What are you currently playing? Last game played?

1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Absolutely brilliant game! I play a few multiplayer games here and there, but as I have gotten older and have less time on my hands, the single player story based games have really dominated my play time. I would agree the inventory is a twat, but it does add it to panic mid-fight. The combat is weighty and brutal, it genuinely feels like any fight can go south and that you are never onto a sure thing. The tunnel on the way to the hospital with TWO fucking bloaters milling about on top of clickers and runners! I have had loads of fun with this, hope the sequel is half as good. And also picked up the God of War reboot the other day for £8, so I am all sorted for the holidays!

The second more or less plays exactly the same, but the combat mechanics and inventory are refined and much smoother. I had an even better time with the second game. One of the most emotionally polarizing narratives I've ever experienced in a video game!

I just don't get it when it comes to The Last of Us.  I've tried three times to beat that game and I just can't.  I find it boring to no end. 

I realize that it's just me, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I hear how much people love this game.  Guess I'll never understand it.  

Keep in mind I felt the same way about the Uncharted series but loved the Tomb Raider reboot.  So who knows.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, downzy said:

I just don't get it when it comes to The Last of Us.  I've tried three times to beat that game and I just can't.  I find it boring to no end. 

I realize that it's just me, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I hear how much people love this game.  Guess I'll never understand it.  

Keep in mind I felt the same way about the Uncharted series but loved the Tomb Raider reboot.  So who knows.  

the way I see it, playstation is for the cinematic experiences, and xbox is where the fast action and fun lies.

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

Played a bit of it on PS3 and never got past the first couple of hours. Not that it was bad but more so that with parental duties, work, family etc I never had enough time to really tune out and get into it. I lent my sister and her other half my PS4 Pro a few weeks ago so he could play Last of Us for his birthday. Basically the deal was that I lend them my PS4, they buy the games and then I get the console back including new games a few months later. They bought Remastered and 2 so next year I'm going to have another go at them both.  

Can't vouch for Part 2, but the first one is great. I have a feeling I won't be disappointed with the second!

5 hours ago, James Bond said:

The second more or less plays exactly the same, but the combat mechanics and inventory are refined and much smoother. I had an even better time with the second game. One of the most emotionally polarizing narratives I've ever experienced in a video game!

I have heard it is pretty heaving going, the gore looks like it rivals RDR2!

1 hour ago, downzy said:

I am a fan of Uncharted as well (apart from 3, that can fuck right off), but I can see why someone wouldn't be into TLoU. There is a style to Naughty Dog games. I still haven't played the original (?) Tomb Raider reboot, played Anniversary and enjoyed it. Should pick up the reboot while it is £2 or something stupid like that on PSN.

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

Really enjoyed the single-player campaign, even if (per usual) it's a tad short.  It's been so long since I played a FPS that I had to put it on the easiest settings to make it enjoyable.  I'll likely go back and play it on a harder setting since it's not a long game and I need to get some more practice in before I play with a few buddies in multiplayer.

• Doom Eternal.

GamePass deal ($1 for 3 months) so downloaded the latest Doom.  Again, on the easiest setting and trying to figure everything out.  It's far more complicated than when I use to boot up the first Doom on my PC in 1992.  Not sure if I'll stick with it as I found I was getting bored fifteen to twenty minutes into the game.

• Sunset Overdrive

One of those games that came out long before I bought my Xbox One X that I had wanted to play.  With GamePass it's essentially free so gave it a spin for a half hour.  Fun, but I can see it getting old.  Plus I'm in familiar territory where I'm not sure what to do next.  I beat the first mission and waiting for the next mission to open up.  I'm really not a side-mission kind of player; I generally just like to beat the main storyline and move on.  

• Ace Combat 7

I have only downloaded this game but haven't started it yet.  Again, free with GamePass, so giving it a chance.  These are the kinds of games I use to play in the 90s.  Dedicated games that did one thing and did them well.  I'm hoping it recaptures some of the fun I use to have playing these kinds of games.

• Star Wars: Squadrons

Beat this a few months ago.  If I'm being honest, it was not as fun as I was hoping it would be.  I was obsessed with the old Tie Fighter and X-Wing games back in the 90s, so I was hoping this would recapture some of the fun I use to have.  Maybe I'm just older and lamer, but I found finishing the game kind of a slog.  The graphics are top-notch and the controls are everything I wanted them to be.  I found the action a little too chaotic with dogfights essentially turning into the same boring setup where two planes essentially playing chicken shooting at each other and then circling back after passing to do it again.  Multiplayer was hopeless.  

Even though I have plenty of games to keep me occupied for the foreseeable future, I might take them up on the three months of Game Pass for a buck. Could easily just stock up on the free games with Gold for a few months (I hardly play competitive online so I seldomly keep my Gold active).

• 2 weeks later...

Having a lot of fun with Ace Combat 7. Reminds me of the kinds of games I use to play in the 90s. Cheesy cut scenes, straightforward storyline, challenging but not impossible missions.  Basically a nice concise gaming experience focused on one thing. The flying is a lot of fun and the options on how to complete missions are many but not overwhelming. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jamillos said:

Hitman 3. And it's exactly as awesome as I'd thought it would be! 

I was one of the many affected by the profile issues on the PS4 servers, so the game has been staring me in the face since launch day. The fix they rolled out today has finally worked, so I'm going to get rolling on the game tonight. Super pumped!

I wish they'd just make all features available in the offline mode to stop things like this, but alas.

• Like 1

I've just completed the "raid on sullust" level of the first rogue squadron game, for the first time ever. Thought I'd never see the day. Of all the games I ever played, this is easily in my top 3 of hardest levels ever, because I've only managed to beat it after 23 years.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, action said:

I've just completed the "raid on sullust" level of the first rogue squadron game, for the first time ever. Thought I'd never see the day. Of all the games I ever played, this is easily in my top 3 of hardest levels ever, because I've only managed to beat it after 23 years.

Now I recall my ptsd of the missile tower sounds

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Now I recall my ptsd of the missile tower sounds

I can relate!

Turned off the sound, I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I think on my last attempt I replayed this mission 10 times, always getting a bit further. When losing all your lives it was quicker to use the reset button in stead of going through that ranking list, which took forever. It was really cathartic when I finished it, because it always kinda bugged me I couldnt finish that level.

First I went for the missile launchers as quick as I could, and when that was gone I got a little breathing space again. Got a bit nervous when the force shield was gone and I didn't know what I was supposed to do, and then the liberating score screen.

Now, on to moff seerdon's revenge. Another nightmare.

Spent five to six hours playing Doom Eternal.  I found it became repetitive.  Would run into the same group of bad guys; I'd eventually run out of ammo, resort to using the chainsaw to kill one of them that yields more ammo, killed the rest, and then moved on to the next arena where it would repeat.  

Ended up deleting it from my harddrive despite only 30-40 percent of the way through.

------------------------

Now playing Disneyland Adventures, a game I discovered by accident looking through Xbox Gamepass's library.

The mini-games are fun and it's been almost 30 years since I've been to Disneyland/Disney World.  Kind of enjoying just walking around the park; a nice bit of escapism as we hunker down inside during another cold and snowy Canadian winter.  

Next up are Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Ori and the Will of the Whisp

Got to get as much in before my Gamepass membership expires at the end of March.  

30 minutes ago, downzy said:

Spent five to six hours playing Doom Eternal.  I found it became repetitive.  Would run into the same group of bad guys; I'd eventually run out of ammo, resort to using the chainsaw to kill one of them that yields more ammo, killed the rest, and then moved on to the next arena where it would repeat.  

Ended up deleting it from my harddrive despite only 30-40 percent of the way through.

------------------------

Now playing Disneyland Adventures, a game I discovered by accident looking through Xbox Gamepass's library.

The mini-games are fun and it's been almost 30 years since I've been to Disneyland/Disney World.  Kind of enjoying just walking around the park; a nice bit of escapism as we hunker down inside during another cold and snowy Canadian winter.  

Next up are Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Ori and the Will of the Whisp

Got to get as much in before my Gamepass membership expires at the end of March.  

Did you manage to get the super shotgun? I found it got a lot more enjoyable after that with the meat hook attachment. 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Did you manage to get the super shotgun? I found it got a lot more enjoyable after that with the meat hook attachment. 

No, don’t think I made it that far. I had the shotgun, but I’m not sure if it was super. Either way I’d run out of ammo for it fairly quickly.  Plus I’m just god-awful at FPS games so was playing it on the easiest settings (but still finding the game annoyingly challenging).

If I get through the other games I want to play before my three month GamePass trial ends I’ll give it another shot. But I have seven weeks left and four or five more games I want to get through. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Nice. I'll definitely be picking that up when the Switch Pro finally comes out. Was really impressed by Awakening.

It is fantastic!  I haven't played any FE titles since the American released Gameboy Advance ones in the mid-2000s so I think a lot of the modern day FE additions were new to me for this one - but I really love it.  The GBA ones were great but definitely a "cutscene, battle, cutscene, battle" thing where the Monastery in this game really opens it up and lets the story breathe a bit

Edited by WhazUp