2011 Discussion Thread

downzy

WTF happened?

Axl had a good run on the '09/10 tour. His diet and exercise regime had obviously taken a beating since the last they toured in Japan two years prior. It had been a bit shocking, to be honest. Sure, he's been prone to transform in less than a year (NYE '02 in Vegas vs Summer '02 is one of his quickest), but come on. He was set to reclaim the rock world in his '06-07 season. I bet a lot of people were waiting on that Axl to jump the stage. What happened in between was CD. Cue beating on diet and exercise regime. At hindisight, it was still passable and he improved as he went.

So, 2011. Rock in Rio for the umpteenth time. Whenever Guns hit the stage at RIR, they'd delivered. We were bound to see him step up his game some more after the promise shown recently. Right? When I saw that show, I went, 'Uh oh. I used to think 2010 was a slight disappointment.' A beating on diet and exercise regime in comparison to the previous year would be putting it mildly. People said he was fat at RIR3 in 2001. Ten years later, he was. His voice was shot. He fumbled on the lyrics and humiliated Beta on stage in a surreal moment (no love lost, Beta, but that's a long way from RIR3).

Something went down with Axl during that year, which completely discouraged him and made him let go of himself. We may argue whether he's been working on getting back to it since, but I wonder what caused it. He did settle with Azoff during the summer, could that have been the reason he suddenly felt prepping for tours is a waste of time as people only come in for nostalgia, or whatever?

Edited by denin

Oh man, I'll never forget the Rio live stream... Fucking disaster, but Estranged was epic! I do think we blew things out of proportion, though. His voice changed but improved drastically as the year went on.

Still, it was a decent GNR related year for me. I saw them on the North American arena tour and it was a great show. I also saw Slash for the first time opening for Ozzy and caught Buckethead at a solo show.

EDIT- Its so funny, we were all sure Rio would have been the start of new shit. We're 4 years from that :lol:

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Oh man, I'll never forget the Rio live stream... Fucking disaster, but Estranged was epic! I do think we blew things out of proportion, though. His voice changed but improved drastically as the year went on.

Still, it was a decent GNR related year for me. I saw them on the North American arena tour and it was a great show. I also saw Slash for the first time opening for Ozzy and caught Buckethead at a solo show.

EDIT- Its so funny, we were all sure Rio would have been the start of new shit. We're 4 years from that :lol:

That's a theme of most big shows. "Okay guys, they have to play new songs at this show; it's too big of an opportunity." This was rampant in 2006. Everyone was so dramatic back then, as if the band would immediately cease to exist if new material wasn't performed at certain events/concerts. I'm sure we'll be saying the same thing at the kick off of the next GNR tour.

Check this out:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/182817-axl-finally-has-the-right-managemnt/?p=2975490

After all the ups and downs and problems with shifty managers, I'm glad that Axl has finally put people he can trust in charge of the band. It's taken us along time to get to this point, but I have a really good, strong feeling that we are about to enter the the most productive, prolific period in Axl's career. He's granting interviews, and talking to fans and appearing in national media again, and seeming happy, and even talking up the next release. All while putting on the most blistering, ass-kicking live tour since Use Your Illusion. This can't be a coincidence. This has to all be product of effective, professional management that's sensitive to Axl's needs and supportive of his goals. I was especially encouraged to read about how Beta's going to help clear the way for a new album by dealing with the record label for Axl. Holy shit. That is just what the doctor ordered. She may be the one person tough enough to crack a few heads down at the greedy record company office and get Axl what he needs to put the next album out.

Usually, I would never, ever under any circumstances support anyone giving Axl an ultimatum like she did when she told Axl she would quit working with him if he didn't let her and her family be the managers. One, I do not think anyone should ever tell Axl Rose what he has to do. But also because I was a little worried to hear Beta threaten to leave Axl because we know how unique and special their relationship has been, and even if she was only saying that to motivate him to let her be the manager, it still seems a little extreme consdiering how much we know Axl loves and needs her. Nobody wants to lose their 'mother,' even if it's not his mother by blood, but the "Mother of the Band." But it worked, and now Axl for once has a Manager that he can trust completely and we can also be absoluitely sure that she will never try and get him to reunite with the old band because she, of all people, understands how hurtful they have been.

We've had some great times and some dark times with this band. But now that we've finally got Beta and people we can trust at the wheel, I really feel like we're about to enter the "Golden Years" of Guns N' Roses.

All I can say is: WOW, how fucking wrong this guy was.

• Like 2

Isn't CoolRanchDressing an alt for HisRoyalSweetness? Pretty sure he was trolling.

2011 was so disappointing. I remember even entertaining the idea of going to RIR since some of my other favourite bands were playing (SOAD, Metallica, Slipknot+Stone Sour), so glad I didn't go in the end, though I did end up going to RIR for 2 days in 2013 for Springsteen and Maiden which was amazing.

At least Estranged didn't suck. I remember waking up and seeing the shitstorm of a thread, a huge collective WTF.

Highlight was prob the whole fiasco in February of that year, and the LA Times interviews in December:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/21/entertainment/la-et-12-20-axl-rose-interview-20111221

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-bemoans-the-state-of-la-radio.html

What fiasco in February? And I can't seem to find an official Rock in Rio 2011 discussion thread? I was only lurking this very forum back then, just after RIR 2011. So I can't even imagine the collective disappointment of having to watch that abomination live and see our favorite rocker fall so fucking hard from grace. It especially must've hurt since 2010 set the bar so high.

Ah, 2011, the year my fandom for this band officially died. It never really got any better after Rio, did it? Just endless touring and the occasional passable vocal performance, no new music...yet here I still am on one of their fan forums still hoping that someday they actually do something worthwhile again. Oh well.

Isn't CoolRanchDressing an alt for HisRoyalSweetness? Pretty sure he was trolling.

2011 was so disappointing. I remember even entertaining the idea of going to RIR since some of my other favourite bands were playing (SOAD, Metallica, Slipknot+Stone Sour), so glad I didn't go in the end, though I did end up going to RIR for 2 days in 2013 for Springsteen and Maiden which was amazing.

At least Estranged didn't suck. I remember waking up and seeing the shitstorm of a thread, a huge collective WTF.

Highlight was prob the whole fiasco in February of that year, and the LA Times interviews in December:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/21/entertainment/la-et-12-20-axl-rose-interview-20111221

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-bemoans-the-state-of-la-radio.html

I think when a shitstorm occured if a band plays a 20 year old song again, it's just beyond pathetic

(and yes, i was raged that night too, but i don't write on any GNR forums yet)

What fiasco in February? And I can't seem to find an official Rock in Rio 2011 discussion thread? I was only lurking this very forum back then, just after RIR 2011. So I can't even imagine the collective disappointment of having to watch that abomination live and see our favorite rocker fall so fucking hard from grace. It especially must've hurt since 2010 set the bar so high.

Most of the show/concert threads are stored in their own section.

The Rio thread can be found here:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/175574-guns-n-roses-headline-rock-in-rio-4/

• Like 1

2011 was the year I stopped supporting Axl and any version of his band. It's all been a big joke since Rio 4.

2013 was when my passion for the band really died

2012 was still great for all things GNR for me. I saw the UCAP tour and attended the HOF. Met some band members and Slash, too.

Then in 2013, I just realized that things would never move forward. That, combined with me seeing the band 3 times in the 3 years before that and lots of other things just made me care less. I'll always love GNR, but my obsession from 2008-2012 will never be like it was. Ah well, that's alright

2011 was the year I stopped supporting Axl and any version of his band. It's all been a big joke since Rio 4.

2013 was when my passion for the band really died

2012 was still great for all things GNR for me. I saw the UCAP tour and attended the HOF. Met some band members and Slash, too.

Then in 2013, I just realized that things would never move forward. That, combined with me seeing the band 3 times in the 3 years before that and lots of other things just made me care less. I'll always love GNR, but my obsession from 2008-2012 will never be like it was. Ah well, that's alright

Same here. In 2011, I still had some hope that things would eventually move forward. DJ replacing Robin put a huge dent in things for me, but I still had some hope.

• 2 months later...

I remember how shocked i was when i saw the RIR 4 stream....

The only good thing in 2011, that Axl added Civil War and Estranged to the setlist... i remember when they started playing CW again i download a shitty audience recording and played it over and over

After that, the only highlights for me: Philly 2012 and 2012 HOB and a little bit of Vegas 2014 last night

Other than that, there's nothing exciting or interesting here really, but i do enjoy some discussions