What are you currently playing? Last game played?

XBox Gamepass Ultimate on offer at £1 for the first month. I'm absolutely loving it. Playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps which is amazing and also Forza Horizon 4 which is the most impressive driving game I've ever seen.

11 hours ago, Dazey said:

XBox Gamepass Ultimate on offer at £1 for the first month. I'm absolutely loving it. Playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps which is amazing and also Forza Horizon 4 which is the most impressive driving game I've ever seen.

I just burned through three months of Gamepass (paid $2 for the three months) and only played Forza Horizon 4. It’s both stellar and a black hole. There’s just so much to do. It overtook my life after dinner so kind of glad my three month subscription is up. 

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

I heard Bethesda cut Deathmatch?!

Honestly I'm so tired of their bullshit. Tod Howard needs to stfu

Yeah, Death match will presumably come later.   They really shit up this game.  idk how you could blow a Doom game ffs, but like life in Jurassic Park, Bethesda found a way.

6 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Yeah, Death match will presumably come later.   They really shit up this game.  idk how you could blow a Doom game ffs, but like life in Jurassic Park, Bethesda found a way.

6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I heard Bethesda cut Deathmatch?!

Honestly I'm so tired of their bullshit. Tod Howard needs to stfu

I bought it yesterday but haven't played it yet. Hoping I'm not disappointed.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Fixed your PC? Nice

It seems my rig can play this 100fps+ which is encouraging. I hope that's the case for Halo Infinite and Cyberpunk 2077, my most anticipated games this year.

Unfortunately not. I was planning to replace my GPU this month actually but I've put that on hold for now until we're all out the other side of this stupid virus shit. I've had to bite the bullet and buy this on XBox instead but I will have the proper version in a couple of months if I enjoy it.

I fought the urge to buy a new Xbox and instead opted for Super Mario Odyssey and LA Noire to keep me occupied on the Switch. I am absolutely loving Odyssey so far. Best main entry in the Mario series since Mario 64 in my opinion. I'm having a blast with it.

19 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Doom Eternal is really disappointing imo.  The best part about it is that I got a full PC mod of the N64 version.

The game is much more platformer and RPG than Doom, and it's a real shame.  I wanted Doom, not "Mirrors Edge Demonic mix."

So far I think it's excellent. I love the RPG(ish) elements re leveling up etc. Bizarrely the one thing that I'm really loving is the new automap which is a massive improvement over Doom 2016. It's got my OCD going something crazy. I've been obsessively wandering to every little corner of all the maps just to ensure that it's all painted green. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

So far I think it's excellent. I love the RPG(ish) elements re leveling up etc. Bizarrely the one thing that I'm really loving is the new automap which is a massive improvement over Doom 2016. It's got my OCD going something crazy. I've been obsessively wandering to every little corner of all the maps just to ensure that it's all painted green. :lol: 

I was loving it at first also, 2 things wore on me REALLY fast:

1. Incessant parkour. It's much more of a platformer than any other Doom.  It got formulaic really fast.  Skirmish, then dead end, look around find path to jump across map.

2. Not enough ammo. ffs.  I have ammo almost maxed, I can unlock one more ammo slot in my suit, it will bring me to a staggering 24 shotgun shells up from the 16 you start with.  Essentially, the way you fight is pretty set in stone: Exhaust your ammo, hit chainsaw attack to restock, repeat as needed.  Even with ammo capacity maxed out, EVERY weapon only lasts about 5-7 seconds in an intense firefight before exhausting all of it's ammo.

It's driving me nuts that you max out at 12 possible shots from the most iconic weapon in video game history, the double barrel shotgun!

I am actually splitting time between Doom Eternal and Doom64.  At first I was like "What is everyone bitching about?"  Then it got old fast.  See if the same happens to you or not.

PS. I like the map too, you can power it up btw, so it gets even better later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

1. Incessant parkour. It's much more of a platformer than any other Doom.  It got formulaic really fast.  Skirmish, then dead end, look around find path to jump across map.

2. Not enough ammo. ffs.  I have ammo almost maxed, I can unlock one more ammo slot in my suit, it will bring me to a staggering 24 shotgun shells up from the 16 you start with.  Essentially, the way you fight is pretty set in stone: Exhaust your ammo, hit chainsaw attack to restock, repeat as needed.  Even with ammo capacity maxed out, EVERY weapon only lasts about 5-7 seconds in an intense firefight before exhausting all of it's ammo.

It's driving me nuts that you max out at 12 possible shots from the most iconic weapon in video game history, the double barrel shotgun!

I am actually splitting time between Doom Eternal and Doom64.  At first I was like "What is everyone bitching about?"  Then it got old fast.  See if the same happens to you or not.

I've not actually found the ammo limits to be that much of an issue so far. I've found myself having to use the weapon mods a lot more than I would otherwise but that doesn't really bother me. The sticky bomb modifier on the shotgun is essential. I also really like the addition of lives in this one. The checkpoint restarts after dying on Doom 2016 frustrated the hell out of me.

• Like 1

Red Dead Redemption 1.

Rediscovering the classics, having a great time with new friends playing multiplayer, snaggin some trophies.

It also playing again further solidifies my deep love for the first game and perpetual disappointment for the second.

RDR1 >>>>>> RDR2. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 11:11 AM, James Bond said:

I fought the urge to buy a new Xbox and instead opted for Super Mario Odyssey and LA Noire to keep me occupied on the Switch. I am absolutely loving Odyssey so far. Best main entry in the Mario series since Mario 64 in my opinion. I'm having a blast with it.

Probably the best call.  I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Xbox One or PS4 at this point.  The Xbox Series X and PS5 will be backward compatible (well, sort of for the PS5 as it will be limited to 100 games at first).  Save your bullets and buy the new console in November (assuming they can still make their launch window with the coronavirus outbreak) and play whatever system you have in the meantime.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, downzy said:

Probably the best call.  I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Xbox One or PS4 at this point.  The Xbox Series X and PS5 will be backward compatible (well, sort of for the PS5 as it will be limited to 100 games at first).  Save your bullets and buy the new console in November (assuming they can still make their launch window with the coronavirus outbreak) and play whatever system you have in the meantime.  

Yeah I've got my sights on the Series X. Until all this happened in the world I was just holding off on replacing my dead Xbox One. However, in my first week off I suddenly became fearful of missing GTA and Red Dead a little too much.

Oh well. Now I get to show the Switch some love. I'm probably three years behind on this complaint, but does anybody else fucking hate the Joy Cons as much as I do? I have tiny hands and yet I still fumble the buttons half the time or think I'm hitting A and I'm hitting X. :lol:

Ordered me up a Pro controller. Well, the poor man's version (the wired Mario Gamecube-inspired smash pad).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I like how cutesy it is and want the New Horizons themed console if they don't come out with a Pro system soon. Villager is my boy in Smash.

I want that console too :lol: the Switch in my house belongs to my son, he got it for Christmas and now I really want one. I think I’ll buy the Lite next payday because it’s a lot cheaper, I really want Animal Crossing to myself and the Zelda games. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

On 21/03/2020 at 8:22 PM, DeadSlash said:

Gotta agree with you. Eternal feels a little mediocre on some parts. The combat, which relies heavily on scripted glory kills and chainsaw to get health and ammo (and that gimmicky flamethrower for armor), feels like they tried to shoehorn too much stuff and sacrificed quality.

My biggest issue is the maps. They are too linear and you can't go back after some checkpoints. You know, classic doom was all about map awareness and how you used the entire map to engage on combat, here they are always locking you up in small arenas (not as much as doom 2016). It gets old fast. Sure, Classic Doom had some of those too (mostly on sandy's levels), but this concept was used more as a trap to surprise you. In Eternal you come to expect it.

Anyways, let's get to modding.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Gotta agree with you. Eternal feels a little mediocre on some parts. The combat, which relies heavily on scripted glory kills and chainsaw to get health and ammo (and that gimmicky flamethrower for armor), feels like they tried to shoehorn too much stuff and sacrificed quality.

My biggest issue is the maps. They are too linear and you can't go back after some checkpoints. You know, classic doom was all about map awareness and how you used the entire map to engage on combat, here they are always locking you up in small arenas (not as much as doom 2016). It gets old fast. Sure, Classic Doom had some of those too (mostly on sandy's levels), but this concept was used more as a trap to surprise you. In Eternal you come to expect it.

Anyways, let's get to modding.

I'm still absolutely loving it. I really like the chainsaw/flame belch/glory kill mechanic and it's great when you get into a rhythm with it. For me it really gets good when you get the super shotgun with the flaming meathook. I do agree that some of the platforming can be annoying but not to the point where it spoils it for me.