What Music Shit Are You Watching? (videos, interviews, docu's etc)

Len Cnut

54 minutes ago, Zint said:

Where the fuck have you been sir?  On the subject of The Stiff Little Fingers, fuckin' incredible band, if anybody could relate to being the fuckin' no future kids its kids from Belfast in the 1970s, with the British Army rolling through the fuckin' neighbourhood and the IRA ducking in and out of side roads and alleys.  Proper war in the streets stuff of a kind people shouldn't have to endure, young or otherwise.  Cracking album too, Inflammable Matierial.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Where the fuck have you been sir?  On the subject of The Stiff Little Fingers, fuckin' incredible band, if anybody could relate to being the fuckin' no future kids its kids from Belfast in the 1970s, with the British Army rolling through the fuckin' neighbourhood and the IRA ducking in and out of side roads and alleys.  Proper war in the streets stuff of a kind people shouldn't have to endure, young or otherwise.  Cracking album too, Inflammable Matierial.

Hey Len! I've been kicking around, dealing with life's shit, deaths, all of the ups and downs that come with it.

I saw Stiff Little Fingers in London Ontario last Fall and they were amazing.
Old band mates of mine were there. We all raised a toast for a good friend who survived 10 hour factory shifts back in the day listening to SLF (the job took its toll ultimately, you can only do so many uppers to get through a shift before it catches up to you...we lost him at 39).
Inflammable Material, yes, brilliant album. Great fucking band.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zint said:

Hey Len! I've been kicking around, dealing with life's shit, deaths, all of the ups and downs that come with it.

I saw Stiff Little Fingers in London Ontario last Fall and they were amazing.
Old band mates of mine were there. We all raised a toast for a good friend who survived 10 hour factory shifts back in the day listening to SLF (the job took its toll ultimately, you can only do so many uppers to get through a shift before it catches up to you...we lost him at 39).
Inflammable Material, yes, brilliant album. Great fucking band.

Did you see our John kicking off with Marky Ramone the other day? :lol:

Just now, Zint said:

I did. Props to Marky giving it right back though. Everyone else looked scared. :lol:

I think its more a personal dignity thing than actually scared, Marky don’t give a fuck though, bless him.  And y’know he does have a substantial pedigree in punk as I’m sure you know, he weren’t just The substitute Ramone (quite apart from the fact he played on more records than Tommy), he’s Marc Bell from The Voidoids and Wayne County.

27 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think its more a personal dignity thing than actually scared, Marky don’t give a fuck though, bless him.  And y’know he does have a substantial pedigree in punk as I’m sure you know, he weren’t just The substitute Ramone (quite apart from the fact he played on more records than Tommy), he’s Marc Bell from The Voidoids and Wayne County.

Absolutely! Marky's a cool guy and a great drummer.
He signed my Archie Meets Ramones comic a while back. :heart:
image.thumb.png.a2ef8bf7701fabba0ffbddfc6f94569e.png

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Aw fuck, I want an Archie meets The Ramones comic too! :( (really, I do!)

That's a variant cover. There are several covers. 
Check it out here if you want to order one (or more)
https://store.archiecomics.com/collections/archie/products/archie-meets-the-ramones-cover-a
And if you go to the main page, you might see a discount coupon.
https://store.archiecomics.com/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

@Len Cnut

Getting ready to watch that Epix Punk documentary, but with a pause. Been putting if off cause I'm really hoping that it's not going to be a rehash of just about every punk documentary that's been made for the past 20+ years.

It pretty much is but its new interviews and a little more focus on Bad Brains and certain other bands that deserve an airing, its definitely worth the watch.  Look, what are they gonna tell us that the punk mentalists dont already know?  The first second and third episode were great, I dunno man, its a rehash to people like me and you cuz we fuckin’ hunt that shit (or i so anyway) but really how much of an airing does this shit get?  More the merrier if you ask me.  I’m really hoping the 4th part focuses on post punk in relation to Iggys early work and that German influence, those guys were the only good thing that is ever cast under the banner of that awful ‘prog’ label.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, Len Cnut said:

It pretty much is but its new interviews and a little more focus on Bad Brains and certain other bands that deserve an airing, its definitely worth the watch.  Look, what are they gonna tell us that the punk mentalists dont already know?  The first second and third episode were great, I dunno man, its a rehash to people like me and you cuz we fuckin’ hunt that shit (or i so anyway) but really how much of an airing does this shit get?  More the merrier if you ask me.  I’m really hoping the 4th part focuses on post punk in relation to Iggys early work and that German influence, those guys were the only good thing that is ever cast under the banner of that awful ‘prog’ label.

Cool. Glad they at least Bad Brains some focus. I grew up around DC and used to go to punk shows as a teenager around the late 80's. Got to see Dave Grohl drumming for Scream before he got snatched up. Everybody knew of the hardcore scene but DC had waaayy more than just that. The original emos weren't the self-loathing I wanna slit my wrists people. They were all pot smoking skaters but with weird, my hair only covers one of my eyes, hairdos. I'd really love to see a doc on just DC scenes. Put in Bad Brains, Ian McKaye, Rollins (cause Henry only works in small doses for me :lol:) but cover bands like Unrest and the Teen Beat aesthetic. Also go-go music needs a spotlight shined on it, although it was a regional thing) I could go on and on.

Yes, post punk needs to be covered cause, to me, that's where things got more interesting. Noise rock, no wave, experimental improv jazz rock, etc. Prog is so awful and boring as fuck, I hate even saying that word. It's like walking up to a wholesome pretty girl and just calling her a "useless cunt" :lol:. The only people who were into that shit were all left-over hippies and always chatted out "being technical" whatever the fuck that means.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Ever see that? 

Yes, post punk needs to be covered cause, to me, that's where things got more interesting. Noise rock, no wave, experimental improv jazz rock, etc. Prog is so awful and boring as fuck, I hate even saying that word. It's like walking up to a wholesome pretty girl and just calling her a "useless cunt" :lol:. The only people who were into that shit were all left-over hippies and always chatted out "being technical" whatever the fuck that means.

Post punk does get covered a bit in Punk Attitude the Don Letts one and that three part one the BBC did, the last episode of that one was pretty much about post punk.  No Wave, I think, was fuckin' brilliant, James Chance, Glenn Branca, Sonic Youth.  The thing that bothers me about Prog was the lack of ideas.  To me ideas are everything, first you've got to have the ideas and then like, the technical skill...but these guys just kinda make it about technical skill and it got to a point where you begin to question the very nature of skill and its value overall.  What is the true skill, is it the understanding of how something works or is it the ability to apply a degree of understanding?  Prog is a blind alley, like being trapped in a maze with no exit.

Took a peek at the 4th installment of that punk documentary, its all about Offspring, Green Day, NOFX, Bad Religion and Nirvana and that...fuck that shit, though I quite like Nirvana and I think there was a bit of Kathleen Hanna and them in it, I ain't sitting through an hour of shite for 10 mins of shit I already know. 

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:17 AM, Len Cnut said:

Ever see that? 

Post punk does get covered a bit in Punk Attitude the Don Letts one and that three part one the BBC did, the last episode of that one was pretty much about post punk.  No Wave, I think, was fuckin' brilliant, James Chance, Glenn Branca, Sonic Youth.  The thing that bothers me about Prog was the lack of ideas.  To me ideas are everything, first you've got to have the ideas and then like, the technical skill...but these guys just kinda make it about technical skill and it got to a point where you begin to question the very nature of skill and its value overall.  What is the true skill, is it the understanding of how something works or is it the ability to apply a degree of understanding?  Prog is a blind alley, like being trapped in a maze with no exit.

Oh yeah. I got it on one, of many, data discs. Haven't seen it in a while. I think they even cover go-go music in it. Talk about something that never went beyond the VA/DC/MD area :lol: The whole area has always been "different" to say the least. Long hairs and punkers always seemed to get along. Everyone ingested each others style of music, mostly through tape trading and setting up shows were you wouldn't expect one. I remember back in 93 I went to a death metal show that was taking place in an evangelical church. Fucking bizarre :lol:

The Punk: Attitude one is in my top 5 of best docs about punk. There is a part in it that makes me laugh about Don Letts was making more money "selling bloody spliffs" than through alcohol sales. They kinda touched on post-punk on that one. The only doc I know that goes fully deep into no wave is called Kill Your Idols. I have yet to see that one just for the fact I didn't even know it existed until about a year or two ago. What I love about no wave is the fact it is all about using the sounds (instrumentation wise) that nobody else liked or wanted. It encompasses everything of what I love. It's about the music but also film, literature, art exhibitions, and was the first outsiders to champion hip-hop. That whole scene has been such a huge influence on me on what I create. You can't have Greta Van Fleet type of rip off bands for no wave. There's no such thing as a carbon copy of James Chance, Lydia Lunch, DNA, etc. It's sonically impossible.

Prog is just self-indulgent wankery for Dungeon & Dragons fans. The technicality IS their most important part seeing as how the "songs" can go on for 25 fucking minutes. I'll gladly sit through a 25 minute song if it is Parliament/Funkadelic. At least it'll groove  the entire time. Can't forget about the concept albums. The concepts aren't even interesting for crying out loud. "Shall I goeth out and slay the giant?" :facepalm: Fucking hell man. Also you'd never see Joe Strummer playing on something that looks like it belongs on the Ice Capades *looks at Rick Wakeman* I've never met someone who was either a fan of prog or even played prog liking punk. Well I guess the feeling is mutual there ya Pink Floyd/ELP nutswinger :lol:

Edited by Jabberwocky