What are you currently playing? Last game played?

9 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

The Witcher 3 Game of the Year Edition. Got it in the Steam sale.

I'm only a few hours in but can already tell it's gonna be great. I have a feeling you'll love it @wasted

Is it for 360? I’ll look out for Witcher  in the second hand bins. 

On 12/31/2018 at 8:01 PM, wasted said:

I somehow got my sister killed but I’m living in a mansion. I keep pressing the joke option, does it make any difference what decisions you make? 

I actually manage to control my whole team to defeat this ancient wraith thing. It kept nuking the area. 

I also realised I’ve been running around with much better weapons and armour in my back pack. And leveling up is manual too. 

I’ll probably get origins and inquisition if I see them somewhere. Maybe Mass Effect 2. 

I'm pretty sure one sibling has to die - if not a sibling, someone definitely dies in that intro, so you didn't do anything wrong, I don't think.

I believe DA:II works similar to Mass Effect's system where standard dialogue choices color how your character is viewed/acts, and then there are set story decisions that change either the process in getting to an outcome or the outcome itself of an event. Unsurprising given DA:II would have come out as BioWare's next release after ME:II.

11 hours ago, wasted said:

Is it for 360? I’ll look out for Witcher  in the second hand bins. 

Yes, should be for 360. Also, The Witcher II is well worth playing as well and should be for 360 - it's much less open world and a lot more streamlined (hesitant to use linear because you can wander certain areas). But CDPR's narrative abilities are quite strong in the second Witcher game, and combat/other game mechanics are well polished. It was good enough in fact that the prime minister of Poland (at the time) gave a copy to Obama when they met.

Edited by OmarBradley

12 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I'm pretty sure one sibling has to die - if not a sibling, someone definitely dies in that intro, so you didn't do anything wrong, I don't think.

I believe DA:II works similar to Mass Effect's system where standard dialogue choices color how your character is viewed/acts, and then there are set story decisions that change either the process in getting to an outcome or the outcome itself of an event. Unsurprising given DA:II would have come out as BioWare's next release after ME:II.

Yes, should be for 360. Also, The Witcher II is well worth playing as well and should be for 360 - it's much less open world and a lot more streamlined (hesitant to use linear because you can wander certain areas). But CDPR's narrative abilities are quite strong in the second Witcher game, and combat/other game mechanics are well polished. It was good enough in fact that the prime minister of Poland (at the time) gave a copy to Obama when they met.

Witcher 2 is on play-asia.com. Far Cry 2 is on gold this month so I’ll give that a go. I’m sort of into warriors and mage mode though. 

17 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I beat and 100%ed GTA V on PS4.

It's an interesting case study. You can see Rockstar losing their touch and adopting poor gameplay/storytelling tendencies that are fully in-play in Red Dead 2.

-

I don't want to be all religious on you guys but if you don't buy The Witcher 3 Complete Edition for $20, you're gonna burn in hell for eternity. It's in the bible. 

Seriously though. $20 for a low bar of 100 hours of gameplay. That's $0.20 per hour. 

Do you hate the Polish @wasted?

I'm pretty sure this guy hates the Polish.

Not that I’m aware of. What is Polish?

Giving Shenmue another chance. Didn’t enjoy it at first but it’s odd. With retrospect and time over a month break I slowly respected and enjoyed the game more and felt this urge to go back and finish it. Now I’m hooked. It’s an oddly genius game and I’ve never had such an interesting experience with a piece of media than this game.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:27 PM, OmarBradley said:

Playing HeartGold for the first time, played Gold/Silver/Emerald years ago.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are among one of my favorite Pokémon games. They are very well done remakes. 

I'm playing New Super Mario U Deluxe. I like Mario 2D games, but my biggest complaint is that you have to get to a checkpoint to save. I find myself trying to get there instead of casually enjoying the game. You would think Nintendo would have changed this after twenty or so years.

Switch is awesome though. I hope they make abother 3D world. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

HeartGold and SoulSilver are among one of my favorite Pokémon games. They are very well done remakes. 

I'm playing New Super Mario U Deluxe. I like Mario 2D games, but my biggest complaint is that you have to get to a checkpoint to save. I find myself trying to get there instead of casually enjoying the game. You would think Nintendo would have changed this after twenty or so years.

Switch is awesome though. I hope they make abother 3D world. 

I was greatly enjoying my playthrough, but apparently the iOS DS emu is not approved by Apple, meaning you can only use the app for X amount of days (7 or less, seems random but always less than a week). The workaround is to delete it and reinstall, which I've done once without issue, but just I spent the last 45 minutes fighting the reinstalled emulator to get it to recognize my saves, without success. Just beat the E4 too, not interested in starting over. Very annoying. I've always disliked Apple for reasons like this, among other things.

• Sad 1

I got the Jurassic World Evolution game on Humble Bundle for $12 when I preordered Resident Evil 2.  Thought it might help me kill the interminable wait for RE2.  It's pretty fucking addicting.  If you like sim games, this is some top shelf shit.  It's back to $50 now, though.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:22 PM, OmarBradley said:

I was greatly enjoying my playthrough, but apparently the iOS DS emu is not approved by Apple, meaning you can only use the app for X amount of days (7 or less, seems random but always less than a week). The workaround is to delete it and reinstall, which I've done once without issue, but just I spent the last 45 minutes fighting the reinstalled emulator to get it to recognize my saves, without success. Just beat the E4 too, not interested in starting over. Very annoying. I've always disliked Apple for reasons like this, among other things.

I have resolved this issue. Took several hours altogether, two third party applications, and lots of finagling of iOS, but I can resume my game!

On 1/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, OmarBradley said:

I have resolved this issue. Took several hours altogether, two third party applications, and lots of finagling of iOS, but I can resume my game!

Having problems again. I actually stepped back on HeartGold to play the two Fire Emblem remakes for DS. Very much enjoying New Mystery, but again I am finding myself fighting iTunes, iOS, and my iPod to get it to run. Not a hardware capacity issue at all, just an "Apple are tech Nazis" issue.

EDIT: Fixed. I guess it will become a bit redundant if I make the same post weekly, so instead, just assume roughly once a week I have to do battle with Apple tech. :lol:

Edited by OmarBradley

12 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Do you play on a console?  Anyone following the drama surrounding Metro being moved off Steam?

PC. I'm annoyed. I don't like these dedicated launchers. Uplay is the only one that runs OK. Origin is a bloated mess and Bethesda's is a joke (unsurprisingly). I guess I'll have to download the Epic Games launcher for Metro. 

10 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I would strongly suggest holding off on Anthem. It looks terrible. I bet launch will be a disaster. Plagued with issues and micro-transaction nonsense.

I use Steam so want it on there and might wait for it to be on there next year. I think people are being a bit cunty and over the top by review bombing even the other games. Regardless of them doing this deal too close to release 4A Games is a deserving and hardworking studio. Steam needs to offer fairer revenue sharing.

Yeah I heard bad things about the demo and the gameplay I saw didn't look like what I thought it would be. It looks like a combination of ME:A and DA:I with the shooting mechanics of the former and the cacophony of colors and button mashing of the latter. Not sure that's going to be a formula for success, for me at least. I'd have preferred something with a heavier and more impactful feel for combat (like Metro actually), but I haven't played yet myself, so we'll see.

I agree the reaction is perhaps a bit disproportional - but gamers are so sick of MTX and launchers and shitty practices that anything controversial blows up pretty rapidly. Can't say I have too much sympathy tbh.

From what I've heard, Steam's revenue model is pretty fair - they take 30% of sales. I read that retail stores take around 47%. I see from a business sense it makes sense to try to capture that 30%, but is the bad press worth it? We'll find out I guess.

EDIT: Although, 4A Games is not providing the launcher... Epic is, so Epic must be taking a cut of sales too. It makes sense to me to have your own launcher if you're publishing the game yourself, but what's the point if someone else is publishing and taking a cut anyway? Feels like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

Edited by OmarBradley

5 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

PC. I'm annoyed. I don't like these dedicated launchers. Uplay is the only one that runs OK. Origin is a bloated mess and Bethesda's is a joke (unsurprisingly). I guess I'll have to download the Epic Games launcher for Metro. 

Yeah I heard bad things about the demo and the gameplay I saw didn't look like what I thought it would be. It looks like a combination of ME:A and DA:I with the shooting mechanics of the former and the cacophony of colors and button mashing of the latter. Not sure that's going to be a formula for success, for me at least. I'd have preferred something with a heavier and more impactful feel for combat (like Metro actually), but I haven't played yet myself, so we'll see.

I agree the reaction is perhaps a bit disproportional - but gamers are so sick of MTX and launchers and shitty practices that anything controversial blows up pretty rapidly. Can't say I have too much sympathy tbh.

From what I've heard, Steam's revenue model is pretty fair - they take 30% of sales. I read that retail stores take around 47%. I see from a business sense it makes sense to try to capture that 30%, but is the bad press worth it? We'll find out I guess.

EDIT: Although, 4A Games is not providing the launcher... Epic is, so Epic must be taking a cut of sales too. It makes sense to me to have your own launcher if you're publishing the game yourself, but what's the point if someone else is publishing and taking a cut anyway? Feels like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

As I understand it, Epic's storefront takes less, and this apparently makes it very attractive.  The flip-side seems to be that people hate the Epic launcher because it's 40% owned by tencent, and tencent is apparently the devil.  Hard to get solid info on it though.

2 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

As I understand it, Epic's storefront takes less, and this apparently makes it very attractive.  The flip-side seems to be that people hate the Epic launcher because it's 40% owned by tencent, and tencent is apparently the devil.  Hard to get solid info on it though.

I do not have a fond view of Tencent. I believe they recently became a significant stakeholder in Ubisoft, as if Ubisoft wasn't bad enough about MTX/monetization already. It's alleged the Tencent takeover led to some design choices with For Honor that split the community (I haven't played in months due to these changes).

I'm skeptical of any company that cares more about making money than creating good games. They don't treat games as art, but as revenue generators. If those two ideologies had been kept separate and only mobile games and MMOs had their design affected by revenue generating strategies, I wouldn't have as big of a problem with the mentality. But when RPGs, immersive FPSs, simulators, etc. are being monetized in a way that changes game design, that's a problem for me. So yeah, fuck Tencent.

I'm replaying Dragon Age: Origins and I was enjoying it quite a bit, but for some reason I haven't loaded it up in about a week and I don't really feel compelled to do so. I've played through several times before, and while I tried to shake things up with a lot of mods, I'm finding myself doing a pretty similar playthrough (in regards to choices/factions) that I do every time.

I know of the Gothic series, and I am thinking of getting Gothic 3 and modding it to make it a bit more modern. Anyone play those games?

I did try ELEX (same studio as Gothic, I believe) and I did not like it at all, but I didn't give it that fair of a chance either and my expectations weren't aligned with what the game turned out to be.

7 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Kingdom Hearts 3. 

The game is a big disappointment for me. It hasn’t really been any fun to play and seems to lack the charm of the other games. 

Really?  I'm not a fan, but my dad, (who is 79!) really liked the series.  He doesn't even know there is a 3, only plays what I get him, but that's a disappointment.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, OmarBradley said:

I'm replaying Dragon Age: Origins and I was enjoying it quite a bit, but for some reason I haven't loaded it up in about a week and I don't really feel compelled to do so. I've played through several times before, and while I tried to shake things up with a lot of mods, I'm finding myself doing a pretty similar playthrough (in regards to choices/factions) that I do every time.

I know of the Gothic series, and I am thinking of getting Gothic 3 and modding it to make it a bit more modern. Anyone play those games?

I did try ELEX (same studio as Gothic, I believe) and I did not like it at all, but I didn't give it that fair of a chance either and my expectations weren't aligned with what the game turned out to be.

I loved the Gothic series when it was new.  Not sure I could play it now, even with updated visuals, I remember it as really true open world where there were not a lot of hints or any guide, just go do wtf ever you want.  I find those games overwhelming in my gaming twilight years.  Good, underrated series though.