SHENMUE III

Amir

10 million dollars is going to be a tough road to hoe. the largest game ever funded was a little under 9 mil with most large funded games sitting around 3-5 mil. as it is now shenmue 3 is at 6th for the most funded game in history of kickstarter. i will donate 100 dollars this coming friday or saturday, i hope it hits close to 10 but im not sure that is likely.

• Like 1

10 million dollars is going to be a tough road to hoe. the largest game ever funded was a little under 9 mil with most large funded games sitting around 3-5 mil. as it is now shenmue 3 is at 6th for the most funded game in history of kickstarter. i will donate 100 dollars this coming friday or saturday, i hope it hits close to 10 but im not sure that is likely.

Yeah, I'm already impressed by how successful it's been, especially considering the shoddy clickbait journalism telling people not to donate. Sigh, I really despise a lot of modern video gaming journos, just trying to get people angry to get advertising revenue.

I think $5 mill is a certainty but hopefully it ends up a bit beyond that. They need a new video to emphasise why this game series is so important, as it is it's just confusing to newcomers.

Amir, I think I've seen you on the dojo from time to time (I'm just a lurker there)..

Shenmue is a very important series of games to me - it pretty much defined my teenage years (I met my best friend because of a mutual love for the game and as a consequence that shaped a lot of the things I ended up doing as a teenager). I couldn't believe it when I saw the kickstarter/announcement - I never thought this day would come.

• Like 1

I finally joined ShenmueDojo in April, was thinking of joining last year around GDC 2014 after years of lurking since I thought Yu was gonna announce Shenmue III then, at least we've got it now!

New rewards, including physical PS4 copy, and being in the game!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Really want to be in the game but even the $1,500 is a bit beyond my means...

Amir, being someone who has never played these games, can you please tell me, briefly, what it is about and why should I waste my time playing them? Thanks.

The first Shenmue was the reason I bought a Dreamcast and really got into gaming. It's set in Yokosuka, Japan in 1986 and opens with a teenager called Ryo Hazuki coming home to see his father being killed by a mysterious Chinese man named Lan Di, who accuses Ryo's father of having killed someone called Zhao Sunming in China years ago. Ryo swears vengeance and seeks to find Lan Di.

To be honest, the story is mostly standard fare, but it was the open world that was mindblowing at the time. There's a lot of distractions for Ryo's quest for vengeance, including buying capsule toys, going to fortune tellers, sparring with your housemate in your dojo, practicing martial arts moves in an empty parking lot, playing Sega arcade games in an arcade such as Hang-On, Outrun, Space Harrier, getting a job as a forklift truck driver, or even just grabbing a Coke from a vending machine... No games have ever been more immersive for me than the 2 Shenmue games (I prefer the second because there's a ton of action 3/4 through the game, including a section like The Raid where you have to go up a building taking out gangsters on each floor). I also loved the real-time Virtua Fighter-style combat in the game, as I liked the idea of story-based RPGs but was turned off by the turn-based combat in all of them.

Here's a teaser trailer that just came out yesterday for a fan-made documentary that will be coming out (they're delaying the release due to having to film new scenes thanks to the surprise announcement of Shenmue III):

Here's a video with another dude's opinion:

And here's an article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-05-what-makes-shenmue-2s-open-world-so-special

I've decided to go all out and go for the $1,500 pledge, to be a part of the Shenmue series in any small way means a lot to me.

Edited by Amir

Thanks, Amir. Since you're a crazy fan of the game. Can you please tell me if there's a way I can play the first two games without having to find a Dreamcast console?

You can emulate them on PC, a couple of good Dreamcast emulators for PC are DEmul and NullDC. There's also Reicast for Android though you need a pretty powerful Android device. There'll be ROMs for the games on sites like the IsoZone. I recommend downloading a PAL ROM of each game, as you can carry over the save from PAL Shenmue I to PAL Shenmue II. The official PAL release of Shenmue I was an English dub while the the official PAL release of Shenmue II was a Japanese dub with English subtitles. There's a fanmade patched version of PAL Shenmue I called Shenmue Undub which is Japanese dub with English subs, supposed to work pretty well, but I'd prob stick with the normal PAL version for first playthrough.

If you can get a Dreamcast, though, go for it! ;)

NT, download a Dreamcast EMU(DCEmu is my preference) and play the first two. I actually play the first one from time to time still on my emulator :lol: Should have never sold my Dreamcast.

Amir, i'm glad there's another Shenmue fanatic around here man!

• Like 1

NT, download a Dreamcast EMU(DCEmu is my preference) and play the first two. I actually play the first one from time to time still on my emulator :lol: Should have never sold my Dreamcast.

Amir, i'm glad there's another Shenmue fanatic around here man!

I've still got my PAL copies of Shenmue I and II (along with the NTSC US copy of Shenmue I, first copy I ever had) along with a PAL Dreamcast and VGA box to play on an LCD monitor, game still looks beautiful. I got a spare copy of Shenmue II along with the Dreamcast and some other games last summer for like £50, sold the game on its own the other week for £85 thanks to the renewed interest in the series. If I get an Android phone in the future it's gonna blow my mind to play Shenmue on a fucking phone, didn't think that'd happen just 15 years after I played the game on the most powerful console at the time.

Just 20 spots left out of 128 "I AM SHENMUE" pledges that get your photo and name in the game in an inn.