Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **SPOILERS**

Facekicker

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I  felt sort of cheated with the way TFA the movie was promoted. I mean I was expecting to see Han, Luke and Leia in starring roles. That wasn't the case. On top of that all we got from Luke is a cameo. I can understand why many things seems like out of nowhere as long as we have answers in episodes VIII and IX. But I still there are things that just don't fit a proper sequel of to the original trilogy.

My ranking

1 Empire

2 ANH

3 ROTJ

4 Rogue One

5 ROTS

6 AOTC

7 Phantom Menace

I mean, all reports indicated it would be a passing-of-the-torch situation. Even back when Lucas wanted to do the sequel trilogy, it was going to be a passing-of-the-torch. Of course they had to make a big deal out of Harrison, Carrie, and Mark being back though, regardless of their level of involvement. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

No offense but you sound like you are trying to convince yourself that you like it haha.

Yeah reading my post again does seem a bit like I'm in denial. :lol:

But no, I think I did myself a favour by waiting a year to watch TFA and enjoy it for what it is instead of getting caught up in the hype and/or criticisms.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I mean, all reports indicated it would be a passing-of-the-torch situation. Even back when Lucas wanted to do the sequel trilogy, it was going to be a passing-of-the-torch. Of course they had to make a big deal out of Harrison, Carrie, and Mark being back though, regardless of their level of involvement. 

But that's the thing. Nobody passed the torch to Rey. She knew everything, or at least some it. She knew how to use a lightsaber without any traning.  We know that Luke was trying to reconstruction of the Jedi Order. But he fucked it up with his nephew and he went into exile. 

On January 18, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Padme said:

But that's the thing. Nobody passed the torch to Rey. She knew everything, or at least some it. She knew how to use a lightsaber without any traning.  We know that Luke was trying to reconstruction of the Jedi Order. But he fucked it up with his nephew and he went into exile. 

Yeah that I'll agree with. It felt like the movie was missing a proper mentor character cause they wanted han to be in the "obi-wan position" and luke to be in the "Yoda position." Which, in a way, does make more sense. The only problem is that han isn't a jedi. They shoulda given that Maz character a larger role to play in the story and have her train rey for a little bit in some way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah that I'll agree with. It felt like the movie was missing a proper mentor character cause they wanted han to be in the "obi-wan position" and luke to be in the "Yoda position." Which, in a way, does make more sense. The only problem is that han isn't a jedi. They shoulda given that Maz character a larger role to play in the story and have her train rey for a little bit in some way. 

Yeah a mentor and all the mithology from previous trilogies. I just find it a weird Star Wars sequel. I think they should've focused more in Expanded Universe for the script of the movie

On 1/19/2017 at 7:36 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Maz was supposed to have a larger role apparently, but her scenes were among those whittled down from the three hour cut.

4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Maz was supposed to have a larger role apparently, but her scenes were among those whittled down from the three hour cut.

Yeah I heard that they originally wanted her to be a puppet but then after Ford broke his leg on set they had to switch up their shooting schedule to film as much as they could without him, until he healed. Because of this, the puppet team didn't have enough time to finish the Maz puppet, so she ended up being cgi, but then the cgi team didn't have time to get all of her effects shots done either, hence why some of her scenes were cut. Oh well.

• 2 months later...

Without beating a dead horse as to why I think Rogue One is just an "okay" film, I'd probably put my ranking like this now that I've rewatched it and also have the other films fresh in my mind from my marathon.

1. Empire

2. Hope

3. Jedi

4. Force Awakens

5. Sith

6. Rogue One

7. Clones

8. Phantom

My current ranking:

Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars (yeah, that's what I'm calling it)

The Force Awakens

Return of the Jedi

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

TFA and ROTJ might swap places in my head every now and then. And for the record, I like Rogue One quite a bit but...something just feels like its missing when I watch it (can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is, though). 

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

1. Empire
2. Rogue One
3. Hope
4. Sith
5. Force Awakens
6. Jedi
7. Phantom
8. Clones

Come at me.

Like it, personally I'd flip Rogue and Hope, but otherwise this is the order I gave after seeing Rogue One initially and haven't changed my mind since.

On 1/17/2017 at 9:42 AM, Padme said:

I  felt sort of cheated with the way TFA the movie was promoted. I mean I was expecting to see Han, Luke and Leia in starring roles. That wasn't the case. On top of that all we got from Luke is a cameo. I can understand why many things seems like out of nowhere as long as we have answers in episodes VIII and IX. But I still there are things that just don't fit a proper sequel of to the original trilogy.

The funny thing is, when Michael Arndt was "released" from his duties as screenwriter and JJ took over, the popular rumor was that a re-write was underway to bring the central three classic characters to the forefront. The rumor was that Arndt's script leaned heavily on the new characters and Han, Leia and Luke were just background players. They said JJ wanted to give the classic characters "a proper sendoff."

From what I can see, JJ's re-write didn't do that. Sure, it beefed up Han's role, but that was to compensate for the fact that Luke wasn't involved in any capacity as far as the plot goes, other than being the flying dutchman.

They were at a catch 22. They needed to introduce a new blood of heroes but couldn't allow the old heroes to upstage anyone and therefore, had to make the selling points of the movie more suggestive than explicit. 

Now, with two out of the three leads vacated from the original trilogy, the pressure is on those filmmakers to give us the big Luke payoff in the next two movies. I have a feeling we're going to continue to be teased by Disney as far as Luke goes.