James Bond

What are you currently playing? Last game played?

Yeah, I meant Sentinels.  I wonder if I said Lancer because there is something in the game called Lancers, or if I just projected Lancer in as a generic name, because I look at everything's name as generic in Anthem?

Excellent call on the tech being so out of whack, you basically live in a Colonial village, with Colonial tech + futuristic Iron man suits and radios.  I even found a note that remarked on the children making toys out of like potatoes and bird shit.  It's fucking dark ages, and they literally haven't invented the wheel... 

Hilarious side note: Something that jumped out to me as dumb, but I felt it was too nitpicky to mention? The radio shows.  Not the concept that they only have radio shows for entertainment, but the premise of the radio show.  For those not playing, the radio shows are 2 competing soap operas about Javelin life.  Simple enough, Cop dramas are popular in real life, makes sense... here's the problem... in the radio show, the sound effects are all lazer sounds, but there aren't lazer guns in the fing game, so why are there lazer gun noises??  It would be like if you took law and order, or NYPD and kept evert premise exactly the same, meaning they were a "reality based drama" but just swapped out the police guns for lazers… WTF?

@OmarBradley With the strong holds, it might make a difference that I was playing at tier 2 (Grand Master 2.)  I was lucky enough to be on during the loot bonanza "bug" and got enough good loot that night to be able to hang on tier 2, so the majority of my playing end game is there.  I'm shocked you haven't been dropped at the boss fight, because for me, it happens 2/3 times.  Yesterday, the loot spiked up again, not sure if it was a "bug" or if they adjusted it up, but I switched down to tier 1 and it was a lot more fun to play, much quicker, and still more loot than tier 2 was before the adjustment.  The whole reason I did the super grindy and long GM2 runs was because of the increase in loot.  If it bumps up macros the board, I'll stick to 1.

Another problem, that isn't Anthems fault, is that people with garbage equipment queue up to essentially be carried.  Sometimes, I'll be dropped into a tier 2 strong hold with 3 people who's suits are in the 400's or low 500's and they drop immediately.  It's a dead run at that point, because I can do Grand Master 2 without dying, and doing some decent damage, but I can't pass it alone.

PS.  My 2 cents on Reddit: The best thing I ever did, was get out of the reddits.  It was the opposite effect I expected, as I am a far superior informed gamer sans reddit.  While following Reddit might offer the luxury of hearing about something a day or 2 before legitimate media picks up on it, so much of what is said on Reddit is completely false, it's worth it to be 2 days late to the party, knowing I have the correct information.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Yeah, I meant Sentinels.  I wonder if I said Lancer because there is something in the game called Lancers, or if I just projected Lancer in as a generic name, because I look at everything's name as generic in Anthem?

Excellent call on the tech being so out of whack, you basically live in a Colonial village, with Colonial tech + futuristic Iron man suits and radios.  I even found a note that remarked on the children making toys out of like potatoes and bird shit.  It's fucking dark ages, and they literally haven't invented the wheel... 

Hilarious side note: Something that jumped out to me as dumb, but I felt it was too nitpicky to mention? The radio shows.  Not the concept that they only have radio shows for entertainment, but the premise of the radio show.  For those not playing, the radio shows are 2 competing soap operas about Javelin life.  Simple enough, Cop dramas are popular in real life, makes sense... here's the problem... in the radio show, the sound effects are all lazer sounds, but there aren't lazer guns in the fing game, so why are there lazer gun noises??  It would be like if you took law and order, or NYPD and kept evert premise exactly the same, meaning they were a "reality based drama" but just swapped out the police guns for lazers… WTF?

@OmarBradley With the strong holds, it might make a difference that I was playing at tier 2 (Grand Master 2.)  I was lucky enough to be on during the loot bonanza "bug" and got enough good loot that night to be able to hang on tier 2, so the majority of my playing end game is there.  I'm shocked you haven't been dropped at the boss fight, because for me, it happens 2/3 times.  Yesterday, the loot spiked up again, not sure if it was a "bug" or if they adjusted it up, but I switched down to tier 1 and it was a lot more fun to play, much quicker, and still more loot than tier 2 was before the adjustment.  The whole reason I did the super grindy and long GM2 runs was because of the increase in loot.  If it bumps up macros the board, I'll stick to 1.

Another problem, that isn't Anthems fault, is that people with garbage equipment queue up to essentially be carried.  Sometimes, I'll be dropped into a tier 2 strong hold with 3 people who's suits are in the 400's or low 500's and they drop immediately.  It's a dead run at that point, because I can do Grand Master 2 without dying, and doing some decent damage, but I can't pass it alone.

PS.  My 2 cents on Reddit: The best thing I ever did, was get out of the reddits.  It was the opposite effect I expected, as I am a far superior informed gamer sans reddit.  While following Reddit might offer the luxury of hearing about something a day or 2 before legitimate media picks up on it, so much of what is said on Reddit is completely false, it's worth it to be 2 days late to the party, knowing I have the correct information.

LOL re: the laser noises. I haven't listened to the radio shows myself. Technically the Spark Beam (I think that's what it's called?) is a lasery thing for Ranger's Assault Launcher, but yeah the guns seem to fire ballistic rounds. One of the E3 demos had an elemental shotgun... which doesn't seem to be in the game.

One thing regarding the tech I just thought of, Fort Tarsis is supposedly an outskirts/frontier type settlement. So maybe in Antium the daily tech is more reflective of a semi-advanced species? I know travel between settlements/cities is a problem due to the world state, so maybe Tarsis just has the bare essentials because transport is too difficult to get more out there. That's a fair lore point if this is the case, IMO.

I did play during the Lootapalooza the other day, but I wasn't level 30 yet so all of my drops were Epics and 1 MW. I only hit 30 a few days ago. I'm power level 610 or so and I did try to find a GM2 Legendary Contract today, but I spawned in alone and no one joined. 0% chance I can solo anything at GM2, probably not even GM1.

And yeah I just edited my post, you must have been typing as I edited it: I tried HoR GM1 twice today, both times put in toward the beginning of the Monitor fight. I have no idea what the loot drop between modes is, some people on reddit have run tests and they basically say GM2 and GM3 are wastes of time at the moment, especially if you're just farming MW. I still have quite a few MWs to go before I set my sights on Legendary only. 

Fair point re: reddit, the other reasons I visit is there is so much genuinely entertaining and funny content posted too, and some dev teams communicate directly through reddit even more than their official forums (looking at you, Ubisoft). It's funny, I didn't start redditing until last year, I've been a gamer for almost two decades and I can't imagine how I got on without reddit, but I did. So I suppose that means I still can!

Think I'll give HoR another shot right now. 

It's odd. The game has so many problems that are head-scratching, frustrating, and seemingly preventable, but my eagerness to load it up hasn't really dissolved compared to when I first loaded it up in February. I really hate Anthem for a lot of reasons, but I keep playing and at the moment, I have no intention of stopping soon. :shrugs:

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

On 04/02/2019 at 10:29 PM, DeadSlash said:

As I understand it, Epic's storefront takes less, and this apparently makes it very attractive.  The flip-side seems to be that people hate the Epic launcher because it's 40% owned by tencent, and tencent is apparently the devil.  Hard to get solid info on it though.

It IS the devil. Sadly I had to download to play unreal 2018 or... 19 and... it development ceased.

Anyways. I used to only have steam and that was fine, then came GOG galaxy (Diablo 1 is available on it, BTW). Ok by me. Then epic came along and it became crowded, then I needed Bethesda's to download the Quake Champions Beta, thankfully it came to steam, but it seems Rage 2 won't be coming to steam as well and I'm really worried Doom Eternal might follow suit. It is really getting out of hand.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

It IS the devil. Sadly I had to download to play unreal 2018 or... 19 and... it development ceased.

Anyways. I used to only have steam and that was fine, then came GOG galaxy (Diablo 1 is available on it, BTW). Ok by me. Then epic came along and it became crowded, then I needed Bethesda's to download the Quake Champions Beta, thankfully it came to steam, but it seems Rage 2 won't be coming to steam as well and I'm really worried Doom Eternal might follow suit. It is really getting out of hand.

Launchers are kind of like streaming platforms now, they will duke it out and 1 or 2 will remain, but everyone wants in on the money!

Shame about UT, I was playing a lot of that too.  My glory days of gaming and actually being "good" peaked during the UT2k4 days, did a lot of shoutcasting then, too.

Edited by DeadSlash

22 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah I'm going to get Rage 2 and I'll have to do it through Bethesda's Launcher. Doom also being a Beth Soft title, will almost certainly be exclusive to Bethesda's launcher.

______

Regarding Anthem, I'm still playing. I don't really know why. Something about the game keeps dragging me back, despite the lack of content, the incredibly stingy drop rates, and the repetitive nature of the content that is present. I have graduated to playing mostly GM3 and while it is the hardest mode available, with a decent build and a coordinating squad it's really not that difficult. The design of the difficulty is stupid, the only difference from GM1 to GM2 to GM3 is that enemies have more health. I think GM3 has 30x health of GM1 or something like that.

My big problem is that the loot drop rates for GM3 (even after their server-side hotfix on Friday to improve drop rates) are still pretty poor. I spent more hours playing Anthem GM3 this weekend than I spend playing games during the week, and I got 3 Legendaries. 1 of which I could never claim because I got a Pilot Error (connection drop on server's part, basically) and it disappeared, the other 2 were junk because for some reason, Legendary items can have junk inscriptions. Not sure how much longer the game will keep me going given the hardest difficult just doesn't reward the player for their time.

AC:OD's newest DLC is out, I guess I'll get around to that.

Metro: Exodus is still waiting for me, I only put 3-4 hours on it despite really really enjoying it. But I'm really annoyed at a massive plot spoiler I saw on reddit (in the title of a fucking thread) and I think that's been putting me off from playing. 

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

I'm having so much fun slaying orcs! Nemesis system is brilliant.

• Like 1

Cuphead.

On the last boss fight (the Devil).

Easily one of the hardest games I've played since probably Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES.

Enjoyed it but will be happy to have it completed.

• GNFNR 1

16 hours ago, downzy said:

Cuphead.

On the last boss fight (the Devil).

Easily one of the hardest games I've played since probably Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES.

Enjoyed it but will be happy to have it completed.

I still remember getting to the end of Super Ghouls and Ghosts only to be sent back to the beginning to get an item and have to play all the way through again just to finish it. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I still remember getting to the end of Super Ghouls and Ghosts only to be sent back to the beginning to get an item and have to play all the way through again just to finish it. :lol: 

Yeah, that game was brutal.  I think I had to rely on a warp or something to actually beat the game.

21 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah, that game was brutal.  I think I had to rely on a warp or something to actually beat the game.

Brutal and didn't have a way to save your game either if I recall correctly. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Brutal and didn't have a way to save your game either if I recall correctly. :lol: 

Nope, none.  That game broke many a controller.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:49 AM, RussTCB said:

I've been messing around Crackdown 3 because it was free with Game Pass. It's fun for free but I'd be really mad if I'd paid for it. 

Gamepass was free for 14 days and CD3 was available for PC with it.  You are 100% right, it's fun, but $60 for that game would have pissed me off hardcore!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on that.  I wouldn't even have known it was a thing.

• Like 1

FYI to anyone who was vested in the "epic exclusive" aspect of Metro Exodus.  It is now available on Humble Bundle.

Finally beat the Watcher Knights in Hollow Knight. Those mofos have been the bain of my (gaming) existence for a while now lol