Help me build a gaming PC

I really want to play GTA V on PC with max settings on Full HD (with anti aliasing etc.)... (at 30 fps min.)
So i wanna build a gamer PC which is capable of running with these settings
i would consider a gaming laptop, but i don't wanna spend 2000 euros on one machine that will overheat constantly and get trashed eventually within the next 2 years...

so
can you guys recommend me a good gaming rig?

(Monitors also, 4K resolution not needed i don't care for that )

On a 1200-1500 eur price range, pls
cheaper would be better
P.S. yeah, i'm lazy and curious :lol::shrugs:

Edited by Strange Broue

Get a GTX970 for your card, seems to allow for decent/maxed settings with reasonable framerates without being insanely expensive - leaves you money for other components.

Depending on what socket motherboard you want to go for, get an i7-5820K or an i7-4790K if you're sticking with an LGA1150 socket.

Anywhere between 8-16GB of RAM.

I would get an SSD as a drive for your OS (a larger one if your budget permits, but 240-250GB seems to be a sweet spot for pricing). GTAV is like a 60GB download and 120GB install all on it's own - so you'll probably want a regular 2TB HDD as a secondary drive that you install your games on, otherwise you won't be able to install more than 4-5 games or so on the SSD.

If you're too lazy to fully research and spec it yourself, I wouldn't bother building it either. Get a prebuilt system from a custom PC shop that sells online (or an eBay retailer) - you'll only pay an extra $100 or so for the assembly, they'll give you a build warranty, and you'll be guaranteed that the parts all play nicely with each other. Use the specs I've laid out as a guide and you'll come in under budget with no problems.

This is the sort of retailer I would go for in the UK, for example: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2479

• Like 1

FFS, I typed up a huge reply and then hit some keyboard combo and the page went backwards and deleted it all.

Short version:

Not all SSD, PSU's, and RAM are created equal - get good quality ones. If you notice an item is decently cheaper than items of similar size or supposed performance, generally stay away.

This list should help with PSU's: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html, ideally you want Tier 2 or Tier 1.

NewEgg is running great deals on SSD's, I just bought a Samsung 850 EVO 120GB for $65, of course a week later they started a sale for the 250GB version at $89 :facepalm: .

8GB of RAM should be fine, 1.5v seems to be what most processors prefer, and I'd try to get something above 2000mhz.

Processor: I'd go with 1150 even though I have 2011, but going with 2011 won't ruin your PC or make it bad, also 1151 should be coming out mid this year FYI. I don't think you need 6 cores though (if you do decided to do 6, then 2011 is the way to go), some even argue that 4 is unnecessary for gaming.

I'm not terribly current on monitors, when I was in the market the Dell Ultrasharp range was generally considered the best for its price, ~$200. I'm still using my 23.5 inch that I bought in 2012.

If you're not 100% confident in building/picking yourself, I agree with HV - have a builder do it, try to find a reputable company, I don't know of the UK companies. If AVADirect.com does international business, I highly recommend them.

Lastly, read reviews on everything you pick/look at. Read both tech performance reviews (Toms Hardware, Anandtech, etc.) and user reviews from sites like NewEgg and Tiger Direct and general Googling.

EDIT: Two other things I just remembered: get a decent size case, drop $150 or $200, it's worth it for airflow/maintenance purposes. Secondly, CPU cooling is worth thinking about too, I just got a Cooler Master 212 EVO air cooler, and it's working terrifically, just as good as my old liquid cooler for 1/3 the price... and it should last longer.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

you can build a pretty good rig with your budget.

this site is your best friend

https://pcpartpicker.com/

it will allow you to pick every part of your PC from the case to the graphics card and will show you the best(legit) sites to buy it from.

i think omar bradley hit the nail on the head but just a few little notes.

processors- processors matter less than most items since optimized games are usually less CPU intensive, shadows of mordor runs well below even the recommended specs. games usually run on only 1 or 2 cores but with your budget i would go with a quad core.

8 GB of ram are fine you will be able to upgrade and ram really isnt all that expensive to get.

graphics cards- HV pretty much said it all a gtx 970 is a great card to go and it wont break the bank, an alternative could be a sapphire r9 290x but its a little less powerful but a little cheaper but if had to choose go with the 970.

as for monitors im not really sure i have my pc hooked to my tv :lol:

one more thing i have ordered from both newegg and tiger direct and both of them have done a great job and are good sites to buy PC parts from.

• Like 2