What are you currently playing? Last game played?

I finally sat down to give Kingdom Hearts 1.5, 2.5 and 3 a try after I didn't understand how any of it worked back when I was 14. 

But man this story is ridiculously complex, I'm really digging these games and am currently playing KH3. But the story has me all kinds of confused :lol:

Love how they make Donald Duck say all kinds of complex words and stuff tho. You hear his voice actor struggling sometimes.

I recently finished Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I've had it since it came out, but I really don't think I got very far with it back when I was 14, I can't remember how far I did actually get but I'd wager that I didn't actually get past the first major boss, Amorbis.

I've read a lot of people online talking about having similar experiences - it's not overtly a horror game but it's pretty unrelentingly dark, bleak and oppressive from the beginning. You arrive in the game world and are immediately plunged into its silent depths littered with nothing but the corpses of the people you came to rescue - which then reanimate and start to attack you. You're on a planet that was about ten minutes from the apocalypse when you arrived and happened to provide a slither of hope, but the odds are still overwhelmingly stacked against you. It's set on a planet that's been hit by a meteor and split into two dimensions, and the denizens of the 'dark' dimension are almost at the point of completely conquering the light world. Enter Samus Aran.

For a long time at the start of the game you're pretty weak and you take a lot of damage, which means you're moving around with quite a lot of trepidation and a feeling that you're never really safe regardless of where you go.Then, you have to travel to the dark dimension for the first time... even the air there drains your health really rapidly and the enemies are tough, smart and aggressive. It's so stressful :lol: - which is why as a kid, I think I was like "nah, this is too much". You really come to dread those dark world trips.

I decided on a whim to give it another shot a week and a bit ago - and I loved it! The payoff for slugging it out through the first 10 hours or so is a real feeling of power as your arsenal of weapons and tools begins to expand and you can breeze through areas that were once heart-pounding gauntlets. That said, the later-game areas keep upping the difficulty curve - the last major level, the Sanctuary Fortress is a gorgeous, exciting and challenging place to explore, although both major areas of Torvus Bog have their own charm too. The dark world remains hellish, purple and foreboding throughout. 

Also, there are a -lot- of bosses in this game, and some of the sub-bosses are actually the hardest enemies in the game. Two in particular took me over 9 attempts each (the Spider Guardian and the Boost Guardian). 

It's the first Metroid game I've become so immersed in that I wanted to 100% it, and I found it really enjoyable hunting down every last pickup before heading to the final boss(es... spoilers?). 

100% would recommend - just get yourself in the mindset for a challenge :) . 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

I recently finished Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I've had it since it came out, but I really don't think I got very far with it back when I was 14, I can't remember how far I did actually get but I'd wager that I didn't actually get past the first major boss, Amorbis.

I've read a lot of people online talking about having similar experiences - it's not overtly a horror game but it's pretty unrelentingly dark, bleak and oppressive from the beginning. You arrive in the game world and are immediately plunged into its silent depths littered with nothing but the corpses of the people you came to rescue - which then reanimate and start to attack you. You're on a planet that was about ten minutes from the apocalypse when you arrived and happened to provide a slither of hope, but the odds are still overwhelmingly stacked against you. It's set on a planet that's been hit by a meteor and split into two dimensions, and the denizens of the 'dark' dimension are almost at the point of completely conquering the light world. Enter Samus Aran.

For a long time at the start of the game you're pretty weak and you take a lot of damage, which means you're moving around with quite a lot of trepidation and a feeling that you're never really safe regardless of where you go.Then, you have to travel to the dark dimension for the first time... even the air there drains your health really rapidly and the enemies are tough, smart and aggressive. It's so stressful :lol: - which is why as a kid, I think I was like "nah, this is too much". You really come to dread those dark world trips.

I decided on a whim to give it another shot a week and a bit ago - and I loved it! The payoff for slugging it out through the first 10 hours or so is a real feeling of power as your arsenal of weapons and tools begins to expand and you can breeze through areas that were once heart-pounding gauntlets. That said, the later-game areas keep upping the difficulty curve - the last major level, the Sanctuary Fortress is a gorgeous, exciting and challenging place to explore, although both major areas of Torvus Bog have their own charm too. The dark world remains hellish, purple and foreboding throughout. 

Also, there are a -lot- of bosses in this game, and some of the sub-bosses are actually the hardest enemies in the game. Two in particular took me over 9 attempts each (the Spider Guardian and the Boost Guardian). 

It's the first Metroid game I've become so immersed in that I wanted to 100% it, and I found it really enjoyable hunting down every last pickup before heading to the final boss(es... spoilers?). 

100% would recommend - just get yourself in the mindset for a challenge :) . 

Did you play this on original hardware and if so what kind of TV were you using? I recently booted up the original Metroid Prime on my Gamecube and it just looked horrible on an LCD TV. Really blurry and nothing like I remember it back in the day on an old CRT. I had to turn it off after a few minutes.

Edited by Dazey

15 hours ago, Dazey said:

Did you play this on original hardware and if so what kind of TV were you using? I recently booted up the original Metroid Prime on my Gamecube and it just looked horrible on an LCD TV. Really blurry and nothing like I remember it back in the day on an old CRT. I had to turn it off after a few minutes.

I played the GameCube original using the Wii's backwards compatibility on a Toshiba HDTV that my brother bought two years ago - it looked great, but maybe Prime 2 is a different case because it only runs in 60 Hz whereas the original ran in 50, I believe. I think there must be a way to get Prime looking good on modern hardware because a lot of the reviews I've read recently have specifically praised Prime for still looking great and not really dated 18 years on. Hope you can get that sorted! 

On 09/08/2020 at 1:29 AM, Graeme said:

I played the GameCube original using the Wii's backwards compatibility on a Toshiba HDTV that my brother bought two years ago - it looked great, but maybe Prime 2 is a different case because it only runs in 60 Hz whereas the original ran in 50, I believe. I think there must be a way to get Prime looking good on modern hardware because a lot of the reviews I've read recently have specifically praised Prime for still looking great and not really dated 18 years on. Hope you can get that sorted! 

I managed to get an emulator working on my PC so I've downloaded 600 or so Gamecube games and I've got them running at 1080P 60FPS. :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft Flight Simulator. Fucking hell it’s amazing! At ultra settings on my new graphics card it literally looks photorealistic. I can literally fly down my street and look in through the bedroom windows. 

You can literally fly anywhere on Earth and it’s all accurately represented. How the hell did they do this? :o 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

Microsoft Flight Simulator. Fucking hell it’s amazing! At ultra settings on my new graphics card it literally looks photorealistic.

I remember playing MS Flight Simulator 3.0 on my old DOS 386 processor PC back in the late 1980s.  At the time I thought nothing was more realistic... lol

Still remember I spent most of my time flying the Cessna and Lear jet under the Golden Gate Bridge.  

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

I can literally fly down my street and look in through the bedroom windows. 

I was going to make a Hasselhoff - poster joke but I'll let it go.

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

You can literally fly anywhere on Earth and it’s all accurately represented. How the hell did they do this?

Apparently it streams Bing Maps as you play and uses some technical sorcery to render buildings in 3D.  

I'd love to play this but I don't own a PC.  Apparently it's coming to the next Xbox so hopefully I'll get a chance to give it a try in a year or two.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know nothing about video games. Id like to get into video games, exclusively to serve my Star Wars fandom. I'm especially interested in narrative-heavy, character driven games.

I have a largely outdated smart tv.

Any suggestions for a console and games would be much appreciated!

Cheers

24 minutes ago, soon said:

I know nothing about video games. Id like to get into video games, exclusively to serve my Star Wars fandom. I'm especially interested in narrative-heavy, character driven games.

I have a largely outdated smart tv.

Any suggestions for a console and games would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Easy. Get Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. You don’t need a console for them. They’ll run on any old PC. They’re the best Star Wars games available. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this should have it's own topic so I'll just post it here.

They are finally coming through with the Uncharted movie! Fucking excited about this. They even got a reluctant Mark Wahlberg to wear a mustache for his role as Sully. 

@RussTCB have you seen this yet? I know you're a fan of the games as well. I recently finished The Lost Legacy, which is actually pretty decent for a spin-off. But after hearing this I kinda want to revisit all 4 Uncharted games again.

1 hour ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

They are finally coming through with the Uncharted movie! Fucking excited about this. They even got a reluctant Mark Wahlberg to wear a mustache for his role as Sully. 

@RussTCB have you seen this yet? I know you're a fan of the games as well. I recently finished The Lost Legacy, which is actually pretty decent for a spin-off. But after hearing this I kinda want to revisit all 4 Uncharted games again.

I’m in two minds about this. Loved the games but I’m not convinced Tom Holland is good casting. I like him but I’m not sure he fits the role. I’m more than happy to be proved wrong however. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

Hasn't heard about this but I'll definitely go see it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dazey said:

I’m in two minds about this. Loved the games but I’m not convinced Tom Holland is good casting. I like him but I’m not sure he fits the role. I’m more than happy to be proved wrong however. 

Oh I agree with you on Tom Holland as Nathan Drake. I get that they want to start with a young actor but he doesn't really strike me as the Nathan Drake type. But I do think that Wahlberg could be a good Sully. He has that same grumpy seen-it-all look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently about halfway through The Last Of Us. Picked it up for $10 and couldn't put the controller down. Might have to grab the second one while it's still on sale! The nice thing about late life consoles is getting games of this quality for next to nothing.

Minor gripe - the controls for cycling and swapping inventory items are horrid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • downzy pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

On the last chapter of The Last of Us Remastered, loved it so much I have bought Part 2 to start straight after I am done with this!

On 11/23/2020 at 8:29 AM, James Bond said:

Currently about halfway through The Last Of Us. Picked it up for $10 and couldn't put the controller down. Might have to grab the second one while it's still on sale! The nice thing about late life consoles is getting games of this quality for next to nothing.

Minor gripe - the controls for cycling and swapping inventory items are horrid.

It would seem as though we had the same.e thought!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

It would seem as though we had the same.e thought!

Absolutely brilliant game! I play a few multiplayer games here and there, but as I have gotten older and have less time on my hands, the single player story based games have really dominated my play time. I would agree the inventory is a twat, but it does add it to panic mid-fight. The combat is weighty and brutal, it genuinely feels like any fight can go south and that you are never onto a sure thing. The tunnel on the way to the hospital with TWO fucking bloaters milling about on top of clickers and runners! I have had loads of fun with this, hope the sequel is half as good. And also picked up the God of War reboot the other day for £8, so I am all sorted for the holidays!

4 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

On the last chapter of The Last of Us Remastered, loved it so much I have bought Part 2 to start straight after I am done with this!

Played a bit of it on PS3 and never got past the first couple of hours. Not that it was bad but more so that with parental duties, work, family etc I never had enough time to really tune out and get into it. I lent my sister and her other half my PS4 Pro a few weeks ago so he could play Last of Us for his birthday. Basically the deal was that I lend them my PS4, they buy the games and then I get the console back including new games a few months later. They bought Remastered and 2 so next year I'm going to have another go at them both.  

Edited by Dazey