What are you currently playing? Last game played?

16 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I've got it on steam but I haven't started playing it yet, sorry. I really need to get the appropriate USB port for my Bluetooth antenna thing so I can get an Xbox One S controller. Some games just don't feel right with keyboard and mouse.

So far it’s pretty awesome, with the only exception being the difficulty. But again, I could be doing the entire game wrong for all I know.

18 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Anyone ever play Sleeping Dogs? I’m really enjoying it but I am getting my ass kicked and it’s hard to beat a lot of the fighting missions. Am I just awful or am I supposed to be looking for upgrades first or what’s the deal?

I got it on Steam last year and played through it last November. Really, really liked it, the combat was my favourite part! Have you got the Definitive Edition? There's some DLC that was really cool, especially one that takes place on an island...

Speaking of open-world crime games, currently playing Yakuza 0 on PC and loving this even more! There's no driving and you can't beat up random civilians but those were never things I really wanted to do anyway :P The main story so far is pretty good but it's the side/substories that have me in stitches. My neighbours probably think I'm a maniac for laughing like a madman on my own :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Amir said:

I got it on Steam last year and played through it last November. Really, really liked it, the combat was my favourite part! Have you got the Definitive Edition? There's some DLC that was really cool, especially one that takes place on an island...

Speaking of open-world crime games, currently playing Yakuza 0 on PC and loving this even more! There's no driving and you can't beat up random civilians but those were never things I really wanted to do anyway :P The main story so far is pretty good but it's the side/substories that have me in stitches. My neighbours probably think I'm a maniac for laughing like a madman on my own :lol: 

I enjoy the combat, I’m just really bad at it and am struggling to beat the levels :/

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I enjoy the combat, I’m just really bad at it and am struggling to beat the levels :/

Have you tried lowering it to Easy difficulty? I also find wearing Vigilante outfit that increases the amount of time you have to counter helps:

latest?cb=20130125214614

10 minutes ago, Amir said:

Have you tried lowering it to Easy difficulty? I also find wearing Vigilante outfit that increases the amount of time you have to counter helps:

latest?cb=20130125214614

Huh, didn’t know you could lower the difficulty! Idk if I would- I almost think I’d want to try to beat it with trial and error. Here’s a question for you- is it in my interest to go around the map looking for the mini health statues to raise my maximum health?

49 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Huh, didn’t know you could lower the difficulty! Idk if I would- I almost think I’d want to try to beat it with trial and error. Here’s a question for you- is it in my interest to go around the map looking for the mini health statues to raise my maximum health?

Yeah I got quite a few of those health upgrades, never bothered maxing them out, though. I paid £2 for the Definitive Edition and I definitely got a lot of bang for my buck. I recommend doing some training at the kung fu school if you're struggling, as well.

2 minutes ago, Amir said:

Yeah I got quite a few of those health upgrades, never bothered maxing them out, though. I paid £2 for the Definitive Edition and I definitely got a lot of bang for my buck. I recommend doing some training at the kung fu school if you're struggling, as well.

Thanks man, will do! This is a game I definitely want to see through to the end and am enjoying the hell out of so far. Very reminsicent of a GTA game more than an RPG, which caught me off guard because well, it’s Square Enix.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:56 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Sunk another 2 hours into Sleeping Dogs last night. The combat ain’t too bad, I really sat down and learned exactly how to do it. I can’t get enough of this game! Incredibly fun and good experience.

There are some great finishing moves as well! About to start the single player for Battlefield 1 myself.

• GNFNR 1

I tried out the Valkyria Chronicles 4 demo. It's a lot of fun. It's very similar to the first game in the series, which is a good thing imo after they went off course a bit (especially with Azure Revolution). Full game releases on the 25th and I'm actually looking forward to it now.

Also started playing a Pokemon Crystal romhack called Pokemon Crystal Clear which is pretty awesome. Basically changes Crystal into an open world adventure version of Pokemon. You can start in either Kanto or Johto and do gyms in any order you want (the levels/evolutions of the gym leaders change depending on how many badges you've collected). They added a second harder version of the Elite 4 after you clear it once. There's also a lot of quality of life changes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LightningBolt said:

Also started playing a Pokemon Crystal romhack called Pokemon Crystal Clear which is pretty awesome. Basically changes Crystal into an open world adventure version of Pokemon. You can start in either Kanto or Johto and do gyms in any order you want (the levels/evolutions of the gym leaders change depending on how many badges you've collected). They added a second harder version of the Elite 4 after you clear it once. There's also a lot of quality of life changes.

Sounds cool. I sort of forgot about Pokemon.

I've played everything through Ruby/Sapphire. Anything after worth playing? I haven't followed it.

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

That sounds fucking cool. Do you guys think emulation is safe security wise like no viruses or whatever? I'd love to emulate a bunch of SNES and 3DS games in particular.

Can’t promise that you wouldn’t get a virus. I’ve ruined my fair share of PC’s over the years from downloading emus. However I’m sure a techy person would be able to explain how to emulate something without that being an issue.

11 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Sounds cool. I sort of forgot about Pokemon.

I've played everything through Ruby/Sapphire. Anything after worth playing? I haven't followed it.

I'm personally a big fan of Black/White. They decided to do a completely new generation of Pokemon for that one, so you can only catch the new ones. It's one of the best generations in terms of new ones as a result and just feels pretty unique compared to the others. I think the others are mostly skippable, although the remakes of Ruby/Sapphire (OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire) and Gold/Silver (HeartGold and SoulSilver) are really good as well.

5 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

That sounds fucking cool. Do you guys think emulation is safe security wise like no viruses or whatever? I'd love to emulate a bunch of SNES and 3DS games in particular.

It's certainly possible to download viruses if you find a bad site or something, but all you really need is to find a good site. Unfortunately the site I used to use stopped hosting ROMs. The emulators themselves are very easy to find, it's mostly just about finding the best one for that system. Usually if I'm looking for a new site for something like this I tend to see if the topic has come up recently on some kind of emulator-focused subreddit or something and see what they have to say there.

8 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Okay fuck that I'm not risking it. It's a shame my laptop died because I could've used that. Have you seen the 3DS emulator? It's pretty sweet.

It looks damn awesome! The graphics kick the OG consoles ass to oblivion. Too bad my laptop can barely run pong or else I’d shoot for it. I’ve never played Pokémon X and Y or Suns and Moons (in depth at least) and wouldn’t mind giving it a spin on emulation.

On 9/6/2018 at 4:43 PM, OmarBradley said:

Battlefield V open beta. Spent about 2 hours playing conquest on the two available maps. A lot of fun, feels like Battlefield for sure, but with some new twists. I'm excited to keep playing and see how release goes.

Beta is over. I am still optimistic about this game, but there are some issues.

Although I've read about a slew of bugs, server crashings, and other oddities, I didn't really experience any of that. Maybe a few bugs here and there, but nothing gamebreaking and certainly no server crashes. Had a few FPS drops, but that could have been latency as I'm playing on WiFi.

My biggest issue by far is the "attrition system." Basically, you spawn with very low ammo (two mags total for your standard assault rifle) and your health takes a long time to recover if you've been hit. I don't have a problem with these concepts by themselves, but it doesn't work in regular mode IMO. These are elements from hardcore mode (which I generally prefer playing). In hardcore mode, where the TTK is quicker than regular mode, low ammo and no health recovery works very well.  But it worries me that hardcore elements are being brought into normal mode, as HC was not even part of BF1 on release and when it finally was rolled out, it was problematic and had to be patched several times. By the time it was finalized, I'd already lost interest in BF1. Very worried we won't see HC at all in BFV, and this weird mix of HC and standard will be the only option.

In the beta, so many of my deaths were due to me having to pull up the minimap, re-strategize, leave my position, and try to reach ammo across the street/river/hill/etc.. So I'm running around with a pistol, hoping an enemy with a primary weapon ammo doesn't spot me. Sometimes I'm luckily near a supply cache or sometimes a squad mate with ammo is nearby, but not always.

I'll admit, if you're playing with a properly balanced squad (class-wise) that coordinates together and does voice and plays the "right way," this issue is not as prominent. But if I had to guess, it's not a majority of the playerbase that plays like that. 

DICE is looking into increasing the spawned ammo count, so that's a good step in the right direction. 

The next issue is the progression/unlock system. It's just not good. It's simplified from previous BF games and it limits the player's creativity and options. And as of beta at least, you can't make any changes in game, you have to exit the server and go into "My Company" on the main menu. The BF3/4 systems were terrific. I don't remember what BF1's was like. 

I'll still probably get this on release, as the gameplay was very fun overall, despite my grievances. 

EDIT: Right, and the revive mechanic is my only other major area of disappointment. It's still a bit buggy and haphazard at times. But more significantly, you spend far too long dead. And it's annoying to hold down a mouse button to speed up the process - a toggle should be enough. You spend ~7 seconds (estimate) dead on the ground waiting for a revive, then another ~7 in the deploy menu before you can spawn. 15 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but in a fast-paced shooter, it feels like a lot of time spent not in-game.

Edited by OmarBradley

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, OmarBradley said:

Beta is over. I am still optimistic about this game, but there are some issues.

Although I've read about a slew of bugs, server crashings, and other oddities, I didn't really experience any of that. Maybe a few bugs here and there, but nothing gamebreaking and certainly no server crashes. Had a few FPS drops, but that could have been latency as I'm playing on WiFi.

My biggest issue by far is the "attrition system." Basically, you spawn with very low ammo (two mags total for your standard assault rifle) and your health takes a long time to recover if you've been hit. I don't have a problem with these concepts by themselves, but it doesn't work in regular mode IMO. These are elements from hardcore mode (which I generally prefer playing). In hardcore mode, where the TTK is quicker than regular mode, low ammo and no health recovery works very well.  But it worries me that hardcore elements are being brought into normal mode, as HC was not even part of BF1 on release and when it finally was rolled out, it was problematic and had to be patched several times. By the time it was finalized, I'd already lost interest in BF1. Very worried we won't see HC at all in BFV, and this weird mix of HC and standard will be the only option.

In the beta, so many of my deaths were due to me having to pull up the minimap, re-strategize, leave my position, and try to reach ammo across the street/river/hill/etc.. So I'm running around with a pistol, hoping an enemy with a primary weapon ammo doesn't spot me. Sometimes I'm luckily near a supply cache or sometimes a squad mate with ammo is nearby, but not always.

I'll admit, if you're playing with a properly balanced squad (class-wise) that coordinates together and does voice and plays the "right way," this issue is not as prominent. But if I had to guess, it's not a majority of the playerbase that plays like that. 

DICE is looking into increasing the spawned ammo count, so that's a good step in the right direction. 

The next issue is the progression/unlock system. It's just not good. It's simplified from previous BF games and it limits the player's creativity and options. And as of beta at least, you can't make any changes in game, you have to exit the server and go into "My Company" on the main menu. The BF3/4 systems were terrific. I don't remember what BF1's was like. 

I'll still probably get this on release, as the gameplay was very fun overall, despite my grievances. 

EDIT: Right, and the revive mechanic is my only other major area of disappointment. It's still a bit buggy and haphazard at times. But more significantly, you spend far too long dead. And it's annoying to hold down a mouse button to speed up the process - a toggle should be enough. You spend ~7 seconds (estimate) dead on the ground waiting for a revive, then another ~7 in the deploy menu before you can spawn. 15 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but in a fast-paced shooter, it feels like a lot of time spent not in-game.

Is attrition mode a new gameplay option, like CTF or Domination, or is it a mechanic that is just a part of the game now?

Finally started BF1 singleplayer last night, having a great time with it! Played a conquest match to finish the night off and also had a good time (on some snow/castle map). Still can't get over the announcer woman calling Alpha "Apples" and Bravo "Butter", it really annoys me for some reason...

On 9/19/2018 at 9:02 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

Finally started BF1 singleplayer last night, having a great time with it! Played a conquest match to finish the night off and also had a good time (on some snow/castle map). Still can't get over the announcer woman calling Alpha "Apples" and Bravo "Butter", it really annoys me for some reason...

I've been playing BF4 since the V beta ended, and I am having a GREAT time. Forgot how much fun this game was. Odd that a game that's now three iterations old in the series has more complicated mechanics than the recent two. I suppose there was far less tech involved in WWI and WWII, but I feel like two historical games in a row is a bit much,

I'm eager for World War 3, will probably do early access when it's ready.