What Music Shit Are You Watching? (videos, interviews, docu's etc)

Len Cnut

• 2 weeks later...
On 26-6-2019 at 4:59 PM, Jabberwocky said:

Hüsker Dü and the Birth of Alternative Rock

So many Nirvana mentions, and again no Soul Asylum. They were a lot more involved with Hüsker Dü than most of the bands being mentioned. 

Groundbreaking all-female rock band Ace Of Cups finally gets a record deal

San Francisco’s late-1960s music scene was defined by such acts as the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin and Jefferson Airplane. While their music remains popular to this day, one band of four groundbreaking women from that era is getting a second chance – 50 years later.

• Like 1

KCRW: A Castle On Top of A Hill: The True Story of Fanny

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/lost-notes/a-castle-on-top-of-a-hill-the-true-story-of-fanny

35 minutes long. Player on the left side of screen. Press the green Play button

“One of the most important female bands in American rock has been buried without a trace. And that is Fanny. They were one of the finest fucking rock bands of their time, in about 1973. They were extraordinary: They wrote everything, they played like motherfuckers, they were just colossal and wonderful, and nobody’s ever mentioned them. They’re as important as anybody else who’s ever been, ever; it just wasn’t their time. Revivify Fanny. And I will feel that my work is done.”

David Bowie (Rolling Stone 1999)

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John and Yoko: Above Us Only Sky

can’t believe a John docu came out without my noticing.  I must be slipping in my old age.  You get so used to the existence of John that you become almost blaise about it...then you see the lad in action and its like ‘yeah, thats why he was the fuckin’ man’.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Quite honestly, most women bore me. If they smoke, I'm turned off, if they drink, I'm outta there, if they're stupid, I'm bored, if they're mean, I'm bored, if they're trying to use me, I'm outta there. So I guess I'm very picky. If they don't work out, I'm not interested, if the mind is lazy and the body is lazy, who cares? If they're not in shape, hey... go be fat on someone else's time."

10 hours ago, EvanG said:

"Quite honestly, most women bore me. If they smoke, I'm turned off, if they drink, I'm outta there, if they're stupid, I'm bored, if they're mean, I'm bored, if they're trying to use me, I'm outta there. So I guess I'm very picky. If they don't work out, I'm not interested, if the mind is lazy and the body is lazy, who cares? If they're not in shape, hey... go be fat on someone else's time."

See its stuff like that that makes me think Rollins is a cock.  I'm a big Black Flag fan, I really WANT to like Rollins and to a point I will always respect him...but he bores me with that fake 'intense' shit.  Lets be honest here, he was the worst of the Black Flag singers, he's not particularly good at acting or writing, by his own admission, he's just a hard worker, which is fair enough...this other stuff comes across as really put on.  He strikes me as a person who never got over getting bullied in school.  'if they're stupid I'm bored', well you're hardly Oscar Wilde yourself Hank ;)  When you scratch beneath the surface there's very little of substance there which leaves me thinking well, why should I listen to you?  And I've heard most of his spoken word stuff, read 'Get in the Van'.  Honestly he's like the terminal teenager.

Edited by Len Cnut

Rollins got to be the singer of Black Flag because of his energy and anger, and he somehow managed to produce a primal scream that fitted the music, not because of his musical talent, he talks about that in the clip as well.

As far as being fake, I don't agree... I mean, the way he says it comes off childish, especially coming from a guy who was already in his 30s at the time, but he's very direct and honest, and I respect that. I probably wouldn't have gotten along with this guy at the time, but I can sorta relate to what he says. And you gotta love the quote ''go be fat on someone else's time'' in a quasi-funny way... god knows how many times I've used that quote myself.

Rollins is a different man now, though, he seems to have lost a lot of his anger and puts things more into perspective, his interview on HARDtalk is a good example of that.

Edited by EvanG

32 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Rollins got to be the singer of Black Flag because of his energy and anger, and he somehow managed to produce a primal scream that fitted the music, not because of his musical talent, he talks about that in the clip as well.

As far as being fake, I don't agree... I mean, the way he says it comes off childish, especially coming from a guy who was already in his 30s at the time, but he's very direct and honest, and I respect that. I probably wouldn't have gotten along with this guy at the time, but I can sorta relate to what he says. And you gotta love the quote ''go be fat on someone else's time'' in a quasi-funny way... god knows how many times I've used that quote myself.

Rollins is a different man now, though, he seems to have lost a lot of his anger and puts things more into perspective, his interview on HARDtalk is a good example of that.

Reflecting your emotion in an effective way through music requires talent, musical talent which is what Rollings at least at some point had. In his genre technique is not very important. He has become more mellow like many people that grow old. No need for a reply.