James Bond

What are you currently playing? Last game played?

On 1/19/2019 at 6:22 PM, OmarBradley said:

I was greatly enjoying my playthrough, but apparently the iOS DS emu is not approved by Apple, meaning you can only use the app for X amount of days (7 or less, seems random but always less than a week). The workaround is to delete it and reinstall, which I've done once without issue, but just I spent the last 45 minutes fighting the reinstalled emulator to get it to recognize my saves, without success. Just beat the E4 too, not interested in starting over. Very annoying. I've always disliked Apple for reasons like this, among other things.

I have resolved this issue. Took several hours altogether, two third party applications, and lots of finagling of iOS, but I can resume my game!

• GNFNR 1

On 1/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, OmarBradley said:

I have resolved this issue. Took several hours altogether, two third party applications, and lots of finagling of iOS, but I can resume my game!

Having problems again. I actually stepped back on HeartGold to play the two Fire Emblem remakes for DS. Very much enjoying New Mystery, but again I am finding myself fighting iTunes, iOS, and my iPod to get it to run. Not a hardware capacity issue at all, just an "Apple are tech Nazis" issue.

EDIT: Fixed. I guess it will become a bit redundant if I make the same post weekly, so instead, just assume roughly once a week I have to do battle with Apple tech. :lol:

Edited by OmarBradley

Just a few weeks until both Metro and Anthem drop. Very excited for the former, cautiously optimistic for the latter.

3 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Just a few weeks until both Metro and Anthem drop. Very excited for the former, cautiously optimistic for the latter.

Do you play on a console?  Anyone following the drama surrounding Metro being moved off Steam?

5 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I would strongly suggest holding off on Anthem. It looks terrible. I bet launch will be a disaster. Plagued with issues and micro-transaction nonsense.

1 hour ago, DeadSlash said:

Do you play on a console?  Anyone following the drama surrounding Metro being moved off Steam?

I use Steam so want it on there and might wait for it to be on there next year. I think people are being a bit cunty and over the top by review bombing even the other games. Regardless of them doing this deal too close to release 4A Games is a deserving and hardworking studio. Steam needs to offer fairer revenue sharing.

Edited by Oldest Goat
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

PC. I'm annoyed. I don't like these dedicated launchers. Uplay is the only one that runs OK. Origin is a bloated mess and Bethesda's is a joke (unsurprisingly). I guess I'll have to download the Epic Games launcher for Metro. 

10 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I would strongly suggest holding off on Anthem. It looks terrible. I bet launch will be a disaster. Plagued with issues and micro-transaction nonsense.

I use Steam so want it on there and might wait for it to be on there next year. I think people are being a bit cunty and over the top by review bombing even the other games. Regardless of them doing this deal too close to release 4A Games is a deserving and hardworking studio. Steam needs to offer fairer revenue sharing.

Yeah I heard bad things about the demo and the gameplay I saw didn't look like what I thought it would be. It looks like a combination of ME:A and DA:I with the shooting mechanics of the former and the cacophony of colors and button mashing of the latter. Not sure that's going to be a formula for success, for me at least. I'd have preferred something with a heavier and more impactful feel for combat (like Metro actually), but I haven't played yet myself, so we'll see.

I agree the reaction is perhaps a bit disproportional - but gamers are so sick of MTX and launchers and shitty practices that anything controversial blows up pretty rapidly. Can't say I have too much sympathy tbh.

From what I've heard, Steam's revenue model is pretty fair - they take 30% of sales. I read that retail stores take around 47%. I see from a business sense it makes sense to try to capture that 30%, but is the bad press worth it? We'll find out I guess.

EDIT: Although, 4A Games is not providing the launcher... Epic is, so Epic must be taking a cut of sales too. It makes sense to me to have your own launcher if you're publishing the game yourself, but what's the point if someone else is publishing and taking a cut anyway? Feels like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

Edited by OmarBradley

PC. I'm annoyed. I don't like these dedicated launchers. Uplay is the only one that runs OK. Origin is a bloated mess and Bethesda's is a joke (unsurprisingly). I guess I'll have to download the Epic Games launcher for Metro. 

Yeah I heard bad things about the demo and the gameplay I saw didn't look like what I thought it would be. It looks like a combination of ME:A and DA:I with the shooting mechanics of the former and the cacophony of colors and button mashing of the latter. Not sure that's going to be a formula for success, for me at least. I'd have preferred something with a heavier and more impactful feel for combat (like Metro actually), but I haven't played yet myself, so we'll see.

I agree the reaction is perhaps a bit disproportional - but gamers are so sick of MTX and launchers and shitty practices that anything controversial blows up pretty rapidly. Can't say I have too much sympathy tbh.

From what I've heard, Steam's revenue model is pretty fair - they take 30% of sales. I read that retail stores take around 47%. I see from a business sense it makes sense to try to capture that 30%, but is the bad press worth it? We'll find out I guess.

EDIT: Although, 4A Games is not providing the launcher... Epic is, so Epic must be taking a cut of sales too. It makes sense to me to have your own launcher if you're publishing the game yourself, but what's the point if someone else is publishing and taking a cut anyway? Feels like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

As I understand it, Epic's storefront takes less, and this apparently makes it very attractive.  The flip-side seems to be that people hate the Epic launcher because it's 40% owned by tencent, and tencent is apparently the devil.  Hard to get solid info on it though.

2 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

As I understand it, Epic's storefront takes less, and this apparently makes it very attractive.  The flip-side seems to be that people hate the Epic launcher because it's 40% owned by tencent, and tencent is apparently the devil.  Hard to get solid info on it though.

I do not have a fond view of Tencent. I believe they recently became a significant stakeholder in Ubisoft, as if Ubisoft wasn't bad enough about MTX/monetization already. It's alleged the Tencent takeover led to some design choices with For Honor that split the community (I haven't played in months due to these changes).

I'm skeptical of any company that cares more about making money than creating good games. They don't treat games as art, but as revenue generators. If those two ideologies had been kept separate and only mobile games and MMOs had their design affected by revenue generating strategies, I wouldn't have as big of a problem with the mentality. But when RPGs, immersive FPSs, simulators, etc. are being monetized in a way that changes game design, that's a problem for me. So yeah, fuck Tencent.

Currently playing a fan translation of "Sailor Moon: Another Story" on a website that hosts SNES games. I'm up to a part in chapter four where I have to battle the Specter Sisters. 

• Like 1

I'm replaying Dragon Age: Origins and I was enjoying it quite a bit, but for some reason I haven't loaded it up in about a week and I don't really feel compelled to do so. I've played through several times before, and while I tried to shake things up with a lot of mods, I'm finding myself doing a pretty similar playthrough (in regards to choices/factions) that I do every time.

I know of the Gothic series, and I am thinking of getting Gothic 3 and modding it to make it a bit more modern. Anyone play those games?

I did try ELEX (same studio as Gothic, I believe) and I did not like it at all, but I didn't give it that fair of a chance either and my expectations weren't aligned with what the game turned out to be.

Kingdom Hearts 3. 

The game is a big disappointment for me. It hasn’t really been any fun to play and seems to lack the charm of the other games. 

3 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Kingdom Hearts 3. 

The game is a big disappointment for me. It hasn’t really been any fun to play and seems to lack the charm of the other games. 

Sorry to hear that. I had a feeling. Is the story a mess? I hope they put the remaster of the first on PC or Switch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Kingdom Hearts 3. 

Really?  I'm not a fan, but my dad, (who is 79!) really liked the series.  He doesn't even know there is a 3, only plays what I get him, but that's a disappointment.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, OmarBradley said:

I'm replaying Dragon Age: Origins and I was enjoying it quite a bit, but for some reason I haven't loaded it up in about a week and I don't really feel compelled to do so. I've played through several times before, and while I tried to shake things up with a lot of mods, I'm finding myself doing a pretty similar playthrough (in regards to choices/factions) that I do every time.

I know of the Gothic series, and I am thinking of getting Gothic 3 and modding it to make it a bit more modern. Anyone play those games?

I did try ELEX (same studio as Gothic, I believe) and I did not like it at all, but I didn't give it that fair of a chance either and my expectations weren't aligned with what the game turned out to be.

I loved the Gothic series when it was new.  Not sure I could play it now, even with updated visuals, I remember it as really true open world where there were not a lot of hints or any guide, just go do wtf ever you want.  I find those games overwhelming in my gaming twilight years.  Good, underrated series though.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:37 PM, DeadSlash said:

I loved the Gothic series when it was new.  Not sure I could play it now, even with updated visuals, I remember it as really true open world where there were not a lot of hints or any guide, just go do wtf ever you want.  I find those games overwhelming in my gaming twilight years.  Good, underrated series though.

There are a lot of mods that try to modernize Gothic 3, further than visuals. Lots of things that change combat, AI, quests, and general bug fixes. It looks pretty appealing for that open world experience. But I don't think I'm going to get it since Metro and Anthem are right around the corner. Maybe in a few months when I have nothing to play.

I did remember why I stopped playing DA:O, I tried playing last night and it's crashing every 2-3 minutes. Must have to do with the mods I have installed, but I don't want to put in the effort to systematically reinstall everything. 

I did pre-order Metro yesterday, but only because I was able to find a good deal on the Gold edition. Epic Launcher is junk, but I'll deal with it for the game. Metro just looks too damn good. I am worried about performance given Denuvo, though a reviewer noted he had excellent performance on a machine similar to mine. Not sure if press copies are DRM-free though.

I also saw this list of why Epic sucks, and while I think some are a bit unfair and not unique to Epic, there is enough here to show that the experience for the user/customer is demonstrably worse than Steam's:

1) They have terrible security (80 million accounts were exposed last week)
2) They have terrible customer service (just google it)
3) Games are more expensive on Epic due to regional pricing
4) You can't play games offline
5) Limited social features
6) No screenshots
7) No controller support
8) They broke EU laws (and still do)
9) Scummy tactics (you had to tick a box to opt out of emails etc)
10) They are partially owned by Tencent (a company that sells user data to the Chinese government)
11) No achievements
12) No cloud saves
13) No game forums (many people went to steam for subnautica support)
14) Epic make you pay the transaction fee when purchasing games
15)They are anti-consumer (They pay for exclusive rights to games to try and force you to use their store)
16) They can refuse refunds even if you meet the criteria
17) No reviews
18) No Linux support

And there's no preloading on Epic, because the platform can't do it.

Edited by OmarBradley

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

There are a lot of mods that try to modernize Gothic 3, further than visuals. Lots of things that change combat, AI, quests, and general bug fixes. It looks pretty appealing for that open world experience. But I don't think I'm going to get it since Metro and Anthem are right around the corner. Maybe in a few months when I have nothing to play.

I did remember why I stopped playing DA:O, I tried playing last night and it's crashing every 2-3 minutes. Must have to do with the mods I have installed, but I don't want to put in the effort to systematically reinstall everything. 

I did pre-order Metro yesterday, but only because I was able to find a good deal on the Gold edition. Epic Launcher is junk, but I'll deal with it for the game. Metro just looks too damn good. I am worried about performance given Denuvo, though a reviewer noted he had excellent performance on a machine similar to mine. Not sure if press copies are DRM-free though.

I also saw this list of why Epic sucks, and while I think some are a bit unfair and not unique to Epic, there is enough here to show that the experience for the user/customer is demonstrably worse than Steam's:

And there's no preloading on Epic, because the platform can't do it.

Lol wtf. Fucking zero chance of me getting it on their shit store.

Looks like I'll be able to run Metro at fairly high settings at 1440p. A GTX 1080 system benchmarked 60FPS at 1080p on all Ultra settings. I will aim for 40+FPS at 1440p with mostly Ultra/some High settings. 12AM EST is when I can start downloading it. Hopefully I'll get to play tonight.

Looks like I'll be able to run Metro at fairly high settings at 1440p. A GTX 1080 system benchmarked 60FPS at 1080p on all Ultra settings. I will aim for 40+FPS at 1440p with mostly Ultra/some High settings. 12AM EST is when I can start downloading it. Hopefully I'll get to play tonight.

Have fun.  Reviews so far look positive.  IGN rates it as the best Metro game yet.  

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

Have fun.  Reviews so far look positive.  IGN rates it as the best Metro game yet.  

The industry has ruined me.  I approach it with the same level of skepticism I do positive GnR news about an album. Everything points to this being a good game, and all I can think is  "IGN has been bought before."

I have a bad feeling about the game ever since the bullshot reveal where it was the pre-rendered demonstration of the game, but it was presented as "actual game play."  Every company does bullshots, and they walked it back later revealing it wasn't actual gameplay, but there is such a high level of sketch, really interested in how it is, let us know Omar. 

19 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

The industry has ruined me.  I approach it with the same level of skepticism I do positive GnR news about an album. Everything points to this being a good game, and all I can think is  "IGN has been bought before."

I have a bad feeling about the game ever since the bullshot reveal where it was the pre-rendered demonstration of the game, but it was presented as "actual game play."  Every company does bullshots, and they walked it back later revealing it wasn't actual gameplay, but there is such a high level of sketch, really interested in how it is, let us know Omar. 

IGN are fucking morons. Some of their reviews over the years are horrendous.

But I do think Metro Exodus will be good. Shame it won't be on Steam for ages.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, downzy said:

Have tried to avoid reviews to go in 100% blind, but I've seen a few positive mentions. As DeadSlash said, I wouldn't trust IGN as the be-all-end-all. Lots of speculation that gaming journalism is quid pro quo/bought & paid for. I generally look at what the players are saying on forums and Steam reviews, in addition to publication reviews. I definitely expect this to be the best Metro game yet - it's miles ahead of the previous two in terms of versatility. The first two look excellent and have pretty good shooting mechanics, but that's about the extent of what they offer aside from an intriguing story and a few minor interesting game mechanics. I'd say both are worth playing though, especially since they're cheap and can be done in about 12 hours each.

34 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

That was the 2017 reveal, right? In 2018 what they showed (as far as I'm aware) was in game, and it looked very good.

Speaking of reveals vs. releases though, I just watched a comparison video from Anthem's 2017 demo vs. the 2019 public demo (of roughly the same game sequence/content) and holy hell, the 2017 build looked WAY better - notably in lighting, texture fidelity, and NPC design. And it wasn't pre-rendered, as it was a live demonstration of the game. I guess I'll blame this on console optimization? :shrugs:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

Have tried to avoid reviews to go in 100% blind, but I've seen a few positive mentions. As DeadSlash said, I wouldn't trust IGN as the be-all-end-all. Lots of speculation that gaming journalism is quid pro quo/bought & paid for. I generally look at what the players are saying on forums and Steam reviews, in addition to publication reviews. I definitely expect this to be the best Metro game yet - it's miles ahead of the previous two in terms of versatility. The first two look excellent and have pretty good shooting mechanics, but that's about the extent of what they offer aside from an intriguing story and a few minor interesting game mechanics. I'd say both are worth playing though, especially since they're cheap and can be done in about 12 hours each.

That was the 2017 reveal, right? In 2018 what they showed (as far as I'm aware) was in game, and it looked very good.

Speaking of reveals vs. releases though, I just watched a comparison video from Anthem's 2017 demo vs. the 2019 public demo (of roughly the same game sequence/content) and holy hell, the 2017 build looked WAY better - notably in lighting, texture fidelity, and NPC design. And it wasn't pre-rendered, as it was a live demonstration of the game. I guess I'll blame this on console optimization? :shrugs:

Yeah, I think it was 2017, it was the very first video of it, the player is moving super slow, and when he loots ammo, it's like a whole long animation, with dust falling off the ammo box and he's like shaking it off.  Another part where they shoot a wolf with an arrow, retrieving the arrow after the kill is fully animated with your player bending over and yanking the arrow out of the wolf.  I got into a huge flame war on the Steam forums over it because I made the point that it was scripted, and not gameplay.  I got my ass handed to me.  This was long before Steam decided Metro was the devil because of the Epic store.

I wasn't saying the game would be bad, I wasn't saying even saying negative shit like "this reveal is a lie!" I was just pointing out it wasn't actual gameplay.  It's a good thing it WASN'T gameplay. If they had those animations, the game would be boring af.  It took like 3-4 seconds to pick up ammo.  30% of your game would have been watching the "picking up ammo" animations.  Those parts might even still be in the game, but it would be a scripted bit at the beginning, not gameplay.  I've seen the final product, and you loot like you did in the old ones, you click the loot button and it shows what you looted on the right hand of the screen.  Sometimes the corpse rolls, but it doesn't slow you down.

15 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Yeah, I think it was 2017, it was the very first video of it, the player is moving super slow, and when he loots ammo, it's like a whole long animation, with dust falling off the ammo box and he's like shaking it off.  Another part where they shoot a wolf with an arrow, retrieving the arrow after the kill is fully animated with your player bending over and yanking the arrow out of the wolf.  I got into a huge flame war on the Steam forums over it because I made the point that it was scripted, and not gameplay.  I got my ass handed to me.  This was long before Steam decided Metro was the devil because of the Epic store.

I wasn't saying the game would be bad, I wasn't saying even saying negative shit like "this reveal is a lie!" I was just pointing out it wasn't actual gameplay.  It's a good thing it WASN'T gameplay. If they had those animations, the game would be boring af.  It took like 3-4 seconds to pick up ammo.  30% of your game would have been watching the "picking up ammo" animations.  Those parts might even still be in the game, but it would be a scripted bit at the beginning, not gameplay.  I've seen the final product, and you loot like you did in the old ones, you click the loot button and it shows what you looted on the right hand of the screen.  Sometimes the corpse rolls, but it doesn't slow you down.

A tragic example of pre-release vs released product is BioShock Infinite. Just look at the early trailers. It was going to be a wonderfully dark BioShock in the clouds focusing on criticizing religion and American exceptionalism. Instead we got dumbed down design and gameplay, extreme linearity, cut content and one of the most fucking uninspired, pretentious stories I've ever witnessed. 

I actually hate BioShock Infinite a lot for a bunch of reasons. Like the way the included examples of racism said absolutely nothing apart from a kind of desperately cheap reveling-in-it #Deep beating over the head. 

Edited by Oldest Goat
  • Like 1