Mike Patton once defecated in Axl Rose’s orange juice

RnT

Firstly it wasn't Patton's band. He was just a kid who never even drank much before going on the Real Thing tour. So he was kind of the brat in the band. And they were forced to tour way past breaking point. But Patton didn't take his band on tour and piss on Axl's monitor. He was kind of semi forced to go on the tour. Jim really respected Slash asa guitar player, Gould was ambitious and driven. Patton was just there to get everything out on stage.

So when he got famous he rejected it like Cobain did in a way with sarcasm. And sending up the rock star thing, which Axl was kind of born to play. Patton just wasn't having any of that.

He attacked it by pushing Jim over for his solo or never explaining his lyrics in any meaningful way. So interviews were very difficult as the questions were calling for certain answers. I guess the questions about tour stories were strange when all do is pack hair dryers full of shit in hotel rooms and do interviews eating raw mince meat with his nipples attached to electric shock machine.

I'm not sure he even wrote the lyrics on RT? He did more on AD and may have written more music. The Shit Terrorist was kind of like Bono's Fly. Which is funny because Bono copied a lot of Patton's move around that time.

Patton came out a few times criticising the dinosaur bands so pouring urine on his head on Axl's monitor was just make sure nobody thought they were a hair band. I think in actual fact the South American fans were raining down bottles of piss because he had made fun of Axl in the media. I think he was saying Axl was going bald and was very sensitive about it and kind of withdrew the piss about Axl liking Midlife Crisis. The classic FNM in joke is that all the songs are about masturbation. I think obviously Parton is lampooning 30 something's going through a midlife crisis, it's not a self help book. I guess he's jerking off to In Bed with Madonna laughing at how hard they are trying. It's not a song you have a deep spiritual connection with that means a lot to you. But yeah way to be an asshole!

Also another is that FNM were a band of individuals or even enemies. Patton hated Big Jim's redneck philosophy and metal solos. After Jim left you get some weird post rock solos like Last to Know is almost a whole genre of solo. I think Puffy was pretty sober while the rest were a mess so he was the band's outcast. Roddy slipped into heroin. Gould was maybe solid but had a singer who was going a bit crazy. Still the band on the Angel Dust tour were never on autopilot.

He also doesn't like the timeless thing. He says it just sounds like nothing, not timeless. And that most people listen to music like its a disease. Like the same virus over and over. And he likes stuff that is different. That's what he looks for. Their musical tastes seemed very eclectic, like techno to lounge music to rap. They weren't 70s fixated LA glam band. Patton still steps out to complain about 70s revival bands. I see what he means but I like a lot of those bands. It is kind of stupid though its 2015 and you dress like its 1971. Just basically to sell records to guys who read Kerrang under the sheets with a flashlight.

But he has said that the Shit Terrorist phase was a defense mechanism, and that having a substance habit, fame and his particular view point tied him in knots. A bit like Kurt it was played out in public.

This says it all.

10/10 post from Wasted.

Yeah, Faith No More's one of my favourite bands and Wasted was pretty on point there. Some people dream of being famous, while others get famous when they're really young and may not like or understand it. It has a lot of great pros, but there's a long list of cons as well. There's definitely an interesting parallel between Patton and Cobain there, trying to figure out how to deal with all the madness.

Angel Dust was a conscious effort to make an artistic statement that was very anti-commercial, I remember being bewildered by it at first but it's fucking brilliant. One of my top 10 or 20 favourite albums of all time, and a lot better than In Utero (which I do like as well). Neither come close to the Illusions for me as a follow-up, but they're all great. With the new album out, I've been listening to a lot of FNM lately and had forgotten about how great the vocal melodies are on King For a Day. Great band.

• Like 2

If there is someone who deserves turds in their Orange Juice, it is W. Axl Rose. Well done Mike.

The worst thing Mike said about Axl was when asked about Axl's legendary perfectionism Mike said: He's perfect. The perfect prick.

Not sure why Mike hates Axl so much. I guess they were polar opposites.

Patton's take on Kurt suicide was that some people see a sunset and think nice ambience, others just think its getting darker.

My favorite bands all hate each other but Duff, Chris and Roddy are down to fuck.

Faith No More = Great Band

Mike Patton = Douchebag (and not just because of the shitting in Axl's OJ thing)

It's just the tip of the turd. Edited by wasted

Any beef between Axl and Mike is nothing compared to the hatred between Faith No More and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I can only imagine that the Anthony Kiedis equivalent of Axl fanboys must really feel their blood boiling whenever they think of Patton.

BTW ... Mike always was an idiot ... If you see the Dead Horse video, you'll see Axl falling on stage ... Mike was the responsible for that .

Explain this, please..

FNM opened for GN'R here in Portugal in 1992 ... Mike asked the public to throw bottles and other stuff on stage when GN'R started their show...

Axl slipped on one of those bottles/liquid when he was running around and he falled on stage. The images of Axl falling are in the Dead Horse Video (https://youtu.be/u8X76NRiQLQ?t=2m)

He sang 3 or 4 songs on the floor and then he left. When he came back he rant ... and he also rant when some morons were litterally burning the place. GN'R classified that show as the weirdest one of that tour.The guy almost killed himself when he falled, he asked people to stop burning the place, but in the next day some news papers had on their first page Axl with a pink lace on his head and the "Pussy" word in highlights.

So... nothing new ...

Yes, I have seen the Dead Horse video and Axl falling (he has fallen onstage) but I never heard that story.

I hope you're not making it up.

Any beef between Axl and Mike is nothing compared to the hatred between Faith No More and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I can only imagine that the Anthony Kiedis equivalent of Axl fanboys must really feel their blood boiling whenever they think of Patton.

Yeah that shit got pretty deep between them.

Patton is Patton. He's crazy and doesn't care. Never has. Their new album is sick though.

Edited by J Dog

He's a bit of a clown to be sure, but IMO Epic and Falling to Pieces (the FNM song) are fucking great. Plus, and here's the really important part, their live cover of War Pigs (the performance on the Nativity in Black album) fucking slays!!!

I also wonder what Patton thought about GNR and/or Buckethead when Bucket joined the band? I know Patton was a fan of the Deli Creeps. Plus, they both seem to have an infinity for shit. Remember this:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/198065-was-buckethead-marginalized-by-his-gnr-bandmates-to-the-point-of-leaving/page-7

Edited by troccoli

War pigs is a great, great cover.

I never knew much about the hate between fnm and the chillis, where did that come from?

It's weird you mention it because I was thinking the frat boy shit that Patton was doing was also being done by the chillis around that time. Anthony did socks on cocks, Patton went fully naked.

• Like 1

http://ca.complex.com/music/2012/09/the-50-greatest-beefs-in-rock-music-history/anthony-kiedis-v-mike-patton

When Red Hot Chili Peppers’ frontman Anthony Kiedis saw the video for Faith No More’s 1990 hit “Epic,” he felt like he was being mocked and ripped off by FNM’s singer Mike Patton; he later said it was “like I was looking in the mirror.” The two bands threatened each other in the press but the feud soon fizzled. In 1999 it was resurrected when related-band Mr. Bungle appeared at a Halloween show as the “Red Hot Chili Peppers,” mockingly performing RHCP songs in-costume as the band. Kiedis was not amused and had Mr. Bungle removed from the Big Day Out festival in Australia and New Zealand, threatening not to perform with RHCP if Mr. Bungle was on the bill.

• Like 1

Chilis accused Patton of copying them so that inspired the Falling to Pieces video?

I think Keidis got them kicked off a festival bill?

I think mostly it's all just fun and games and no real problem. I doubt they are going do anything about it. It's almost promo.

Remember when Slash wanted Patton to audition for VR?

He's a bit of a clown to be sure, but IMO Epic and Falling to Pieces (the FNM song) are fucking great. Plus, and here's the really important part, their live cover of War Pigs (the performance on the Nativity in Black album) fucking slays!!!

I also wonder what Patton thought about GNR and/or Buckethead when Bucket joined the band? I know Patton was a fan of the Deli Creeps. Plus, they both seem to have an infinity for shit. Remember this:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/198065-was-buckethead-marginalized-by-his-gnr-bandmates-to-the-point-of-leaving/page-7

Maximum Bob is on a song (Stub A Dub) on the self titled Mr Bungle album too.

Chilis accused Patton of copying them so that inspired the Falling to Pieces video?

I think Keidis got them kicked off a festival bill?

I think mostly it's all just fun and games and no real problem. I doubt they are going do anything about it. It's almost promo.

Remember when Slash wanted Patton to audition for VR?

I caught a few shows on Bungle's California Screaming tour and Neil Hamburger (the comedian, support act) took the piss out of Keidis during his act each time.

• Like 1

For the Everything's Ruined video the band dressed up as GNR. Jim Martin was Slash, Roddy was Duff, Mike was Axl.

Huh? I don't see that. I think Mike looks more like Axl in Falling to Pieces, with the kilt on and the long hair. But then that was 1989, so before Axl got the kilt.

On topic: yes, I think Patton has always been a douche, but I love him nonetheless.

I remember seeing FNM at the Marquee in London in the late 80s and the beer tasted like shit there. I wonder if Mike defecated in the barrel :) That was a great night, the Marquee let me in barefooted, and one of the guys I was with got into a handbags at dawn fight with a group on 10 years old just before we went in and he got his glasses broke, so he was essentially blind for the whole gig which was interesting

Saw FNM 3 times at Rock City in Nottingham back in the day. Mike used to joke about them being the house band. He came across as a cool fucker. At the second gig he shared his last tin of red stripe with me from the stage. Presumably he'd shat in it, but it's all good.

• Like 1

I also wonder what Patton thought about GNR and/or Buckethead when Bucket joined the band? I know Patton was a fan of the Deli Creeps. Plus, they both seem to have an infinity for shit.

Patton and Bucket had a one-off show together in 2000, but I can't imagine he had a very significant impression at the time

Claypool and Bucket's antics, however.. :P

• Like 1