UPROXX Mini-Documentary

axlweave

Marc, do you think that Duff could possibly be the bridge between Axl and Slash ? And why don't you just drive one day up to Malibu and give Axl a visit ? Do you think that Axl would want to talk to you if Beta told him you are at the door ?

Man, it sounds like Axl joined Scientology, that enemy list reminds me of 'Going Clear' documentary when people in scientology make a list of SP (Suppresive Person)

Anyway, Marc, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, my question is........do you still have those 30 shows recorded, if so, can we know more about them? Which shows, what quality are they, and will we ever see them??

Thanks!

Hey Marc,

You speak often (and in this mini-doc) about the possibility of Axl and Slash hashing out their differences. You seem optimistic that some common ground could be reached should these two icons of rock were to ever find themselves in the same room with proper mediation (ie. no vested interested by those mediating the meeting). But I'm curious whether you think your own relationship/friendship with Axl could be restored to what it once was? Or is Axl the kind of guy that once he's made up his mind on someone, once he considers a former friend no longer loyal and hence no longer deserving of his own time, attention, and loyalty, is there any way of coming back from that? Do you ever find yourself saying stuff in public via interviews or even what you wrote in your book and think, "well, Axl's not going to like this, but oh well."

This came to mind when watching the mini-doc, as I wonder what Axl might have thought when you mentioned how the wedding theme of November Rain was something that originated from your own wedding (btw, I think everyone here can agree that having Axl perform at your wedding is probably the coolest thing ever). Do you think Axl would agree with that assessment regarding the wedding imagery eventually used in November Rain, and if not, do you think it might put more space between the two of you? And at this point, do you even care if what you say bothers Axl? Have you gotten to the point where saying what you truly feel now supersedes how it will be interpreted by the members of the band?

I do think someday things will be ok between Axl and me. I don't really know who was behind using NR as a wedding video but it might just be it was in Del's story. I just got there first.

I know that some of the things I say might bother Axl but I also have to go with the things I believe to be true and strongly feel its the right thing to do. I do have Axl's back when doing interviews or even here when people get out of line and talk shit. He knows that I love him, I think the biggest problem is the way things stand between him and Slash, get me in trouble anytime i have something nice to say about Slash because he has such a bad taste in his moth with how that separation took place and the war that went on between them after, that he just can't see someone that he cares about say nice things about the person that he can't stand. So somehow he sees it as a betrayal. Also me just promoting the work he did with Slash is not something he supports right now. I supported the work they they did enjoyed that time back in 1985 and was very much involved and I'm sorry but I didn't change, I'm the same person i was back then and I will never chance and I will always support that work. Its too bad that Axl no longer wants to enjoy those times and maybe someday he might change his mind but the rest of us know that those were very special times and must not be hidden from the history of the band. I guess you can call me a true GNR/Slash historian for getting my book out and to continue to talk about the history. I'm not happy that it probably makes Axl upset and that hurts me but I know its the right thing to do. I also know someday Axl will agree with me when he finds his way out of the hate Slash trance that he is stuck in. I know he loved the work I put together when he first saw it so I know i'm doing the right thing.

Thanks for the response, great explanation. It seems as though there are times when what's right for the fans and the music is at times at odds with what Axl and/or his management wants to do. Or, better said, Axl does seem intent on celebrating the music that GNR is loved and known for, but on his terms. I guess you either have to agree to those terms to stay tight with him or make the difficult decision of doing what you think is proper for the music and for the fans. I know with respect to this forum there isn't much interest in cooperating with the band/management due to the fact that we don't share the same idea of what it means to be a fan. It's a shame because there's so much that could be done with greater cooperation between the band and this forum that it would make being a "fan" so much easier.

Anyway, as always, appreciate your insights.

I really liked this documentary and what you say is true. But Axl is a difficult person, if he see this just gonna worsen, and "team brazil" obviously gonna prevent reunion with Slash happen from anyway.

Edited by ThomasZZ

They could book a rehearsal space but Axl would not show up. Axl couldn't even be bothered to turn up for the sessions for CD with his new guys and this is an expensive studio with expensive equipment on his own album. The chances of him downsizing and working in a sweaty rehearsal space again in a democratic manner are slim.

zero

Marc, do you think that Duff could possibly be the bridge between Axl and Slash ? And why don't you just drive one day up to Malibu and give Axl a visit ? Do you think that Axl would want to talk to you if Beta told him you are at the door ?

I guess Duff does not wants to get in that situation now, I guess Marc said he sent a text to beta for the Forum shows, but beta gave rude reply that marc did this or that, If Marc visits Axl's home then Beta will tell him to go away and then go to Axl and say that Marc said Slash is a fraud and Duff is Spineless and Scott is still in VR and Axl has Won the war against Slash

I guess the only way Marc and Axl can sort out things is when they personally meet, If somehow they bump in to each other then things can be sorted out, I guess Marc can contact Del if there are future shows

Marc, how is your relationship with Del now? have you texted him in the past few years?

Before it was in 2005

Slash played the Godfather theme with Alex on his Barmitsva, so If Beta attended, did Slash and Beta saw each other? Back then you were in talking terms with Axl, so did you invite Axl or you thought it was not a good Idea as Slash will be there?

Hi Marc, what can you tell us about Beta and team brazil? Is she the evil, brainwashing witch that so many believe her to be?

All I can say is that Beta thinks that I say bad things about Axl and doesn't like me because of that. Its a bit strange since I don't say bad things about Axl infact I stick up for him a lot of the time. The problem is maybe She sees it as because I also say nice things about Slash, maybe it contradicts the bad things that Axl says about Slash?

Before it was in 2005

Slash played the Godfather theme with Alex on his Barmitsva, so If Beta attended, did Slash and Beta saw each other? Back then you were in talking terms with Axl, so did you invite Axl or you thought it was not a good Idea as Slash will be there?

Axl was also invited and was going to come even though he knew that Slash was going to be there but I was told the night of Nov 5 2005 that Axl was home sleeping. Maybe Beta didnt want them together in the same room or maybe Axl was really sleeping because he was up working all night the night before?

• Like 1

I guess Duff does not wants to get in that situation now, I guess Marc said he sent a text to beta for the Forum shows, but beta gave rude reply that marc did this or that, If Marc visits Axl's home then Beta will tell him to go away and then go to Axl and say that Marc said Slash is a fraud and Duff is Spineless and Scott is still in VR and Axl has Won the war against Slash

I guess the only way Marc and Axl can sort out things is when they personally meet, If somehow they bump in to each other then things can be sorted out, I guess Marc can contact Del if there are future shows

Marc, how is your relationship with Del now? have you texted him in the past few years?

I have not seen Del in a while but wouldn't want to really see him because I don't want him to get in trouble for talking to me. My wife sometimes bumps into him at concerts. Del is cool and there is no bad blood between us. Infact when things were starting to go wrong with Axl not wanting me to put out my book in 2007, Del was the one who tried to help fix it. I think if I were to try to communicate with Axl or the other way around, I think Del would make for a middle man.

Edited by recklessroad

Hi Marc, what can you tell us about Beta and team brazil? Is she the evil, brainwashing witch that so many believe her to be?

All I can say is that Beta thinks that I say bad things about Axl and doesn't like me because of that. Its a bit strange since I don't say bad things about Axl infact I stick up for him a lot of the time. The problem is maybe She sees it as because I also say nice things about Slash, maybe it contradicts the bad things that Axl says about Slash?

Before it was in 2005

Axl was also invited and was going to come even though he knew that Slash was going to be there but I was told the night of Nov 5 2005 that Axl was home sleeping. Maybe Beta didnt want them together in the same room or maybe Axl was really sheeping because he was up working all night the night before?

Thanks Marc!

Axl was also invited and was going to come even though he knew that Slash was going to be there but I was told the night of Nov 5 2005 that Axl was home sleeping. Maybe Beta didnt want them together in the same room or maybe Axl was really sleeping because he was up working all night the night before?

Daimn, so that was another of that very few big opportunitys to them, not to reunite but to get in speaking terms with each other. It's somehow strange to believe these two guy live in the same city but did manage not to meet in the last two decades. It's not that they aren't different as a person but I think still they have much in common. It's highly doubtful but hopefully this will be a happy ending story some day.

Before it was in 2005

Interesting...I believe that's right around the time Slash went to Axl's house early in the morning.

They could book a rehearsal space but Axl would not show up. Axl couldn't even be bothered to turn up for the sessions for CD with his new guys and this is an expensive studio with expensive equipment on his own album. The chances of him downsizing and working in a sweaty rehearsal space again in a democratic manner are slim.

If it is to be a proper reunion, then Axl shouldn't show up- just like the Appetite, Illusion, and Spaghetti sessions. A proper GNR album doesn't get done with Axl in the same room as the other guys. The next room maybe, but never the same.

Edited by Mr. Dude

If it is to be a proper reunion, then Axl shouldn't show up- just like the Appetite, Illusion, and Spaghetti sessions. A proper GNR album doesn't get done with Axl in the same room as the other guys. The next room maybe, but never the same.

Not true for Appetite. They all shared the same sweaty rehearsal space.

awesome documentary! i really loved what you said in it.

hopefully there will be a gnr reunion in a couple of years, we really need it !

Gunner PT and Wkuk dislike your comment

• Like 1

Not true for Appetite. They all shared the same sweaty rehearsal space.

The vocals were done separately though and he rarely ever sang at rehearsals. Mostly he only sang with everyone else present at the shows. Then and now.

Edited by Mr. Dude

I really liked this mini doc series. I imagine Axl is mad about this. He seems to hate reunion talk because "he's always the bad guy". I think Axl is a person who takes what people say very personal and cares what people think of him. The reunion talk gives him the bad image with fans.

The good thing is Axl is just starting a break from touring and the band. So he won't have to deal with media or anyone asking him questions about it. It's easy for him to stay quiet and to be honest we are unsure if Axl even has a band at the moment. If by some miracle he sees this and it strikes a cord with him to get in touch with you or Slash then it makes now a better time than ever.

Basically the timing of this in Axl's life is perfect. It's not distracting to his current band and it might give him something to think about. So while you were misrepresented in the documentary, I don't think it will hurt. Also Axl understands media and how they can twist things, it's a big reason why he avoids it and closes out notes with "if this is quoted I want it put in its entirety" IMO ,so he would probably just say "I could have told you that would happen"