics at shows bc it's an easy sell. He stopped pursuing the vision of Chinese Democracy and moved on to what's easy. It's a shame because we look forward to a rare CD song being played like Prostitute or There was a Time, instead of getting giddy about a AFD song being played for the first time in a while.

Yea Axl doesn't owe me anything or any of us really. He didn't owe us the greatest album of all time, but at one time I felt like he was trying to achieve that. Maybe it was for himself or maybe it was for us. Somewhere down the line he got lost though. The thing is CD didn't have to be the greatest album ever, we just wanted his vision, but we only got a portion of that vision.

In this aspect I feel let down as a fan. I know this is all a little off topic but the whole red hand booklet and missing albums from the "trilogy" just make me feel like something went wrong. I just hope Axl finds his way again. I think the vision can be brought back to life.

I'll be here waiting like the rest, but I'm not sure for what. Maybe Axl feels we gave up on him. I guess, a trip here would be a wake up call.

:(

my feelings too... except that I never hoped for ChinDem to be the "greatest album ever made". Being a person into art and trying hard to be an artist myself, I know that is impossible, it doesn't exist and there will never be a greatest anything regarding to art. It is what it is. Actually, the things I admire the most are the least popular when it comes to audiences.

I'm sad this essay and the rest of the artwork never made it to the fans. I'm sad Axl didn't go around talking more about what ChinDem means but I also wonder if he was allowed, because probably when he wanted to come back to the scene, all media wanted was for him to talk about his stuff with Slash and since he didn't want to do that, they blocked anything related to ChinDem.

I don't know... really don't know what happened and if it's even fair to say Axl gave up... I guess Slash is right when he says Axl stands up for stuff to the point of autosabotage and auto-damage. A lot of potential wasted, as we see from the outside, however none of us are in his shoes, we can only assume shit and will never know what goes behind in his life. The man is only human after all. :shrugs:

I get what your saying tinyrobot and I also don't think it's exactly fair to blame Axl. However, I guess I was hoping he would relentlessly pursue making the vision a reality. No matter what it took, even if he had to take GNR back a few steps to go forward. He had the resources to do anything and I know there were roadblocks but I feel he could have pushed through.

What ended up happening is he's lost that passion for the vision of what was CD and now GNR has stumbled more than a few steps back. People have 0 respect for these guys now. It bothers me. I want Axl to succeed in this. He's too damn good of an artist to be sitting at his house wondering what could have been with NuGNR.

By caving in to playing the classics and having no future for the current band it ended up hurting the band more than if they had gone out to a concert and played everything but the hits. Just new material the whole show, like a fresh band. At first it would have been a backlash, but it would have made the new band stronger and built a better legacy. It would have been easier in the long run to finish this brilliant, intriguing, and in my opinion captivating attempt at turning CD into this massive trilogy with documentaries booklets, back stories, concert dvd's, and whatever else the guy dreamed up but gave up on.

It seems so lost now, but really there's still one guy who can bring it all back. And I wouldn't put it past him to do it. But that's the fan inside me. Reality is telling me he gave up some time ago.

• Like 1

I get what your saying tinyrobot and I also don't think it's exactly fair to blame Axl. However, I guess I was hoping he would relentlessly pursue making the vision a reality. No matter what it took, even if he had to take GNR back a few steps to go forward. He had the resources to do anything and I know there were roadblocks but I feel he could have pushed through.

What ended up happening is he's lost that passion for the vision of what was CD and now GNR has stumbled more than a few steps back. People have 0 respect for these guys now. It bothers me. I want Axl to succeed in this. He's too damn good of an artist to be sitting at his house wondering what could have been with NuGNR.

By caving in to playing the classics and having no future for the current band it ended up hurting the band more than if they had gone out to a concert and played everything but the hits. Just new material the whole show, like a fresh band. At first it would have been a backlash, but it would have made the new band stronger and built a better legacy. It would have been easier in the long run to finish this brilliant, intriguing, and in my opinion captivating attempt at turning CD into this massive trilogy with documentaries booklets, back stories, concert dvd's, and whatever else the guy dreamed up but gave up on.

It seems so lost now, but really there's still one guy who can bring it all back. And I wouldn't put it past him to do it. But that's the fan inside me. Reality is telling me he gave up some time ago.

I totally agree with this, great post